Forums

Forums Categories

Members

LEFTY 2.0

(86 posts) (25 voices)
Started 1 year ago ago by Michrider
Latest reply from Michrider 8 months, 1 week ago ago

Michrider
  • I’ve had enough of this bone on bone pain!!! Lefty, the knee, is scheduled to be replaced next month by a Zimmer Bionic Knee!!! My Orthopod said I would be ready for RAGBRAI. I will be back in Iowa next July!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OuQJtIWyf8

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by Avatar of Michrider Michrider.

Posted 1 year ago ago #651460

“Bicycle Bill”
  • You with the mechanical knee, and I’ve got this plate and a dozen screws in my left shoulder.

Ain’t we a pair, raggedy-man?

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year ago ago #651534

Michrider
  • Beebs, “we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man.”

Posted 1 year ago ago #651549

SFC JKL2
  • Hope everything goes good. My Mom is one off the horror stories out there with knee replacements. The first was misaligned and the second was replaced with a smaller bottom ball. It’s been 2.5 years and she still isn’t back to 100%.

The northern route next year should be good for your rehab.

Posted 1 year ago ago #651672

Clayhill
  • Very cool video! Bob Villa and Norm Abramson would be proud – using that jig to make sure the holes are perfect! Measure twice, cut once.

Posted 1 year ago ago #651808

Clayhill
  • Seriously, Mich, I have about five orthopods as clients. If you are getting the Zimmer Nexgen then I am told you are probably getting a total knee replacement. I’m a bit surprised you could not get away with a partial (like the Oxford partial). If you need total, your knee really must have been killing you when your rode your bike.

Posted 1 year ago ago #652555

Michrider
  • iceman: Seriously, Mich, I have about five orthopods as clients. If you are getting the Zimmer Nexgen then I am told you are probably getting a total knee replacement. I’m a bit surprised you could not get away with a partial (like the Oxford partial). If you need total, your knee really must have been killing you when your rode your bike.

Iceman, I have severe arthritis in Lefty. He has no cartilage left, none! Yes, I had severe pain much of the time while riding. This year I had to leave GOBA due to the pain!!! I rode one day of RAGBRAI this year (on the PBV bus the rest of the week). Luckily, Lefty did not seriously impact my drinking. We (Dr & I) discussed a partial knee but he said I’d be back for a total within a year or two. I’d rather get it all done now! I’ve had 3 rounds of Synvisc in the past 2 years and 3 doses of cortisone. Synvisc worked the first time but not much since then! Lefty needs to replaced soon!!! Lefty 2.0 is sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting to take over!!!!!!

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Avatar of Michrider Michrider.

Posted 1 year ago ago #652557

Clayhill
  • Well, good luck. We will expect you to dance to the Elders next July.

Posted 1 year ago ago #652826

cyduke
  • Good Luck with the new knee. I can sort of relate. Last week I had Arthoscopic surgery on my right knee. A 3 cm chunk of cartilage was loose, and it was stuck under my IT band. When it worked itself loose it would cause all sorts of problems, and pain.

As it has been said before, “It’s not the age, but the miles”!

Posted 1 year ago ago #652827

Davy Sprocket
  • Good Luck Mitch!

I had my hip replaced last January and rode quite easily this year. Now, the hip is a much easier recovery than a knee, but you are from Kentucky and won’t know that because ya’ll don’t have books and the like, so you will recover even faster. LOL. Just remember, there is no hurry on the Brai and there are many curbs that will await your resting.

God bless!

Davy

Posted 1 year ago ago #653717

jsm
  • Mich,
    Best wishes on a speedy recovery. Remember you are a tough, fit, well humored man who will be ahead of the recovery curve (kurb) established by whinny couch potatoes. Plus this gives you a great excuse to book some extra time with the PBV massage therapist. Look forward to seeing you under the big tent next summer.

Posted 1 year ago ago #655687

Clayhill
  • Am I correct in assuming that Mich is either on the table or in his recovery bed, glowing in the warmth of whatever controlled substance his orthopod had prescribed for him?

My dad – probably 25 years ago – had both knees done at one whack (pardon the pun). He was really sucking down the pain medication for a month or so. The procedure was crude back then in comparison to today so Mich’s recovery should be swift. Plus, the stronger the leg prior to surgery, the better and more rapid the recovery.

Good luck, Mich.

Posted 11 months, 3 weeks ago ago #680841

Michrider
  • Iceman, no surgery yet. The 17th is my designated day on the table!!! At this point, I just want to get it over!!!!

Posted 11 months, 3 weeks ago ago #680881

“Bicycle Bill”
  • iceman: “….glowing in the warmth of whatever controlled substance his orthopod had prescribed for him….”

Whatever they give him, it probably won’t be anything nearly as good — or as inexpensive — as the gin-u-wine Kentucky moonshine I had on a trip to Louisville back in 2001.

Two weeks from today.  Good luck, Mike.
    my trademark — no post genuine without this symbol
    -”BB”-

Posted 11 months, 3 weeks ago ago #680920

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy