RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Looking for a team to join in 2013

(14 posts) (11 voices)
Started 2 years ago ago by Katie Ryder
Latest reply from Paul 1 year, 10 months ago ago

Katie Ryder
  • Hello! I’m a 28-year-old woman from Boulder, CO looking to join a team for 2013. I have never ridden RAGBRAI before but my entire extended family lives in Iowa and I’ve heard nothing but amazing things from them and people I know who’ve ridden it. I am a fairly experienced rider and I’ve ridden in several organized events in the Southwest.
    If I don’t find a team, I will be registering as an individual, but I would much rather have a group to ride with. Please let me know if you have any openings or if you want to learn more about me, I’m happy to answer any questions :)

Posted 2 years ago ago #277733

jwsknk
  • I know there were other Boulder people out here this year. You local bike shop might know who.

Posted 2 years ago ago #277736

Satman
  • A team is great, but don’t overlook the opportunity of the charter services. My first RAGBRAI was solo with Brancel. I quickly made friends ~ rode with some and partied with others, and the Brancel gang themselves were great. The charters seem to setup a ‘charter central’ ~ an area with canopy’s and chairs with current newspapers, refreshments and snacks. What more do you need?

Posted 2 years ago ago #277737

Michrider
  • Katie Ryder:
    Hello! I’m a 28-year-old woman from Boulder, CO looking to join a team for 2013. I have never ridden RAGBRAI before but my entire extended family lives in Iowa and I’ve heard nothing but amazing things from them and people I know who’ve ridden it. I am a fairly experienced rider and I’ve ridden in several organized events in the Southwest.
    If I don’t find a team, I will be registering as an individual, but I would much rather have a group to ride with. Please let me know if you have any openings or if you want to learn more about me, I’m happy to answer any questions :)

Katie, I’m sure that an attractive, young woman, like yourself, will have no problem finding a team! If that team doesn’t find you, come on over to PBV and I’ll ride with you! “It’s a sick world and I’m a happy man”!!!!!!

Posted 2 years ago ago #277745

Katie Ryder
  • Satman:
    A team is great, but don’t overlook the opportunity of the charter services.My first RAGBRAI was solo with Brancel.I quickly made friends ~ rode with some and partied with others, and the Brancel gang themselves were great.The charters seem to setup a ‘charter central’ ~ an area with canopy’s and chairs with current newspapers, refreshments and snacks.What more do you need?

Thanks for the tip! I just did some research on the charters, it looks like a great alternative!

Posted 2 years ago ago #277949

Ragbrai Nation
  • Well I’ve never known Michrider to be forward – ha! Mich means well, Katie. He may seem boisterous but he’s really a docile curb dweller, to be fair. ***snark*** But his recommendation for PBV (Pork Belly Ventures) is right on. They are a top notch charter out of Council Bluffs/Omaha who carefully re-evaluate Michrider’s membership each and every Ragbrai. :lol: Check out Pork Belly Ventures’ web: http://www.pkbelly.com and welcome, Katie!

Posted 2 years ago ago #278152

nappy77
  • Second on Brancel… Me and my buddy drove from the east coast this year for our first RAGBRAI and used Brancel’s charter. PBV has more options and some real nice facilities, but Brancel had what we were needed for at a very reasonable price (no bag limit, cold beverages and chairs, mid-week laundry, generators/charging stations, floor pumps, transportation from the end town to the start town, and good camping locations). Met some really cool people in our charter as well, and a good number were solo. I will use Brancel again next time I do RAGBRAI! Saw a wide variety of teams on the road–some that were focused more on riding, and a lot that were focused on partying. Nothing wrong with either, we struck a pretty good balance ourselves (I think). Depending on the type of rider you are, it can be difficult to ride with others too. Me and my buddy rode half the days together and rode our own paces the other days and would meet up at the end of the day.

Posted 2 years ago ago #278752

Katie Ryder
  • Ragbrai Nation:
    Well I’ve never known Michrider to be forward– ha! Mich means well, Katie. He may seem boisterous but he’s really a docile curb dweller, to be fair. ***snark*** But his recommendation for PBV (Pork Belly Ventures) is right on. They are a top notch charter out of Council Bluffs/Omaha who carefully re-evaluate Michrider’s membership each and every Ragbrai. :lol: Check out Pork Belly Ventures’ web: http://www.pkbelly.com and welcome, Katie!

Thank you! I looked into Pork Belly Ventures and Brancel, and they both look great. I like this charter idea, it sounds like it would be the best option for me if I can’t find a local team to ride with. Thank you all for the info, and keep the comments and suggestions coming!

Posted 2 years ago ago #278773

Michrider
  • Katie, good luck with your decision! Personally, I hope you pick PBV!!!! Either way let us know what you decide.

Posted 2 years ago ago #278901

Gypsy Rose
  • Katie,

At first glance the logistics of attending RAGBRAI, especially for someone traveling from out-of-state, can seem daunting. Not to worry, though. Options abound. This forum can be a good source of info (accompanied by copious doses of opinion and the occasional rant).

People do RAGBRAI many ways, whether it be a giant, private motor-home for “support,” or with all the necessities loaded on the bike ala “bagger.”

I used to do the ride using the provided (with registration) RAGBRAI baggage service but ultimately I connected with the merry band of folks from Team Roadshow, self-described as the “poorest team on RAGBRAI.”

Whichever way you end up going you’ll likely discover that RAGBRAI is extremely habit-forming and chances are good that you’ll keep coming back.

All the best,
    ~ Kevin

Posted 2 years ago ago #279760

coloradoshortbus
  • Katie,
    We are a Colorado-based team. We are full up at this time, but that may change by Raggedy 41. If nothing else, we can get you to the start and back home. Check with me next May-June, if you are still interested.

Posted 2 years ago ago #281052

DirtyTimmy
  • Hi Katie,
    We might have an opening on our team next year for you. We are a fun team of about 35. A lot cheaper than hiring a charter. Here is my email address. Contact me and we can see if your interested! oconnor_t@rocketmail.com

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #350140

Ellen
  • Katie,

I live in boulder as well and have done ragbrai for the past two years. I belive that the women of full cycle on pearl are trying to set up a team for next year if you want to look into something local. I go with a team based in iowa and I believe that they are full.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #350489

Paul
  • Katie Ryder: Thank you! I looked into Pork Belly Ventures and Brancel, and they both look great. I like this charter idea, it sounds like it would be the best option for me if I can’t find a local team to ride with. Thank you all for the info, and keep the comments and suggestions coming!

Go with PBV, you can’t go wrong. Great people, great food, great service….a five star charter!

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #353499

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy