Join Us in July - Register Today!

Michrider's Surgery

My Knee revision (a generic video is available on YouTube) is complete. The surgery was performed (4.19.16) by surgeons from Beacon Orthopedic, at Christ Hospital (Joint & Spine Center) in Cincinnati!!! Beacon & Christ Hospital provided me with great services!!!!! I stayed one night in Hospital & now I’m home. I’m finding my posts take twice as long to type, apparently pain meds affect decision making. Who’d have thunk!!! I won’t be in Iowa this July but I will be back!!!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!!

33 Replies

Amanda, April 22, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Good to hear!

SFC JKL 2, April 22, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Hoped you saved some pain meds for therapy. I know it’s good for you, but PT is no joke. I was hoping to get out of my boot, but me therapist pushed it off until I see the doctor Wednesday. 16 weeks has been long enough.

Michrider !!!, April 23, 2016 at 8:51 am

SFC JKL2: Hoped you saved some pain meds for therapy. I know it’s good for you, but PT is no joke. I was hoping to get out of my boot, but me therapist pushed it off until I see the doctor Wednesday. 16 weeks has been long

Thanks SFC and yes I will be planning meds to get me through PT. Yesterday, my therapist said no bicycle movement until my surgeon approves. FYI. RAGBRAI don’t care!!!!

Nico ZZZ, April 23, 2016 at 8:56 am

I broke my ankle one year ago this week. I am still going to PT three days a week and doing strength and conditioning, with achy pain still my occasional visitor. I reminded my PT team of the anniversary, and especially thanked them (again) for getting me “Ragbrai Ready”! They ALL know about Ragbrai – oh do they ever! We were always working toward the Gringo being bike healthy. (I talk about Ragbrai to everyone like a door-knocking Jehovah’s Witness.)
My utmost respect to physical therapists, they rebuilt my body, and especially my broken spirit. I would look down at that swollen, scarred, discolored mess of an ankle last year (I called it my “bolsa de *ierda” for my Spanish speaking friends here in Miami) and my atrophied right calf, and feel I would never walk normally again. They all gave me hope, humor, smiles, and just the right amount of “torture” each PT session, and after each session I would see advancement, and I would begin to believe that maybe I could see the cornfields of Iowa in 2016.
Hat (bike helmet) off to all PTs out there for your care and dedication to all of us broken down humans that come to you in our time of need.
Fight the good fight Michrider! I look forward to meeting you in 2017 and hoisting a cold beer at PBV camp!
Ride On!

Michrider !!!, April 24, 2016 at 12:44 pm

I just finished lunch, prepared & served by the Lovely Beverly!!! I’ve noticed that pain meds make staying awake, to eat, read and/or type, more difficult than normal!!!! BTW RAGBRAI don’t care bout no lunch!!!!

“Bicycle Bill”, April 24, 2016 at 3:42 pm

“…the Lovely Beverly”???  Am I detecting a little bit of erosion in your loyalty?  What is The Princess going to say when this is brought to her attention?

Careful, friend, you’re liable to find yourself banished from her domain — and you with only one good leg to stand on.

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, April 25, 2016 at 7:35 am

“Bicycle Bill”: “…the Lovely Beverly”??? Am I detecting a little bit of erosion in your loyalty? What is The Princess going to say when this is brought to her attention?
Careful, friend, you’re liable to find yourself banished from her domain — and you with only one good leg to stand on.

-“BB”-

Beebs, didn’t I defend you last week when our most recent and current Troll launched an attack on you? What gives now? Princess Amanda is my friend! Amanda is the true RAGBRAI Princess! She will always have my respect and admiration! However, Beverly has been my wife for 44 years! Most recently she has been my nurse & caretaker! I love and need Beverly!!! Beebs, I know you always have my back! Now, I’m starting to think it’s a target, LOL!!! In recent years, I’ve been trying to get Beverly to make the Iowa trip with me. I’d love for her to meet Princess Amanda and my other RAGBRAI friends! However, that won’t be happening anytime soon! BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

Michrider !!!, April 25, 2016 at 7:38 am

“Bicycle Bill”: “…the Lovely Beverly”??? Am I detecting a little bit of erosion in your loyalty? What is The Princess going to say when this is brought to her attention?

-“BB”-

Beebs, didn’t I defend you last week when our most recent and current Troll launched an attack on you? What gives now? Princess Amanda is my friend! Amanda is the true RAGBRAI Princess! She will always have my respect and admiration! However, Beverly has been my wife for 44 years! Most recently she has been my nurse & caretaker! I love and need Beverly!!! Beebs, I know you always have my back! Now, I’m starting to think it’s a target, LOL!!! In recent years, I’ve been trying to get Beverly to make the Iowa trip with me. I’d love for her to meet Princess Amanda and my other RAGBRAI friends! However, that won’t be happening anytime soon! BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

Amanda, April 25, 2016 at 8:11 am

Beebs and Mich – it’s ok that Mich calls Beverly lovely. She has put up with him for 40+ years so she has earned it!! LOL

And the Princess would make a terrible nurse and caregiver so Beverly has my respect.

But she can’t wear a tiara on RAGBRAI. That’s where I draw the line!

“Bicycle Bill”, April 25, 2016 at 8:20 am

In all the years we’ve been going back-and-forth with each other I don’t think that I ever saw or noted a reference to a wife, especially in those terms (…the Lovely Beverly”), so I had to have a little fun with it.

And besides, you old softy you, I just wanted to see you post something like this:

However, Beverly has been my wife for 44 years! Most recently she has been my nurse & caretaker! I love and need Beverly!!!

and you didn’t let me down.

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, April 25, 2016 at 8:58 am

“Bicycle Bill”: And besides, you old softy you, I just wanted to see you post something like this:
However, Beverly has been my wife for 44 years! Most recently she has been my nurse & caretaker! I love and need Beverly!!!
and you didn’t let me down.

-“BB”-

null

RoyBoy, April 25, 2016 at 9:06 am

Spouses that put up with, accept and even encourage participation in RAGBRAI and biking in general are saints in my eyes. So Beverly doesn’t need a tiara as she already has a halo. And Mich, RAGBRAI Nation does care. Get well soon.

Amanda, April 25, 2016 at 9:23 am

And a halo trumps a tiara every time!

My wonderful husband, Ted, is my greatest supporter. He looks forward to his week off when I am on RAGBRAI. Not sure what that means! LOL
He is the best – it will be 35 years in November.

T. Gap Woo, April 25, 2016 at 10:13 am

RoyBoy: Spouses that put up with, accept and even encourage participation in RAGBRAI and biking in general are saints in my eyes.

You said it!!!! Mrs. Woo has put up with me for 39 years and has been my support driver for the RAGBRAIs I’ve ridden. She’s the one who scouts out the motel rooms for each night, visits the Hy-Vee to prepare healthy munchies and meals, and meets me in the overnight towns. All of this despite sharing the 1300 mile drive to the starting town. She does all the hard work while I’m having fun riding across I-O-Way.

Spouses deserve all the recognition they can get. Any ideas for a patch/medal design and name? Your thoughts are welcome!

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Pdiddly, April 25, 2016 at 4:25 pm

I haven’t been checking up on the forum for quite a while. But sorry to see you will be sitting this ride out. I believe you will be the bionic man by the time I meet you on a curb (a high one) for a beer when I get back to RAGBRAI next summer. I hope the healing and PT goes smoothly and quickly. Really regretting not going on this summer’s ride. Love the southern route, although I have no idea why. Maybe I’ll sneak out there for a beer at HA’s new bus too.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters