Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Question about charters

(14 posts) (13 voices)
Started 1 year, 12 months ago ago by Ed Kanitra
Latest reply from John L 1 year, 10 months ago ago

Ed Kanitra
  • Alright, maybe I am just stupid, or over cautious, or whatever. But can someone please explain what this means?

“Motor coach service to the RAGBRAI start town from the ending town.”

Does this mean I would meet the charter in the ending city BEFORE the RAGBRAI begins, and then are chartered to the start point? Or does it mean AFTER the ride the charter would return to the start city?

I am so excited about finally getting to ride in RAGBRAI, and am trying so hard to make sure I can do this. Even if it means saving all my sick and personal days up at work until then. They are usually gone by June! LOL

Posted 1 year, 12 months ago ago #352825

jwsknk
  • well, I think a lot of charters offer it both ways, so you can leave a car in the end town and take off for home from there if you are heading east. Or, if your coming in from the west, leave your car in the start town and take a bus back across the state after reaching the Mississippi. Others you meet them in the town they are out of, DM, Ames, Grinnell, or wherever and return there after the end.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 12 months ago by Avatar of jwsknk jwsknk.

Posted 1 year, 12 months ago ago #353185

Michrider
  • Ed Kanitra:
    Alright, maybe I am just stupid, or over cautious, or whatever. But can someone please explain what this means?

“Motor coach service to the RAGBRAI start town from the ending town.”

Does this mean I would meet the charter in the ending city BEFORE the RAGBRAI begins, and then are chartered to the start point? Or does it mean AFTER the ride the charter would return to the start city?

I am so excited about finally getting to ride in RAGBRAI, and am trying so hard to make sure I can do this. Even if it means saving all my sick and personal days up at work until then. They are usually gone by June! LOL

Ed, check out my favorite charter, Pork Belly Ventures (PBV)!!! They offer transportation, on a very comfortable bus, either before the ride (end town to start town) or after the ride (end town to start town). PBV offers excellent service and follows through with those promises. Check them out! http://pkbelly.com/

Posted 1 year, 12 months ago ago #353479

Tony
  • ED I sent you a PM.

Posted 1 year, 12 months ago ago #353489

Paul
  • Michrider: Ed, check out my favorite charter, Pork Belly Ventures (PBV)!!!They offer transportation, on a very comfortable bus, either before the ride (end town to start town) or after the ride (end town to start town).PBV offers excellent service and follows through with those promises.Check them out! http://pkbelly.com/

I second that, I was with PVB this year and their service is off the charts “exceptional”!

Posted 1 year, 12 months ago ago #353492

VIKING
  • Ed. Are you flying or driving.

Posted 1 year, 12 months ago ago #360928

mary frances ponder
  • Finally signed up. Could someone recommend a charter service.First ragbrai,coming in alone from Ga.
    I hope I have not gotten over zealous about this.
    thxs.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #424541

Jack in VA
  • Ed, You have several options. First off, read the info provided on this site and it may help clarify things. I’ve driven out to Iowa several times, and flown in even more. Flying presented the most challenges; I’ve flown in / out of Des Moines and Omaha, with Omaha costing at least $100.00 cheaper than DM.
    This affects the logistics of my weeklong charter (of which there are numerous choices, by the way!) I’ve ridden with a club from the Des Moines area for 12 years, and they provide the motor coach transportation FROM Des Moines TO the starting town, and BACK to Des Moines at the end of the ride. This works out perfectly if I fly into Des Moines!

However, If I fly into Omaha, I have to find another means of transportation FROM Omaha to the starting town, and back to Omaha a week later after the ride ends. Again, there are several choices available. My biggest problem with this arrangement is getting myself (and luggage) to my weeklong charter group in the starting town, and at the end of the week, getting said self (and bags) back to the transportation charter for the ride back to Omaha. Sometimes the two are several (or more) miles apart. Thank God for kind strangers in pick-ups (NO I’VE NEVER GOTTEN INTO A VEHICLE AND HEARD BANJO’S!)

If you’re driving in, you need to determine where you want to leave your car for the week – guess it depends on whether you’re driving east or west to go back home afterwards.I have to come in from Virginia, so I park at the ending town, and caught a shuttle to the starting town. At the end of the ride, I just cycle over to the car, drive back to my charter group area, load up the luggage, give hugs and kisses, and start the LONG DRIVE BACK HOME! (It sucks, by the way, to be suddenly all alone in your car after a week of constant energy and companionship, but THAT’S ANOTHER POST somewhere else!)

You will get a lot of good information and ideas from this forum. You can also PM me if you’d like.
    See you in Iowa soon.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #424653

CyclingRoberto
  • I’ve used Brancel Charters six times. They are awesome. Great family run group. Nice mix of all ages. Charters generally offer bus service from the end town to the start town.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #425328

Clayhill
  • I think what Michrider meant was that Pork Belly usually offers two bus services PRIOR to the ride — one from the Omaha airport to the starting town and one from the ending town to the starting town (i.e., for folks parking for the week in the ending town, etc).

Then, after the ride, PBV generally offers busses from the ending town back to a hotel at the Omaha airport (and I think last year they dropped off some folks in Des Moines on the way back to the Omaha airport). I may be wrong but I don’t think PBV offers bus service at the end of the ride back to the start town. If they do, I’m sure someone will point it out.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #425479

Greg I-Fly-Sky
  • My answer is A. That usually means you meet the charter at the end town before the ride starts and they have a bus/motorcoach that takes you, your bike and other stuff to the start town. That way at the end of the ride, you get your stuff, your transportation and you go home. That takes the pressure off of the charter service of getting you to a flight ontime. That places the responsibility of completing the ride in a timely fashion and getting yourself and your stuff to an airport (if necessary) in your hands. Plus with so many people on charters, it’s hard to get everyone to different airports at different times. So it’s in their best interest to place that responsibility in the riders’ hands.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #425490

RonB
  • For some reason I can’t quote mary frances ponder, so I’ll just comment….
    This (or a similar) topic is one that I’m sure will last for many months to come. First of all, I recommend that you go to the homepage and go to the charters section to review there. Lots of questions answered.

As far as recommendations, you’ll get several, including one’s from an unpaid Lobbiest ;-) for Pork Belly Ventures. In fairness, he does usually state that there are several other good ones as well. All I’ll say on this is that in my opinion, there are basically two kinds of charters:

Full Service: This represents the majority of charters available and provides baggage hauling for the week, selected camp sites, tents/beverages after the ride, and sometimes a few other smaller creature comforts. Price is usually very close to the same for all these.

Full service + more: These would be the PBV kinds of charters that not only provide the services above, but provide several meals with drinks (some include, some you pay), coffee in the am, entertainment for several evenings, options for sleeping indoors sometimes (you pay extra), tent rental and set-up, laundry service, showers, and probabaly more. Price, as you might expect is quite a bit more than what I describe above as “full service”.

In addition, any bus service from finish to start, start to finish, or other destination is extra for any charter.

So, decide what services you want, and go from there.
    Good Luck.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #425675

Michrider
  • RonB,
    “As far as recommendations, you’ll get several, including one’s from an unpaid Lobbiest for Pork Belly Ventures. In fairness, he does usually state that there are several other good ones as well.” “Unpaid Lobbyist”, I like that, LOL!!!!!
    Yes, there are many good chaters on RAGBRAI! I simply tell people (meaning everyone) that PBV is my favorite!!! PBV provides the services I want!!! You said it well, thanks!!!!

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #425732

John L
  • Ed and MF,
    We drive up from Louisiana. If you drive you HAVE to go to the end town and charter to the start town. that day on the charter is very exciting cuz your training is done, you stair at all that corn, you dream of being on the bike THE NEXT DAY!!! Then it is so great after completing all of Ragbrai to just stop and relax in the end town. Last year I finished and waited for my wife. I gave several people lift to their charter, showered (with PBV!!!), shared a beer or two with riders as they finished, then cheered Kathy (said spouse) as she completed the ride. It was so great NOT to have to pack up and leave. We had a hotel room, chilled ate a great meal, and headed home the next day. So many, SO many people are frantically trying to get out of the end town. It was pleasant to help and and just relax.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #428493

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy