RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Pork Belly Ventures (PBV) is my favorite charter!

(19 posts) (9 voices)
Started 10 months, 1 week ago ago by Michrider
Latest reply from WoWser_the_Biker 9 months, 2 weeks ago ago

Michrider
  • Every year about this time, people start searching for a team to join. Do you want to join a team? Or, are you looking for a charter? There are many good charters on RAGBRAI but I think Pork Belly Ventures (PBV) is the best!!! I’ve traveled with them for years! They offer a lot of extras that you may not be able to get anywhere else. RAGBRAI will announce the Route for 2013 on January 26, 2013. Soon, after the route is announced, PBV will send out their invitation letter. To be added to the list for that invitation, contact Pete: petephillips@cox.net or Tammy: tammypav@cox.net . You can check out PBV at http://www.pkbelly.com/about_us.php. I’ll meet you under PBV’s big circus tent!!!!

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #655075

gregonline
  • Looks to me like I will be riding with the Porkers this year.
    I missed last year as no one would drive my RV so this year I will fly in and join the Pork Belly.
    I hope to share a curb with you, Mich.

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #655079

Michrider
  • Gregonline, I’m sure you’ll be happy with PBV!!!! Me and Lefty will be parked under the big circus tent!!!!

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #655119

fatbyker
  • This will be my first year for both my father and I. I was just wondering why you recommend PBV over some of the other charter services? Not being confrontational, just curious what makes them stand out above the others. Thanks.

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #655309

Clayhill
  • Fatbyker – I can answer that. PBV will take care of every detail. Yes, you will pay for each detail (i.e., do you want to use PBV tents, do you think you might have to SAG a day or two, are you unsure about eating all meals in the overnight towns, do you want your bike not only shipped but shipped to your first overnight town, etc.).

You just cannot get all that from any other outfitter. Now, after the first year when you have RAGBRAI logistics figured out, you might want to use a different outfitter or the DMR truck, whatever. I prefer PBV. I like the ride no matter what route (yeah, TJ, I’d still like to go east to west) but I have to admit all the towns start to look alike after a while so staying in camp with PBV and all its services is my preference.

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #655315

Sandaltan
  • As a porker with PBV you have many choices. One of those choices is even air conditioned sleeping accommodations in the Hog Palace or High On The Hog.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #655338

Michrider
  • ST, I’m damn proud of you brother!!!!!

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #655339

Clayhill
  • Hog Palace? Good luck. A waiting list a mile long and – as of a few years ago – $2500+ per week.

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #655340

Sandaltan
  • Iceman, much like seats at the Indy 500 or Lambeau Field….they can’t live forever!!! Ya just gotta wait ‘em out.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #655476

fatbyker
  • Thanks for the info. So if it will just be the two of us, should we make our own group, or does PBV have a group to join to raise our chances of being selected in the lottery? Or is that even a concern these days?

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #655506

Michrider
  • ftbyker, I don’t think making it through the the lottery is much of a concern. Make sure you register before the deadline (4/1/14), and do it correctly. You’ll have no problem! BTW, registration opens tomorrow!!!!

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #656188

mootsman
  • I checked with PBV last year and you register on your own, no group to join. I’m not sure if all charters work the same way or not but I suspect only teams register as groups.

Plus if by chance you don’t make it in for a weekly wrist band, then register after the deadline for daily wrist bands. You just need to register twice (under 2 different used names) to get bands for each day as the limit on daily bands is 6 per registration.

A group of 2 sounds like an option also.

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #656234

Clayhill
  • If you are going to RAGBRAI with several people, you should register as a team since if any one person on the team gets in, all the team gets in.

PBV takes individual registrations but for the shuttle bus scheduling (i.e., Omaha airport to start town, or end town to start town, or end town back to Omaha after the ride), they encourage you to list all members of your team (if you have one) and want to ride together. Same for tent service – tell them who you want to tent next to/nearby, whether teammate or just friends.

I’ve never known anyone who did not get in the lottery but apparently it’s pretty simple to buy a registration on this forum from someone having to cancel. PBV always will help you find a registration if that is needed.

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #656246

tjdale
  • FATBYKER,
    Tried to PM you but not going through. PM me, I may have another option for you.
    TD

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #656412

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy