RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Name the funniest thing that happened while riding

(18 posts) (16 voices)
Started 1 year, 3 months ago ago by Erik
Latest reply from petra 1 year, 2 months ago ago

Erik
  • We all have funny things happen while riding, such as a toy dog chasing you. So dare to say?

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #494688

deweyheidi
  • Riding out of Anamosa (2012) off the street where the prison is to the main road, we could here people screaming RAGBRAI!!!! As we approuched the corner ready to turn left, we saw a rider pulled over PUKING HIS FACE OFF (we assume from a hard night of partying) and as other riders were going by they were hootin and hollering and yelling RAGBRAI as the passed. His buddies were filming it and laughing hysterically. Pretty funny moment I thought. I must’ve heard RAGBRAI 100 times in 45 seconds.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #494691

Michrider
  • RAGBRAI 2007, I’m riding through some Iowa town, a rider comes along-side, looks at me and asks, “are you Lance”????? I must admit that I WAS wearing my Livestrong jersey that day!!! I looked at him and said, “No, I’m the taller, older, fatter version of Lance”!!!!!!! He said, “I was just checking”!!!!! Gosh, I love RAGBRAI!!!!!

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #494692

dpackboy
  • A couple o years back, there was a your man from Texas riding with our group. This young man was from Cambodia i believe.

Any how as RAGBRAI does from time to time, the route had been winding its way through some corn fields. well after about three days of this I caught up with this gentleman and noticed he had a rather confused almost scared look on his face. I ask if he was OK and his response was “What do they do with all this corn?”

I was not ready for that question as i thought that there was a serious issue by the look on his face. I ask him to repeat himself. He talked for quite a bit about all the corn and what they planned to do with it.

After he calmed down i told him that most of the corn we were riding through was field corn and would be fed to cows or livestock. His response “There are that many cows?”

needless to say the discussion continued for several more minutes and after i explained some stuff to him, he seamed to be more at ease and rode off still looking at the corn.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #494800

lgriffin
  • Besides the time the bull jumped the fence and started chasing me (actually I didn’t think it was funny but my friends did), there was the time I was riding ahead of our group by about 100 yards or so. Soon I hear a small goat who was probably only a few months old chasing me and being chased by the small puppy from the same yard.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #494826

SFC JKL2
  • There was a stop sign coming into a town with a large group stopped. A girl didn’t unclip and fell over. Then about 20 people with this group stopped at the light fell over in slow motion(making fun of her) Oh the humanity

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #494831

dalebob
  • Riding into one of the smaller towns last year, a guy was watching all the bikes go by while sitting on his Harley. I waved and then twisted my right grip and made like I was revving the throttle (riding a chopper-like long wheelbase recumbent). This guy threw back his head and laughed, then pulled out onto the street and rode along side laughing and waving the whole way through town. Everybody in that town must have known that guy because they all waved at him and many called out to him by name. He pulled off before we got to the main drag, and as he roared off he was still laughing.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #494916

Cyfan
  • I love to hear the comments on College Spirit day. Our team of 3 each wear our school jersey. Iowa State, Iowa, and UNI. We hear many funny comments and asked questions like is it legal for us to ride together.

We all love the State schools here in Iowa and support and root for all but each of us do have our favorite.

Go Cyclones!!!

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #495014

jwsknk
  • more of a DOH! moment than funny but riding out of a pass through town and this guys complaing about his bike and how it feels “funny”. Then he asks if we will wait for him, he’ll be right back. Couple minutes later gets back everyones asking if hes alright now. Got it fixed, etc… and he saya, Yeah, got the right bike this time.
    Same brand, model, color and parked so close to each other, don’t think the other person ever knew.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #495016

Cyfan
  • Those DOH moments are not funny at all. In 2007 on Day 5 riding from Cedar Falls to Independence my buddy and I stopped at Mr. Pork Chop for our daily dose of pork. When we were ready to leave I went back to my bike and it was gone. After scouring the ditches for 30 minutes my buddy went behind the farmhouse that was hosting Mr. Pork Chop that day and found my bike in the shade. A group of riders had moved my bike thinking it belonged to a friend of theirs. I was steaming mad but this is RAGBRAI and I had my bike back so I held my temper took my bike and headed back on the road relieved that I at least had my bike back.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #495021

iceman
  • The morning line at the kybo was long and a fellow was clearly “hurting” to get his turn in one of the kybos. I was still standing in line as he emerged from the kybo and announced, “it’s a boy!”

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #495038

Sandaltan
  • I bet the crowd roared its approval Iceman!!! However; I bet that no one asked for the usual cigar that is handed out by new fathers.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #495083

SFC JKL2
  • When you’re in line for the kybo and a cute little girl walks out, grab the door and yell “Whew. What the hell did you do in there?”

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #495084

Chris
  • Preface: we’re a tandem team. Typical husband-in-front-wife-in-back setup.

We’ve heard the “She’s not pedaling” about 50 times each day (no joke). We give a polite wave and a little chuckle. On the way to Cedar Rapids, however, a group a racers came stomping along next to us. The lead of the group pulls up next to my wife, and almost whispers “Spank the Captain”.

Two seconds later, we have 10 people all yelling “SPANK THE CAPTAIN! SPANK THE CAPTAIN!”. My beautiful, mischievous wife had no choice in the matter.

The RAGBRAI roads weren’t the only reason my a@@ hurt that night.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #496327

BigBird
  • A number of years ago there was a group of 6 high school buddies who had just graduated from high school and went on RAGBRAI as their swan song before going separate ways to college, military, etc. They had rented a van to travel with on the route, planning to take turns driving a day. When they arrived at the start town they were blown away by the sheer numbers of bikers and support vehicles wondering how they’d ever find their rented van each day. We camped next to them that night and they decided to have their van camp next to us (Team Flamingo) as we’d be easier to spot. Good plan, or so they thought . . .

Sunday afternoon we’re lounging around our campsite with pink flamingos mounted on top of the support vans for easy spotting. The first two boys come rolling in looking for their van, which wasn’t there yet. “Not a problem” we said, “come on over to the shade and get a pop from the cooler, your van will probably be here soon.” Next boy rides in, same conversation. Then the next, then the next. Still no van. Now people are starting to get worried. Did he have an accident? Did the van break down? etc. Just when we were about to mount a search, the 6th boy comes riding into camp on his bike. “Where’s the van, the other 5 ask him?” “I don’t know” he replied, “I thought you were driving the van the first day!”

Moral of the story: Establish your driving list and make sure everyone, especially the day’s driver, knows who is driving the support vehicle before starting the day’s ride.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #496417

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy