Join Us in July - Register Today!

Newbie saying hi!

Hi guys,

I’m a newbie to the RAGBRAI. 2016 is my first year. I’m from San Jose, CA. I plan to sign up for the Brancel’s week long full service. I plan to ride all by myself, not as a group. A few questions.

1. How do I get my bike shipped to the starting town Glenwood and shipped back to San Jose? There’re a few online bike shipping companies. Any recommendations?

2. What’s the nearest town to fly into? Glenwood? I plan to check out the Expo. If I fly in one night before Day 1, where can I stay overnight? I assume I need to find a hotel. I heard the hotels near Glenwood get booked up pretty quickly.

3. If I ship my bike, I need to have it shipped to the town I’m staying the night before, OR ship to the starting town Glenwood? I suppose I need to arrive before my bike arrives so I can sign for it and have it assemble back together(assume I need to box it to ship).

I haven’t quite figure out the order of things yet.

Please help! Thank you.

Shaun

17 Replies

jwsknk, May 25, 2016 at 11:04 am

Omaha is the closest to fly into for the start. The shipper RAGBRAI uses delivers them to the expo area, you could choose to have them assemble or not. Then the ship from near the ending dip site. If round trip ticket for flight there are some charters with bus service across Iowa at the end. or consider flying into and out of Des Moines and bussing with Bike World (or someone) to start and back at end.

Nico ZZZ, May 25, 2016 at 11:04 am

Shaun,
Welcome aboard!
You can fly into Omaha, Nebraska. You can get a bus ride there through some of the charters. I use Pork Belly Ventures for everything: Bus rides, shipping, tent set-up, weeklong support. But they do offer ala carte services so I think you can catch rides with them both from Omaha to Glenwood and a ride back from the end town on the “east coast” of Iowa back to Omaha. Check out PBV website for bus rides and bike shipping.
I would also contact the bike shops in Omaha, as you may be able to ship to their shop and pay them to put it together for you. There are also bike shops in Omaha that rent bikes – you bring your saddle and pedals. My teammate is renting a Trek I think, which he had fitted for down here in Miami. The rental is about $120 for the week. A decent option depending upon how much you love your bike!
I rode my first Ragbrai in 2014 and we went with PBV to alleviate all the logistical things for us. Of course it costs more the more services you want, but for us it made sense. We are going with them again this year, as we want to ride and not bother with the tent details, etc.
No matter how you do it, you will enjoy the heck out of it. I wish I had done my first Ragbrai years ago!
Ride On!

jwsknk, May 25, 2016 at 11:11 am

also people will be camping in Glenwood Friday night too, but Saturday is when the masses show up.

RDaryl Daryl, May 25, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Shaun-
If you are planning to take Brancel Charter, I suggest contacting Bob Brancel with your logistics concerns. Bob goes above and beyond in providing excellent service and will help you with needed logistics.

BillSpriggs, May 25, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Shaun, This is my third RAGBRAI, I’ve done PBV every year. I use their shipping service, about $325 out and back from Merced. The price includes the bike and one box. Their website is sendmybike.com You pick up you bike at Glenwood, they transport you shipping container to Muscatine, you pack it up and ship it back to San Jose. PBV also has charter service from Omaha to Glenwood and east/west service from Muscatine back to Omaha.

jeffreydennis, May 27, 2016 at 6:57 pm

I don’t know the answer to any of your questions….but, hi back atcha. welcome to the party

drmarcia, May 30, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Hi kublaiboy,
You can camp with Brancel on Saturday night. That way you will be right there with everyone for the start on Sunday!
This is our third year. We have gotten maximal enjoyment out of the ride the last two years. I’m from Iowa, so I know how friendly everyone is. You’ll see!
See you there.

kublaiboy, June 15, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you for all your advice!

I’ve booked a full charter service with PBV. Now I have started to think about all the gear and stuff I need to pack in my suitcase. Aside from my bike, helmet, bike shoes and cycling related gears, are there any other things I need to remember to bring? Is there a check list on RAGBRAI site I can use?

Thanks.

Shaun

Ken, June 16, 2016 at 5:51 am

On this website, go to main menu, choose “THE RIDE” and then “GENERAL INFORMATION”

In that section you will see a list of “what to pack”.

Generally, first timers (including myself a few years ago) will pack way too much. Iowa is not a third world nation, lots of places to purchase forgotten items.

Ken

Michrider !!!, June 16, 2016 at 5:58 am

: I’ve booked a full charter service with PBV. Now I have started to think about all the gear and stuff I need to pack in my suitcase.

This link on PBV’s site will take you to a list of gear. It’s a bit extensive but you’ll get the idea!!!
https://pkbelly.com/content/detail/suggested_packing_list

kublaiboy, June 16, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Guys,

Where do I get my wrist band? I still haven’t received my RAGBRAI 2016 welcome pack.

Thanks.

Shaun

Jack in VA, June 16, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Packages (wristband, bike band, jersey – if ordered – are usually sent sometime in June.

Jack in VA, June 16, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Packages (wristband, bike band, jersey – if ordered) – are usually sent sometime in June.

Sandaltan ., June 16, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Packets are still being shipped, 500 per day.

RIDE RIGHT

William Mugan, June 17, 2016 at 7:54 am

When you receive your rider packet, you will find a Participant Guide that includes lots of useful information including maps and packing lists etc.

I received mine yesterday :-)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters