Forums

Forums Categories

Members

RAGBRAI may not be as sweet this year

(17 posts) (11 voices)
Started 1 year, 7 months ago ago by Davy Sprocket
Latest reply from jwsknk 1 year, 7 months ago ago

Sandaltan
  • There has to be sweet corn….it is not an official RAGBRAI unless there is plentiful Iowa Sweet Corn.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502680

Geoffrey
  • I’m sure one of the big Ag companies will pull of some sort of fast growing hybrid for us! Go GMO!!!!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502850

jwsknk
  • one story I saw estimated July 10 as the earliest it would be ready

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502851

jwsknk
  • just hope the corn is “knee high by the 4th of July” otherwise corn and bean fields won’t make much diference.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502853

CyclingRoberto
  • I know I’m going to be burnt by this comment, however, I’ve yet to have what I would have expected (given the wall-to-wall corn we see) from Iowa sweet corn. Having grown up in the Garden State where the very best eating corn on earth is grown, I might be a hard sell. But even our Pennsylvania corn has a better taste and texture then the near horse corn I found on my six RAGBRAI’s. I had a couple have decent ears, but nothing AMAZING.

Flame on.

See you on the road.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502869

knees36
  • CyclingRoberto: Flame on.

Burn flame, burn!!! Just kidding, CR. I just planted our sweet corn yesterday (north central Iowa) and if it isn’t drowned out or burnt up in drought by July 20 I may just bring an ear or two for you. The variety is Gurney’s “Hybrid Gotta Have It.” I’ve tasted sweet corn on previous RAG’s and some of did taste more like immature field corn (I shall not name the overnight towns), so I can somewhat agree with your assessment. I’ve been through both of your states on a number of occasions and spent some considerable time in Jersey but can’t remember any outstanding tasty corn from that long ago so any comparison is zilch for me. Hope you and all RAGBRIer’s have a sweet and starchy ride this summer. Cheers

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502872

Derek
  • Maybe your sweet corn just needs some of that AMAZING Nutbutte. :roll:

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502873

SFC JKL2
  • -just hope the corn is “knee high by the 4th of July”

Corn was all planted a month ago last year. This year the farmer haven’t even looked at the fields let alone planted anything. Just hope it’s high enough to make a curtain this year because using kybo’s all the time will suck.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502875

jwsknk
  • the “wall-to-wall” corn is mostly field corn, used for livestock feed and now fuel production, popcorn is also gron in a few large operations, west-north west Schallar, Sioux City, Lakw View, Sweet corn is a very small part, it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot for RAGBRAI wasn’t trucked in from someplace else to meet the demand and seasonal availability. Sometimes you do see the people there husking it right before cooking, that is probably fresh

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502921

Michrider
  • You may want to bring your own????

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502928

CyclingRoberto
  • Now there’s an idea! Nubutte on corn. Um, nah. Looks like somebody didn’t like the chamois cream thread. Seems to have vanished.

I am always looking for a great ear of corn. Just was really surprised at how little really great corn I’ve found in Iowa so far. Was also surprised at how little other veggies are grown in state. Seems soybeans, corn, and hogs rule.

Nubutte on chips maybe, but corn, I don’t think so.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502979

Pdiddly
  • Derek, you did not just ask CR to Nubutte his Sweet Corn! I’m guessing most of the corn came from CA, that might explain things.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502989

Derek
  • Yes, I did. But…. I think the Nubutte Salsa idea is probably better. I had envisioned mexican type corn on a stick with mayo and paprika, except Nubutte instead of mayo.

Mmmmmm…. only the finest Dijon Nubuttes! :lol:

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #502992

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy