Forums

Forums Categories

• Categories

• Topics

Members

Lansing

(76 posts) (29 voices)
Started 2 months ago by Michrider .

This topic contains 75 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jeff Jeff Sanders 4 days, 11 hours ago.

When I look at the Google map for Lansing IA, it looks like there is one 2 lane bridge. Sounds like getting out of town might be a problem. Anyone have info?

• Profile photo of TJ
    TJ Juskiewicz
  • unless they come by boat to pick up people that want to quit, there is only one road that takes them to Harpers, the other one is the bike route which is narrow and winds through the forest.

it’s not too hard to control one road and make it for local vehicles only…

we suggest people just follow the route and enjoy the day. What people decide to do, we cant control that.

Posted 1 week, 4 days ago ago #1231124

• Profile photo of Banghui
    Niles
  • My team always skip the meeting our bus at meeting town part for the last day so our bus can arrive at the ending town earlier.

Posted 1 week, 4 days ago ago #1231146

• Profile photo of Mary
    Mary
  • I looks like a very scenic and beautiful ride!!

Posted 1 week, 4 days ago ago #1231229

• Profile photo of Ken
    KenH
  • There is no meeting town the last day.

Team buses won’t be able to climb the hills on the route to get to any possible meeting town!!

I have a great deal of confidence in the creativity of the human mind and spirit when it comes to overcoming road blocks, literal or figurative, thrown up between the common man and whatever it is that he most dearly wants to do on any given day. And whether they succeed at overcoming them or not the attempt to do so can still create quite a mess. But I am also an engineer with decades of experience at giving advice to management. I can point out a potential problem and suggest that plans for dealing with it be included but ultimately I have no control over what management decides to do, or not do. 😉

Posted 1 week, 4 days ago ago #1231326

• Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan Flugge
  • Its going to be a little tricky at Harpers for my team. We have a cabin that sits 1/2 mile west of Harpers on the Bike Route that we are all going to be getting to, support vehicles included. Thats going to be a mess

Posted 1 week, 4 days ago ago #1231479

• Profile photo of Michael
    maknbacn
  • Has anyone experience difficulty with the Long Term Parking site for Main Street Lansing? The PayPal screen does not allow entry of the dollar amount required.
    And calls to the Main Street contact number have gone unanswered.
    Just afraid the parking is going to fill up before I can get through.

Posted 1 week, 4 days ago ago #1231526

• Profile photo of Pamela
    powellpd
  • I believe several of you know the area from Waukon to Lansing quite well. Looking at the elevation chart on the Saturday road map, I see 4 fairly steep hills we’ll be climbing. Does any of you have an idea what the % grade of those hills is and maybe the mileage duration? I am training in Florida and need to train on hills that match what I will be riding on in Iowa. When I see it’s 3,200 feet of climb in 44 miles I know I better be prepared to ride it! Pam

Posted 1 week, 4 days ago ago #1231595

• Profile photo of Bill
    BillSpriggs
  • powellpd, Do you have headwinds in Florida? Riding into the wind is almost as good as climbing.

Posted 1 week, 4 days ago ago #1231650

• Profile photo of William
    W Fanning
  • Hi powellpd, I used to live in the Tampa area.. what I would do is climb the Intercoastel bridges a lot.. climb in a higher gear..Here’s an event that might help.. on the first Sunday in May they do the cross Florida ride.. they moved it to April.. This year it’s April 2.. https://spacecoastfreewheelers.com/events/xfl/.. where you start in Cocoa Beach Florida and try to get to the Gulf coast by Sunset.. about 170 miles.. you have to climb 2 intercoastel bridges in the first 5 miles.. I’ve done it 2x.. great ride lots of fun… good luck with training..

Posted 1 week, 3 days ago ago #1231813

• Profile photo of Pamela
    powellpd
  • We have headwinds here in Florida around 10-12mph. We don’t have them consistently. I like to practice on actual hills because just looking at them gets me prepared to seeing them on the roads in Iowa. I would like to know the worst I will be facing. Hills are not my favorite road feature!!! Thank you for responding and the advice! Hope to see you in July riding the roads of Iowa!

Posted 1 week, 3 days ago ago #1231896

• Profile photo of jim
    jwsknk
  • you get 6 days of training in Iowa for that last one 🙂

Posted 1 week, 3 days ago ago #1231938

• Profile photo of Cory
    Cory Rood
  • Powellpd,

According to Strava, here are how the hills breakdown.

Coming out of Waterville: 291′ of climb in 1.3 miles, 4.2%

Coming out of The YelloFw River Forrest: 442′ of climb in 1.9 miles, 4.4%

First Hill after Harper’s Ferry: 382′ of climb in 2 miles, 3.6%

Second Hill after Harper’s Ferry: 391′ of climb in 2.6 miles, 2.8%

Don’t be misled by the overall grade, there are protions of them that are over 9%

But Strava has the route with 2700′ of climb total instead of 3200′ But I’m familiar with the roads and can vouch that they will be no joke.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Profile photo of Cory Cory Rood.

Posted 1 week, 3 days ago ago #1232315

• Profile photo of Michrider
    Michrider .
  • Thanks Cory, that’s the kind of info I’m looking for!!!

Posted 1 week, 3 days ago ago #1232322

• Profile photo of "Bicycle Bill"
    “Bicycle Bill”
  • Just remember …. the little chainring and the big sprocket(s) on the rear cluster are there for a reason.  They’re yours, you paid for them, and you should not feel ashamed to use them.  Especially on these hills!!
    (and I’m speaking from personal experience here)

-“BB”-

Posted 1 week, 2 days ago ago #1232509

• Profile photo of Bill
    mootsman
  • maknbacn,

The “donate” button (doesn’t mention PayPal) is of course for any payment option not just PayPal as it allows credit cards also. I used a credit card. You don’t have to use PayPal.

I didn’t have an issue as the amount appears on the screen -before- you hit the PayPal specific button. The screen also requires you add instructions stating its for RAGBRAI parking plus what group you are with. I assume that is for charters like PBV which have areas for their participants to load onto the PBV buses.

I used a credit card and it worked fine.

Posted 1 week, 2 days ago ago #1232538

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy