Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Looking for a really warm balaclava

(15 posts) (11 voices)
Started 1 year, 10 months ago ago by Ed Kanitra
Latest reply from Just Krusin 1 year, 9 months ago ago

Ed Kanitra
  • Anyone with any recommendations? I am looking for something that will keep my face warm when the temps drop into the lower 30′s.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #451782

Dan in Iowa
  • I’ve been told the Maxit Headgator is the bomb! It seems very versatile and pretty inexpensive.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #452063

Sandaltan
  • Two words….silk balaclava. Go on line or to a motorcycle shop. Motorcycle shops often have items that I have found useful for cold weather cycling.

RIDE RIGHT (Always hand wash anything silk)

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #452143

knees36
  • Ed, you might want to go to the website http://www.Campmor.com They have a plethora of camping gear, seasonal clothing, bicycling gear/clothing, etc. My balaclavas (3) came from Campmor many years ago and they still work great. They have a number of styles from which to choose. Good luck.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #452254

RonB
  • You say a really warm balaclava for lower 30′s. Just my opinion, but:
    1. Probably a thin one would suffice for lower 30′s.
    2. A really warm one usually equals thick, and may not fit very well under a helmet.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #452402

Ragbrai Nation
  • Someone in our cycling club went riding in Burma… never need a balaclava there! 8-)

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #452403

jwsknk
  • 30s I use a skull cap I got at a trial that’s made of receycled plastic bottles and something like lycra maybe and 180s ear muffs. Get down in 0-10′s then I have a baclava and “the Masque ” that I had to modify a bit to open up the mouth more. 0s add ski goggles. Minus temps its the “American Clascics” probably fake rabbit fur ear flaps with the insulated top & back. With that I use a old helmet that has all the pads taken out to fit over it.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #454059

Sandaltan
  • One of these days Skunky we are gonna ride up to Ames just to see your closet!!!

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #454164

knees36
  • Skunky…yep, I use something close to what you do when it’s in the 30′s (as in the BRR ride.) I use my thinner Merino wool balaclava and use thinner pads in my old Giro helmet. When it’s much colder on BRR I use the Merino plus the thicker Polartec balaclava (it has just a small slit to see through) and take out all the pads of my old Giro and it fit just fine over both “clavas.” The year that it was something like -35 degrees I added ski goggles over the sunglasses and had about 1/4 inches of ice on my sunglasses when I got to Rippey. Was getting worried on the way to Rippey because things were getting “wavy” but still felt fine and discovered the icy sunglasses when I got to the Methodist Church for the baked potato lunch. BRRR!!!

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #454187

Michrider
  • Skunky, I agree. I love Baklava, usually with a cup of Eggnog, spiked with a bit of Kentucky Bourbon!!!!!

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #454958

Amanda
  • DANG! Michrider beat me to the Baklava switch!!! Well played Mich!

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #455005

tjemch
  • I got a “BUFF” brand for christma. I love it. It is extra long and the bottom six inches are soft fur with the rest thin nylon. Worked great in 33 degree this morning but was over kill. I will switch to a regular BUFF tomorrow.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #465219

Just Krusin
  • I’ve used a PI microsensor balaclava for years. As it gets colder I start with a PI headband, add a skull cap( both fit under my helmet with minor adjustments) as it gets colder, if windy I have a wind cover for my helmet that works really good and in really cold weather I use the balaclava. Nice thing about it is that I can pull the cover down from my mouth if riding with the wind, so my glasses don’t fog up, and if riding into the wind with it pulled up under my nose my face is warm. Trick with ridng with my face covered I make a point of breathing with my lips up against the fabric so my breath blows out and not up into my glases. Oh, I’ve ridden in -20 wind chill with the balaclava and helmet cover and was comfortable.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #466514

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy