active 3 minutes ago
  • Profile picture of carrie
    active 5 minutes ago
  • Profile picture of John
    active 8 minutes ago

Lansing

(76 posts) (29 voices)
Started 2 months ago by Michrider .

This topic contains 75 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jeff Jeff Sanders 4 days, 11 hours ago.

When I look at the Google map for Lansing IA, it looks like there is one 2 lane bridge. Sounds like getting out of town might be a problem. Anyone have info?

• Profile photo of "Bicycle Bill"
    “Bicycle Bill”
  • Definitely would recommend the Minnesota/Iowa side (highway 26) if planning to cycle to/from Lansing to La Crosse.  Road conditions are in fact comparable — both sides now have a roughly three-foot striped-off section of pavement; not a bike lane per se but usable as such — and there’s a few more places to stop if you want food, drink, or a bathroom break (or a booty bar!) on the Wisconsin side, but the traffic on Wisconsin 35 is definitely heavier, especially at the start and end of the working day as a lot of people commute into La Crosse along that route, and generally traveling at a higher speed than on highway 26.

-“BB”-

Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago ago #1205745

• Profile photo of Scott
    LawnchairMan
  • Genefruit,

Your suggested route from Waukon to Lansing is interesting. I thought you nailed it until I noticed that X26 is a dirt road. I originally thought that A52 was too, so I ruled that out from the start. Now, thanks to you, I will explore routes that way. I wonder if the start point is from the middle of town or at the main camp ground. I assume the end point is the dip site. I’d love to hear more of your suggestions!

Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago ago #1206384

• Profile photo of jim
    jwsknk
  • The start point is either the main campground or the register Hotel. Whichever will be different by the time you finish your days ride 🙂

Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago ago #1206389

• Profile photo of Gene
    genefruit
  • LawnchairMan,

Good catch and I’ve revised accordingly. I’m running into the same issue, as I can get the distance but not the climb. We’ll know in a couple of months. Regardless, I expect there will be many taking the A52 to X52 shortcut that day.

Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago ago #1206394

• Profile photo of Gene
    genefruit
  • Goreny82, you’re likely correct but the climb is certainly less than what has been announced.

Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago ago #1206413

• Profile photo of John
    jpclark7
  • Michrider DON’T CARE HOW DIFFICULT IT IS!!!

Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago ago #1206434

• Profile photo of Michrider
    Michrider .
  • jpclark7: Michrider DON’T CARE HOW DIFFICULT IT IS!!!

HUH???

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago ago #1206439

• Profile photo of Geoff
    Groeny82
  • I noticed that too genefruit. I’ll play around with the route after work and see if I can get more climb and still stay within ÷/- a few miles of the announced mileage.

Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago ago #1206459

• Profile photo of Geoff
    Groeny82
  • I’ve tried a bunch of different routes and the closest I can get to what they have announced of 44.8 miles and 3,200 ft of climb is a climb of 2,416 ft in 50.2 miles. This is that route. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18803762 The next closest I got to the climb was 2,354 ft in 45.6 miles. This is that route. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18803704 Maybe BB or someone else familiar with the area knows of any other route that would get us the mileage and that much climb. I don’t know the area and was just using satellite images to try to find paved roads, so I might have missed something. I figured the riders would be getting into Lansing from the south, the vehicles would go in from Highway 9, and the exit would be to the north so it’s easy to get to the interstate so I only focused on a southern route out of Waukon. I can get up to 2,800+ feet of climb but then I’m at over 55 miles. Either the Register knows of a secret route, or I did something wrong, or their numbers are very flexible. Any other ideas anyone?

Posted 1 month, 2 weeks ago ago #1208015

• Profile photo of Geoff
    Groeny82
  • The one thing I don’t like about the 50.2 mile route is that it won’t be going through a town for 30 miles. Makes me think the 45 mile route is more plausible.

Posted 1 month, 2 weeks ago ago #1208017

• Profile photo of jim
    jwsknk
  • What happens if you take 76 from Waukon to the Effigy Mounds Visitors center (They say 17 miles). Double back a little to right on Smokey Hollow Rd. Right on Luster heights RD to X52. Right to Harpers Ferry. Left on Lansing Harpers Rd. X42 into Lansing. The dip sit at marina just before it joins up with X52?

Posted 1 month, 2 weeks ago ago #1208065

• Profile photo of Geoff
    Groeny82
  • Smokey Hollow and Luster Heights are both gravel roads.

Posted 1 month, 2 weeks ago ago #1208115

• Profile photo of Geoff
    Groeny82
  • This is a longer route than people will probably want on the last day, but it’s one I could get behind. It goes past the Effigy Mounds Center, rides along the river quite a ways, through the Yellow River State Forest, through Marquette and Harper’s Ferry. Effigy Mounds would be a cool place to go past, I think a lot of people would enjoy it, myself included. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18816027

Posted 1 month, 2 weeks ago ago #1208135

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy