Forums

Forums Categories

Members

New to this any help or suggestions

(7 posts) (7 voices)
Started 1 year, 9 months ago ago by scott
Latest reply from OhioCyclone 1 year, 7 months ago ago

scott
  • I am new to biking, started this summer and I am looking for some ideas for training in teh aOmaha area. Couple of questoins also.

Are there any other bikers on here who have disabilites, mine is spina bifida. I was wondering if there is way I can make this into a fund raiser type of ride for research, also I have had a kideny transplant so there is another area I belong too. I dont know if I can do something like this on the ride but was just putting that idea out there. I am a lone rider and wont be knowing anyone on the ride and just want to meet some people to get started working out this winter until i can go outside again. Sorry to ramble, many questions and I am excited to maybe do this.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #426129

Ed Kanitra
  • Scott,
    While I am not able to answer your exact questions I do have a few thoughts in a more general arena to share with you.

I had a heart attack last Nov. and a stent implanted in June. Before you begin an exercise program, make sure you talk to your doctor about it. I am sure he will tell you to start slow, and listen to your body. I will be riding for The American Heart Association on my ride. Contact the associations that you want to raise funds for and see what help they can provide to you. The AHA has a tool to create a website to make donating easy, and so I don’t have to handle the money.

I too will be a virgin rider, and riding on my own. Let’s try to hook up and ride a little together.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #426956

Michrider
  • Scott, your local bike shop and/or bike club, can be good resources to find riders of similiar abilities in your area.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #426992

Sandaltan
  • Go to Facebook and take a look at the page for the Thursday Taco Ride. The page will give you the meeting places and times for the weekly ride on the Wabash Nature Trace out of Council Bluffs. This is a good place to meet people who are intent on having a good time while riding their bicycles.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #427304

Denise Fuller
  • I can’t remember the group but there is a group/team the specializes in riders with disablities, they do the buddy thing. saw a lady with one leg the other was gone at the hip, she had another lady that road on the side with the missing leg and when she went up a hill that she needed help the lady helped. Then there is the blind riders or deaf riders. Theres riders that have spina bifida that have the bikes that peddal with there hands and they have buddys to.

Even though they have buddy’s I can honestly say I have not seen the buddies help while riding but its reasuring that if you need help they are there. I wish I had a buddy to talk me through the times I want to give up.

They were baby blue jerseys last year and they have a booth at the expo.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #474606

Ragbrai Nation
  • Check out Adaptive Sports-Iowa on facebook, Scott.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/adaptivesportsiowa?fref=ts

This will be the 3rd year they have ridden Ragbrai as a group and I believe this is the group Denise is referring to. In addition check your local library or video store for the DVD, “A Million Spokes.” It is a documentary about Ragbrai and there are handicapped ppl featured. If you can’t find a DVD rental check the Ragbrai SHOP.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #474608

OhioCyclone
  • Check out the bike forums website. It is also a forum. they have a section specifically made for adaptive riding/alternative riding. they also have regional threads to find people in your area.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #475137

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy