RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

RAGBRAI history

(10 posts) (3 voices)
Started 1 year, 6 months ago ago by jwsknk
Latest reply from knees36 1 year, 6 months ago ago

jwsknk
  • The Great Six-Day Bicycle Ride, Aug 26-31, 1973.
    John Karass suggested Don Kaul ride his bike across Iowa and report on what he saw. Kaul said he would do it but, Karrass had to do it too. About 300 showed up at the start, 144 made the entire way. about 500 road the day from Ames to Des Moines. Only arrangements that they made were motel rooms for Kaul, Karrass and Don Benson, the Registers public relations director. and no one had driven the route beforehand.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #476993

jwsknk
  • SAGBRAI, Aug 4-10, 1974. About 2700 arrived in Council Bluffs, this time the Iowa Highway patrol was involved along with the addition of a sag service, baggage transport and medical aid. And, they drove the route before the ride. About 1700 finished

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #477152

knees36
  • I wanted to go on that first ride sooooo bad…the riders “overnighted” in Fort Dodge and went on through Coalville the next morning (about three blocks from where we had lived), but I couldn’t even get an hour off work that morning just to ride for a mile or two with you guys on my old Hiawatha single speed balloon tired “beast.” I followed the ride just the same by reading the DM Registers’ daily accounts of that week and for the next seven years of the ride and finally earned enough vacation to go on RAG IX. It was a heavenly experience. (I may be risking spiritual repercussions here.) Cheers.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #477153

jwsknk
  • A name is born, apparently the ride isn’t going away after 1 or 2. RAGBRAI III Aug 3-9, 1975. The tradition of tire dipping had already begun, although Karras once said he has no idea how that started, but this year saw them up north so they decided the Big Sioux qualified. About 3,200 set out and 2,400 finished.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #477402

jake d
  • In an article Karras wrote to prepare for SAGBRAI, he announced the ride would start with the traditional tire dipping in the Missouri and end by dipping in the Mississippi. In his book, Karras admits that it was,” pure balderdash”. He made it up as he was writing the article not realizing thousands of riders would follow thru.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #477472

knees36
  • Thanks so much for sharing that article, Skunky. It brought back many pleasant memories of the earlier RAG’s that I didn’t get to ride but experienced through reading the DM Register instead.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #477658

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy