Forums Categories

• Categories

• Topics

Members

Last night in Lansing?

(15 posts) (12 voices)
Started 2 months, 1 week ago by Vicky van den Berg
Latest reply from Joe Gavin 2 months ago

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe Joe Gavin 2 months ago.

I’m a newbie and wondering to most people spend the night at the last town (ie Lansing) after day 7 of riding or do they tend to meet up with their groups and head on home? I’m heading to Cedar Rapids so would be an easy drive that night.

• Profile photo of Vicky
    Vicky van den Berg
  • I’m a newbie and wondering to most people spend the night at the last town (ie Lansing) after day 7 of riding or do they tend to meet up with their groups and head on home? I’m heading to Cedar Rapids so would be an easy drive that night.

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1234306

• Profile photo of R-Daryl
    R-Daryl Daryl
  • Although camping will be available in Lansing on Saturday night, not many riders stay the night. Saturday’s ride is a “hurry up an go” day with sag service times ending mid afternoon.

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1234374

• Profile photo of Kevin
    Gypsy Rose
  • Sadly, the last day of the ride has a vibe that is quite different from the first six days. Most riders are rushing to the river, packing up and getting out of town. I really wish it wasn’t that way. The folks that I ride with enjoy lingering on the final day, reluctant for the week to end. Somewhere between 5 and 10 miles away from the finish, we gather under a shady tree, with panniers full of cold beer to wait for the unicyclists in our group to catch up before riding to the Mississippi together. By the time we reach the river most other riders from the week are well on way home. We camp for the night, enjoy a final breakfast together on Sunday, then reluctantly leave RAGBRAI for another year.

If you do end up spending the night in Lansing, look for a blue bus with the Team Roadshow name on it. Stop by and share stories from the week.

Cheers,
    ~ Kevin

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1234502

• Profile photo of Amanda
    Amanda
  • Last year we stayed in the overnight town and couldn’t find any other riders! This year we will be staying in Lansing, maybe will look you up!

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1234554

• Profile photo of James
    SFC JKL2
  • I have an 18 hour ride home, so I like to knock out some of it on Saturday and get a hotel along the way. The team has stayed in a hotel at some of the bigger towns, but I don’t see that happening this year.

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1235026

• Profile photo of Randall
    rsmurphy
  • I’ll kind of split the difference. I have a 13 hour ride home so I’ll linger awhile to extend the ride as long as I can and then get at least part way home before I spend the night somewhere.

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1235176

• Profile photo of William
    W Fanning
  • Most likely hang out for a little while.. then drive to De Soto for some awesome pizza & beer.. move on to Madison WI for the night.. next day stop in Milwaukee for a Baseball game.. first pitch 2pm.. nice way to end the week.. relaxing.. hopefully perfecting my tan or sunburn while I catch a baseball game..

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1235597

• Profile photo of Kevin
    Gypsy Rose
  • My drive home (east from Lansing) is about 1,200 miles. Others in my group travel 2,000 miles west to get home. Given that we linger on day seven’s route until finally arriving at the Mississippi somewhere between 3 and 5 pm, it’s nice to get a night’s rest before starting the drive. Typically, we all go out for breakfast on Sunday morning. Anyone know if Lansing has a breakfast spot worth noting?

Cheers,
    ~ Kevin

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1235651

• Profile photo of lawrence
    knees36
  • For quite a few years now I just plug along enjoying the last day of riding then stay in the last town for an overnight and have my wife come pick me up on Sunday. Love it!!! Knees36

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1235877

• Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan Flugge
  • I had never stayed in ending towns in years past, however this year we are staying in Harpers Ferry, but its a short 1.5 hour drive home for the members that bail on us.

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1235950

• Profile photo of Vicky
    Vicky van den Berg
  • Thanks all. Think we will head back to Cedar Rapids after we finish riding that Saturday.

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1236161

• Profile photo of 515rider
    515rider
  • Hi Vicky! I’ll have a 4 hour bus ride back to Des Moines which will be good for a well-deserved nap.
    Doug

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1236336

• Profile photo of Curtis
    Curtis Moore
  • I have to head back to Louisiana from Lansing so I’ll be packed up as soon as I say bye to the kind folks from the group I’m riding with and hit the road. Plan to stop by to see the Field of Dreams in Dywersville for a bit (bucket list item) and hopefully make it to Kansas City that night. Then head on south that Sunday morning.

Posted 2 months ago ago #1240100

• Profile photo of Joe
    Joe Gavin
  • We’re planning on having watermelon, sweet corn, frozen grapes, chocolate milk, other drinks and shade 6 miles south of Lansing (on top of last climb…all down hill to Lansing from here) that day. If it’s hot going to also try to have a small pool set up so people can douse the heat away!

Posted 2 months ago ago #1245419

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy