Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Question about over night towns

(17 posts) (15 voices)
Started 1 year, 8 months ago ago by Ed Kanitra
Latest reply from Denise Fuller 1 year, 8 months ago ago

Ed Kanitra
  • I was hoping that some of the more seasoned riders could tell me where the camping areas in these towns were in the past. I looked at some of the towns on Google Earth, and I don’t see too many areas which look like they can hold several thousand campers.

Thanks! Again!

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #470870

gas gas
  • schools , soccer fields, baseball diamonds . Anywhere there is open space and grass .

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #470884

Sandaltan
  • Be patient Ed. The planning starts today.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #470966

jake d
  • TJ hinted the campgrounds in Des Moines would be near downtown. In ’92′, they let us camp on the grounds of the State Capital. Just be sure to lock up your bike.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #470989

IndianHillsTed
  • I would be concerned about camping in downtown Des Moines too. Do you think they might have security monitoring people coming and going? I like the idea of camping there but the security has me concerned.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #470990

Michrider
  • I.H. Ted, yes, I think there will be security!

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #470994

“Bicycle Bill”
  • The year at the State Capital was RAGBRAI XX (1992), if memory serves correctly.  Another time — RAGBRAI XXV (1997)? — Des Moines put us out by Blank Park (the zoo).

Can’t remember where they had us on RAGBRAI XVI (1988)…..I was not at my best that year…..

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #470997

coloradoshortbus
  • Always try to camp near a bar so that you don’t have far to go for your first beer.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #471003

knees36
  • “Bicycle Bill”: Can’t remember where they had us on RAGBRAI XVI (1988)…..I was not at my best that year…..

We were at the state capitol grounds that year (1988) as well and there was all kinds of music and other entertainment in the downtown area (west side of the DM River)…one of the best overnights that I ever experienced up to that time. There was a wedding somewhere near the entertainment area and the newlyweds and wedding party were still dressed in tuxes, gowns, etc for the evening’s doin’s. All in all, a very colorful and fun-filled evening.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #471005

IA_paddler
  • “BB”, XVI was the first at the Capitol Complex. I suggested to my boss, Jack Walters, Director of the Department of General Services, that we host it on the Capitol Grounds. He agreed, though I suspect the idea had already been discussed with IHP, Don Benson and Chuck Offenburger. SAGBRAI, mislabeled at the time as Des Moines, was more what I’d call Johnston with the mass campground at Camp Dodge. The expense of route security has had me doubting we’d ever see another downtown DSM stop. I’m very curious to see the route in this time.

Back to topic: Practically any city of 2000 or more has enough park/school grounds to manage. Guthrie Center did it twice. Though on SAGBRAI there were only about 2000 of us riding.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #471008

coloradoshortbus
  • I agree that the last DSM stop was great. The city really had a fantastic venue and sleeping on the capital grounds, overlooking the city was great. I am certain that we will not be disappointed.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #471009

CyclingRoberto
  • Ed, you sound like somebody who would love the charter I’ve used for 6 RAGBRAI’s: Brancel Bicycle Charters. Great group of people, the staff, the other cyclists. Always pick super camping areas. Check them out!

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #471010

3 Pedal
  • If you are not traveling with a big team or an RV that you would like to plug in, there really isn’t anything to worry about at this point in terms of camping. I wouldn’t worry about it. Tons of people simply show up without any logistical planning, and it works out fine for them.

Of course, that said, I already have my first reservation for the week confirmed.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #471033

jwsknk
  • Lots of people were thinking fairgrounds with the campground, showers, bathrooms there. and a stage for a big concert and stages for smaller ones. Then I read Sunday TJ said “close to downtown”… Waterworks Park? unless it’s flodded again.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #471256

Michrider
  • CR: Ed, you sound like somebody who would love the charter I’ve used for 6 RAGBRAI’s: Brancel Bicycle Charters. Great group of people, the staff, the other cyclists. Always pick super camping areas. Check them out!

CR is right, Brancel does a good job. I traveled with them in 2007. Bob Brancel is a great guy!!

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #471260

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy