The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

RAGBRAI bad for the environment?

This has got to be one of the dumbest things I’ve read in a while:

“A Seattle lawmaker is defending his proposed bike tax by saying that bikes are a) unhealthy; and b) bad for the environment.”

http://now.msn.com/ed-orcutt-seattle-representative-defends-bike-tax-by-saying-bikes-are-bad-for-the-environment

10 Replies

Profile photo of Evan S
Evan S, March 4, 2013 at 10:22 am

Wow. What a completely uneducated thing to say!!

I had no idea my bike was worse than a suburban!!

Profile photo of Pdiddly
Pdiddly, March 4, 2013 at 10:26 am

Wow Evan, I thought the picture I was looking at was of the Seattle Lawyer. Turns out its your cool avatar! Besides, if you woke up this morning, ultimately, you are harming the environment to survive. But don’t get me started!

Profile photo of "Bicycle Bill"
“Bicycle Bill”, March 4, 2013 at 11:51 am

Just when you think that politicians could get no dumber…..

I don’t know what’s worse — this idiot himself, or that enough people voted for him so that he got elected.  As someone in the article’s comments noted, it must be a very low bar to jump in order to get elected to the Washington State legislature.

-“BB”-

Profile photo of Dave
Papa T, March 4, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I will say though bikes are very good for the enviorment, I’m not sure about Ragbrai. Have you ever ridden through a overnight town the next morning? What a bunch of slobs we are!

Even though the towns put out barrels to through away the trash, most of it ends up on the streets and peoples lawns.

I wish something could be done about it, but I don’t know what.

Profile photo of jim
jwsknk, March 4, 2013 at 2:35 pm

even when to towns put out recycling boxes there are either not enough ot everything just gets mixed together anyawy. In camp we keep it seperated and usually find someone to donate the cans to in the morning.

Profile photo of Stacie
Zinger, March 4, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Ignorant politicians are bad for the environment!!

Profile photo of indianafrank
indianafrank, March 4, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I’ve been saying for a long time that the reason we have climate change is that today the world has 7 billion people and they’re all joggers.
This guy can’t be serious about this, though. Has to be a joke.

Profile photo of WILLIAM
Sandaltan, March 4, 2013 at 4:14 pm

And here comes the “clarification”.
http://bikeportland.org/2013/03/04/rep-ed-orcutt-responds-apologizes-for-email-confusion-83716

RIDE RIGHT

Profile photo of trek15rider
trek15rider, March 5, 2013 at 7:38 am

Typical politician; says something he no doubt meant to say, receives push back because of the idiotic nature of the statement, then immediately recants the initial statement. What a guy! Did anyone notice the proposed additional $25 fee for bicycles over $500 for additional infrastructure in the story? I’m guessing that would be on top of the standard sales tax which should already be covering such things as infrastructure. Wonder if he’s also considering additional fees for car purchases? Just saying.

Profile photo of James
thangamalang, March 18, 2013 at 1:11 pm

We should all be aware of the waste we create and do the best we can to keep it minimal. I can say that the larger cities and metro’s have garbage taken to a regional center to be seperated and recycled. The smaller rural towns often have a private business pick up recyclables at the curb and forward the material to a larger recycle center. If recyclables go in with garbage in many rural areas it will end up in the landfill.

Hat’s off to jwsknk and his bunch!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013

Training

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Gatherings & Meetings

RAGBRAI XL – 2012