RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

RAGBRAI for Rookies

(12 posts) (7 voices)
Started 8 months, 1 week ago ago by Tony
Latest reply from Sharie-Prow 6 months, 1 week ago ago

Tony
  • The Quad Cities Bicycle Club is once again presenting RAGBRAI for Rookies Seminar.Please share this with other cyclist. We want RAGBRAI veterans and rookies alike to attend. We will provide up to date information on the ride. We would like you to RSVP. So we have an idea of how many refreshments we need. But walk ins are very welcome to attend.Ken Urban has gotten a special guest for us this year.

RAGBRAI for Rookies Seminar

Author Greg Borzo will be a special guest at the 2014 RAGBRAI for Rookies seminar/open house on February 1st. Borzo published “RAGBRAI- America’s Favorite Ride” in 2013. He interviewed hundreds of participants including QCBC legend Carter Lebeau. He collected a lavish collection of historic and contemporary RAGBRAI photographs and cartoons. Books will be available for purchase and signing by the author.
    The free presentation is open to the general public and will cover topics including: application preparation, training advice, luggage, logistics, safety, and maintenance. The format this year will feature a presentation by Greg Borzo and QCBC RAGBRAI veterans followed with an open house. Guests can get individual attention on topics that they have questions on. A multimedia slide presentation will share photos from past years. Refreshments will be served.
    Veteran riders and first timers are all welcome to share ideas and stories. Bring your old inner tubes and wheels if you need some coaching on patching and tube replacement!

Date: Saturday, February 1st

Time: 1:00-4:00 PM

Where: Davenport Public Library, 6000 Eastern Avenue, Davenport, IA

RSVP preferred: e-mail: KDU1936@msn.com or 563-343-9118

Posted 8 months, 1 week ago ago #706755

zabo
  • Hi Tony,

Will there a seminar for the folks who are not in the Davenport area? It sounds interesting.

BTW: I loved the Wenzel tent that you recommended last year. The one lesson I learned from it, though, was that despite what the weather stations say (or insist), always put the fly on when leaving the tent for any length of time. I got soaked in Perry.

Zabo

Posted 8 months, 1 week ago ago #707029

Tony
  • Hi Zabo,

The seminar is only in Davenport. QCBC provides up to date information about the ride, equipment and large group ride safety, for veteran riders and newbies alike. We explain the registration process. We have computers to register at the event. For those that want to register at the event. One of our presenters has all his gear for the ride at the event. He shows tips on how to pack your gear to keep it dry. He has his tent setup as he would on the ride. He explains what to and not bring and why. Dean Mathis, aka Bearback, will show what basic tools you need to bring. Show how to repair tires. Dean is one of those RAGBRAI icons. He has helped hundreds of stranded cyclist with flats on RAGBRAI over the years. Bring a blown inner tube with you. Dean will teach you how to fix it and make it good as new. While this seminar is free and open to the public. I will speak specifically on logistics for our charter service. I cover long term parking, transportation, shipping bikes, our support crew, campsites layout, daily baggage handling, and amenities. Our host for the event is Ken Urban. He is a photographer. He will have a slide show of past rides running throughout the event. He has gotten a guest speaker this year, Greg Borzo. Greg is a Chicago free lance writer. He has just released a book on RAGBRAI. John Karras wrote the forward in his latest book. He will be speaking on his RAGBRAI experience. RAGBRAI has a blog about his book. We are looking forward to providing this service again.

Posted 8 months, 1 week ago ago #707998

zabo
  • I tip my hat to you for doing this. It is great that you are playing such a positive role both in the community and in the forum. I admit that I would attend just for the sheer fun of it. I love the preparation and planning aspects too.

One thing that I found to be valuable was to create a list of items to bring before the ride. That list would categorize items by whether or not they went on the bike or with the transport van, or whether it could be on either (e.g. rain gear). I then edit that list immediately upon return with suggested equipment changes, food strategies, safety tips, sunburn and heat stroke prevention, yada yada so that it would be ready for the next year.

I felt that I was really prepared for the second ride. The bag that I carry is extremely light, but I feel that it contains everything that I need plus room to spare…but not too much room. The bag has shoulder straps so that I can wear it while I am riding in case I ever need to.

Thank you, Tony.

Zabo

Posted 8 months, 1 week ago ago #709428

Tony
  • Thank you Zabo. Ken is on the QCBC Board of Directors. He came up with the idea RAGBRAI for Rookies. The QCBC wanted to promote the ride and assist cyclist in prepare for it. Wither they use our charter service or not. Along with the seminar. Dixon holds training rides. These rides focus on distance and hills. Again these rides are open to all cyclist and free. To truly enjoy RAGBRAI you must train for it. Anyway you look at it. It is still 500 mile ride and camping. With back to back days of distance riding. Planning and training make this ride so much more enjoyable.

Posted 8 months, 1 week ago ago #714186

Ragbrai Nation
  • Listen to Uncle Tony; And if I may exacerbate… with the proper training, the exertion you’ll put forth each day on the Ragbrai will be but a FOOTNOTE to the menagerie you’ll experience. Enjoy the seminar!

Posted 8 months, 1 week ago ago #716433

Tony
  • Bumping this to the top. To remind you the seminar is, Saturday Feb 1 1-4PM @ Davenport Public Library, 6000 Eastern Avenue, Davenport, IA

Posted 7 months, 1 week ago ago #733492

“Bicycle Bill”
  • I’d love to come down and take part, Tony, but Why did you let them schedule it the same day as BRR?

-”BB”-

Posted 7 months, 1 week ago ago #733494

Sharie-Prow
  • Iowa native looking to ride RAGBRAI this year! Husband would like to drive pick up and camper from town to town. Do we really have to sign up for a group in order for him to follow along? Don’t mind paying for vehicle tag, non-rider bracelet, but coming from Colorado and don’t have a group! We don’t have to stay in official campsite either. Any information on RV camping is appreciated! Thanks

Posted 6 months, 1 week ago ago #750318

Sharie-Prow
  • Thanks – looks like we need to find a group in order to bring the camper. Husband was planning on driving off route but may not matter.

Posted 6 months, 1 week ago ago #750321

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy