The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Ragbrai boycott

What happened to the discussion about boycotting Iowa due to Steve King’s remarks? Was that whole thread deleted? I know there was a lot of name calling, but the initial statement / question was completely civil.

I was really looking forward to another great ride across Iowa this year, but the more I thought about it I realized that if I participated I would condone congressman King’s bigoted attitudes. Iowans say that King is only one person, but if other Iowans didn’t share his views, then he wouldn’t have been elected. I hope that a loss of revenue in King’s district will inspire his defeat in the next election.

I look forward to riding Ragbrai in the future, either on a route not in King’s district, or when he is replaced.

90 Replies

Profile photo of William
W Fanning, April 8, 2017 at 6:27 am

Barin Beard.. I’m with you.. this is my first RAGBRAI.. and I’ve been wanting to do it for as long as I can remember.. I’m not letting some politics ruin my time.. I plan on have a piece of pie everyday..

See you in Orange City..

Profile photo of James
Jboz, April 8, 2017 at 8:08 am

I am also lean toward the No-Rhubarb Party, though I haven’t contributed any money to them. My wife’s entire family are hard-core, committed Rhubarbers. And since this divisive issue has become so heated over the past 10 or 15 years, at family reunions we avoid any discussions of religion or pie.

Profile photo of Michrider
Michrider !!!, April 8, 2017 at 8:38 am

Jboz: I am also lean toward the No-Rhubarb Party, though I haven’t contributed any money to them. My wife’s entire family are hard-core, committed Rhubarbers. And since this divisive issue has become so heated over the past 10 or 15 years, at family reunions we avoid any discussions of religion or pie.

null

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Michrider Michrider !!!.

Profile photo of Bill
mootsman, April 8, 2017 at 8:57 am

Not showing up on RAGBRAI and passing up on having a great time, that’ll show’em. Oh, uh,…. RAGBRAI don’t care!! I’ll be having a great time on RAGBRAI.

Profile photo of Kevin
Gypsy Rose, April 8, 2017 at 11:19 am

Pie

Profile photo of GP_in_SD
GP_in_SD , April 8, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Bill Spriggs, if you are in Southern CA, try Julian Pies bakery in Julian. They normally make rhubarb and strawberry mix but if you call ahead they will make a rhubarb only pie and hold it for you. OMG they are delicious. Expensive but as good or better than anything I’ve ever had on Ragbrai (20+). They also will bake and overnight a pie to you.

Profile photo of Bill
BillSpriggs, April 8, 2017 at 2:14 pm

GP_in_SD, Thanks for the recommendation however I’m in Central CA, we do have Jantz Bakery that will make rhubarb. Also as good as anything that I’ve had in Iowa. See you in July.

Profile photo of Kevin
Gypsy Rose, April 8, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Here’s my own version of strawberry rhubarb pie (with fruit that I grow right outside the kitchen).

Rhubarb

And, here’s my oft-requested apple pie, piled high with heirloom apples from my orchard.
Apple

I do love PIE!

Cheers,
~ Kevin

Profile photo of Timothy
tjdale57, April 8, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Boycotting RAGBRAI because of one politician…….more pie for the rest of us.

Profile photo of Chuck
Dockat, April 9, 2017 at 9:15 am

Ken , please boycott the rhubarb pie. You are a much faster rider than me and that will help me get a chance at rhubarb pie. My mouth is watering now!

Profile photo of Nick
gringonick, April 9, 2017 at 10:56 am

I work in a highly politicized facility (international news) and the arguments (and stupidity that goes along with it) is maddening. Yet we all laugh past it at some point, get the job done, eat lunch together, hoist a few on occasion, and share stories about our family and life outside of work, Netflix favorites, our favorite restaurants, our kids latest victories or set backs, etc. I think some of my work friends have ridiculous political arguments, and they give me crap about mine, and then we laugh.
Ragbrai is much the same: sharing what we have in common: riding, the lovely Iowa countryside, the Iowa hospitality, the Iowa food. There is so much we share in common that politics is a speck in my life during Ragbrai.
Don’t let the politically nonsensical, bombastic, racist/ethnocentric comments spouted out by certain politicians freeze you out of enjoying your life, because then they win. They will be crushed under the weight of their own arrogance and stupidity.
You gotta roll on and ride on! Hope you make it to Ragbrai 2017!

Profile photo of "Bicycle Bill"
“Bicycle Bill”, April 9, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Not that this will necessarily change anyone’s opinion or tastes with regard to rhubarb (or rhubarb-strawberry) pie, but were you aware that in many regions of the US rhubarb is know as “pie plant”?  Google it if you don’t believe me.

-“BB”-

Profile photo of jake d
jake d, April 9, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Lawnchairman, sorry to here you will not be joining us this year. I applaud your convictions, but your actions will have little or no affect. You say,
” I think that were I to ride this year, King would think I supported his statements.
If Representative King has demonstrated anything in his career, it’s that he cares very little about what other people think, unless they share his view on how the world should be.
As for RAGBRAI, because King’s district represents one of the most rural parts of the state, it comprises almost 40% of the counties in Iowa.
To boycott RAGBRAI thru King’s district would eliminate any ride starting north of Council Bluffs. That’s roughly 2/3 of Iowa’s western border.
I can assure you that the vast majority of Iowans disagree with a lot of King’s views, including a good number of people in his district.
Hope you reconsider.

Profile photo of Ken
KenH, April 9, 2017 at 10:52 pm

I believe that one should walk the walk as well as talk the talk so I will sit beside anyone I find eating rhubarb in a pie and engage them in a friendly conversation about the joy of eating pie and riding across Iowa in late July. Perhaps we can agree that anyone who will ride a bike 400 miles to eat pie has something fundamental in common with us. Perhaps we can agree that each one should be able to enjoy the pie of their choice without condemnation or discrimination.

I hereby repudiate my earlier statement that rhubarb is an abomination and apologize to anyone who was offended by it. I will not eat rhubarb but I will no longer disparage those who do and I will gently encourage those who continue to disparage their fellow pie eaters to see the error of their ways. And of course as several of you have observed the fact that I will not eat rhubarb leaves more for the rest of you. If you should see a piece of rhubarb pie with my name on it please buy it and enjoy it with my blessing.

RAGBRAI may not care, but I do!!

Profile photo of Ken
reedkennethia, April 10, 2017 at 7:39 am

I am going to start a massive anti-rhubarb pie demonstration at Capitol Square (RAGBRAI headquarters) tomorrow. I expect somewhere in the range of 100,000 people to be there. We are going to make a difference. #NoRhubarb #MakeRAGBRAIApplePieAgain

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013

Training

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Gatherings & Meetings

RAGBRAI XL – 2012