RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Now This is Just Plain Nuts

(7 posts) (6 voices)
Started 1 year, 9 months ago ago by “Bicycle Bill”
Latest reply from jwsknk 1 year, 9 months ago ago

“Bicycle Bill”
  • I’ve been cycling seriously since 1972, when I bought my first 10-speed — a Crystal, a Japanese import that was favorably reviewed by Eugene Sloane (author of the early-’70s bike-boom Bible, “The Complete Bike Book”) who was then writing a month cycling column for “Popular Mechanics”, among other things.  Since then I’ve seen a steady quest to reduce the weight of the bicycle itself, which resulted in the use of new and lighter materials (aluminum, titanium, beryllium, carbon fiber, and plastic composites) — as well as a short-lived trend known as “drilling”, where one would take perfectly good components and proceed to perforate them in the interest of saving a couple of dozen grams of dead weight.  The problem was that many people who were wizards with a drill press never knew just when to stop before crossing that fine line at which one was no longer removing superfluous material but was in fact destroying the functional integrity of the component.

Which leads me to this:
    Meet the Delta 7 “Arantix”, a hardtail MTB frameset weighing in at only 2.74 pounds (not sure if that includes the pogo-stick fork).  But look at the makeup of the main frame tubes!!!  They actually look like someone has tried to macramé a bicycle!!!  According to their website, only 200 of these will be sold worldwide; no estimate as to how many will actually be ridden, and of those, how many will survive a couple of trips through some technical singletrack.

No report as yet as to price, but you know these aren’t going to come cheap.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #389301

ts
  • BB – that weight does not include the weight of the fork, which is 3+ lbs all by itself. Also, 2.75 lbs isn’t all that special for a hardtail frame these days. Santa Cruz, Focus, and Niner all have 2.5 lb hardtail frames for less than half the price of the Arantix. Color me “I don’t get it”.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #390960

Jack in VA
  • TEN FREAKIN’ THOUSAND DOLLARS?????????

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #393312

mootsman
  • $10k for a bike, low compared to the 2013 Colnago C59 w/Campy SR electric and disk brakes. That MSRP is $16k.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #393436

Michrider
  • Riding 7 days, sleeping in a tent for 7 days, when it’s over 100 degrees each day, now that is NUTS!!!!!

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #394246

jwsknk
  • Riding 7 days, sleeping in a tent for 7 days, when it’s over 100 degrees each day, now that is NUTS!!!!!

——————————————————————————–
    Yes that would be, good thing it was only over 100 for 5 or 6 if you count day 0 too. :-)

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #394358

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy