The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

NoVA area riders?

this will be my second ragbrai. after last year I realized I needed to kick the training up a notch. anyone in NoVA want to do some rides and maybe check in with each other on the great ride to make sure we’re still alive?

10 Replies

Profile photo of Wayne
patrsnw, February 6, 2013 at 11:45 am

Where in Northern Virginia? We’re in Alexandria.

And how notch-kicking do you want to go?

This will be RAGBRAI #16 for me and #13 for my wife.

Profile photo of lisa o
lisa o, March 11, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Yikes – 16 and 13?! I work in Alexandria and it’s kept me so busy I haven’t even looked at my bike in weeks. I AM RIDING TOMORROW!! Spokes in Vienna just started a meetup for some road rides. they have one coming up this Saturday.

Profile photo of lisa o
lisa o, March 11, 2013 at 8:36 pm

And – do you use a charter? I’m going with shuttleguy again. Almost did PBV this year – maybe next year.

Profile photo of Michael
Michael, March 12, 2013 at 8:50 am

I just moved to the Merrifield area of Fairfax. This will be #4 for me but my first full week. Looking for some people to ride with to help get the mileage in.

Profile photo of Wayne
patrsnw, March 12, 2013 at 9:08 am

Hi Michael. As Lisa pointed out, Bikes of Vienna does group rides, as do Potomac Pedalers (www.potomacpedalers.org). If you need/want the group as impetus for the miles, both will work.

On the other hand, you’re not far from W&OD so you can just pop up there and get as many miles in as time allows. I used to live right up the road from you (literally) and would ride out for an hour and then gauge my condition by the increasing distances. Note, though, that it almost always takes longer to get home than to get out – if you’re riding west.

Profile photo of lisa o
lisa o, March 12, 2013 at 9:35 am

Check out this video that was posted on FB. This happened on W&OD recently >>>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o5_TS8i9N1Q

Profile photo of Michael
Michael, March 12, 2013 at 10:29 am

That doesn’t surprise me at all. I run the W&OD all the time. Let me know if anyone is planning a ride sometime.

Profile photo of Ben
Ben.A, April 30, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Hi Lisa. I live in the area. I have signed up for full week Ragbrai. I started to ride in area and kick my bike. I rode in W&OD couple time this months. I plan to ride more. If you are interested, we can ride sometime together. Have you done any tours in this area?

Profile photo of lisa o
lisa o, May 17, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I was going to do some w&od Sat AM, but pollen is killing me. I’ll be in the gym tomorrow. I haven’t been able to ride as much as I wanted to – will be doing 2-a-days for a while to get ready. I’ve signed up for the Civil War ride and probably the Seagull ride in Oct.

Profile photo of Ben
Ben.A, May 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Hi Lisa,

I left you a private message. Please send me a message with ur contact #. We can exchange more info too. When I plan to get out to let u know. I did Sea gull century last year and was a lot fun and plan to do it again.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLI – 2013’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013

Training

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Gatherings & Meetings

RAGBRAI XL – 2012