Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Pass through towns

(16 posts) (9 voices)
Started 1 year, 5 months ago ago by mikesglobebike
Latest reply from Lawrence 1 year, 5 months ago ago

mikesglobebike
  • Hi Ragbrai riders
    I just heard on WHO TV 13 that the town of Van meter will be a past through town between Perry to Des Moines. It was leaked out tonight on the 10 o’clock news report on veterans cemetery meeeting building being built.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #474966

Bill from Panora
  • local paper said Goofy Center is midpoint, north toSpringbrook, east to Yale.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475128

pj
  • I hope it goes south after Perry, I was thinking they would go east and just head over to johnston area.

also bill from panora the towns you are thinking of would probably be the day coming into perry not the day we leave perry and head to des moines

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475130

Lawrence
  • the 49.9 mile Perry to Des Moines would work going through Van Meter.
    I agree that south out of Perry is preferred…. That will keep (most) people from detour across the High Tressel Bridge.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475131

jwsknk
  • so they take the RRVT trail all the way into DM instead. Bet there will be at least 3 routs that day, 1 “official” and 2 off-route routes no matter what they do..

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475136

Lawrence
  • Do Ragbrai officials do anything to try to keep riders off of the trails?

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475217

David
  • @Lawrence they do try to keep riders off trails because there are far too many people for the narrow trails.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475223

jake d
  • I think Van Meter is wishful thinking on there part. From there the only option is the Booneville Rd. that runs into Grand Ave. If they do want to camp near downtown that’s a long ride across the west side, no matter which way you go, with lots of traffic control. They could utilize the trail system and come into Water Works Park, but I don’t see that happening.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475259

Ragbrai Nation
  • It’s not unusual for the final routing through metros be determined until just days before the ride. Case-in-point was Waterloo and Davenport during XXXVIII and XXXIX

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475286

jwsknk
  • and it’s still 2 1/2 months until the Register makes the announcement. Plenty of time for them to skip the leakers. If those folks were right as of now. like town who were sure they were going to be overnight stops.

and remember Marne about 2 weeks before the ride? everyone has a theory about why they got cur at the last minute. Officially I think “they” said the road surface wasn’t safe. unofficially afraid of the hugh party too close to the overnight ot the volunteer fire department there contracted with the “wrong” beer distributor.

and to keep riders off trails they have done things like post skull & crossbone signs on trails, and the official route arrows pointing people away on down the road, signs about no support or services…but that’s really no different than any other day on the trail.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475374

Lawrence
  • I thought the full route will be in the dm register on march 10th

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475386

jwsknk
  • i was thinking May 1 was the next big day… maybe thats the web site and mobile app day.

Finally did find it buried way at the end of 2013 route maps, Complete route & pass through towns released in mid march.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475420

Lawrence
  • March 10 = complete route
    May 1 = Lottery results

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475526

John Arnold
  • Either way, I think it’s a good idea to avoid the mile long bridge at Sailorville. Some find it a little unnerving to drive across, let alone drunk-bike across.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475590

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy