Forums

Forums Categories

Members

RAGBRAI XLI Route

(116 posts) (53 voices)
Started 1 year, 7 months ago ago by jake d
Latest reply from Ragvet33 1 year, 7 months ago ago

jake d
  • Guessed three towns correct, Harlan, Perry, and Oskaloosa. Had three near misses with Knoxville, Fairfield, and Ft. Madison. The two curve balls with Council Bluffs and Des Moines I never saw coming. Should be a fun route, but expect HUGE crowds with this short of route.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470760

bentjay
  • 2nd Shortest, 15th Flattest, and 7th Easiest….The streaming commentary after the announcement said that this year’s route was based on their awareness of how hard last year’s route and heat had been on riders although it had appeared easy on paper. Only one long and hilly day, Monday at 83 miles, which also will be the Karras Loop day.

Only 175 days and counting down…

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470765

Jboz
  • I agree with the big crowds, and Council Bluffs as the start town will draw Omahans. Guessing the Karras Loop will get quite a few more than usual considering how easy the other days are. Personally, I like the route.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470768

champgabe
  • This will be my second & my sister’s first RAGBRAI. I couldn’t have asked for a better route for this year. I have a lot of family on this route, so lots of beds and showers. Also, I get to celebrate my father’s birthday on the 24th with him. I had an awesome experiance last year and left years of “I CAN’T” along the side of last years route. I have been questioning if I wanted to do RAGBRAI again this year, but after seeing the route it is a no brainer. Now I just have to wait until RAGBRAI finally arrives.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470776

trknight
  • I had four of the eight, Harlan, Oskaloosa, Fairfield and Ft Madison (had it trending a touch more south from Harlan). The only overnight of the eight I didn’t think was a possibility was Des Moines. I’m actually a little disappointed in how short the route is and was hoping for a little more climbing (love the rollers!).

Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday could be huge for bandits, especially Sunday. The number of riders out of Council Bluffs four years ago seemed never ending.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470778

FarleyBob
  • I picked Harlan and Knoxville, after that I was shooting blanks! I just hope there are a few good hills! I love going down hills!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470780

bramasoleiowa
  • Seems like they’re making up for the two long days last year to get us to that little concert that Smelly Rapids had.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470782

bramasoleiowa
  • How soon until GeoBike has the map up on his website?

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470783

Ed Kanitra
  • I missed the amount of total climbing for the route. Anyone know it, off hand?

406 miles? I feel cheated :wink: At least I won’t have to do any training for this little ride! Seriously, I think it is a great way for a virgin to break into the ride, and I cannot wait!

I think I had 3 correct guesses Des Moines, Knoxville, and Ft. Madison. As we got closer to the announcement date I was positive the ending city was going to be Guttenburg for no other reason than that looked like it would be to toughest city for me to drive to, :lol:

Can’t wait!!!!!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470843

Steve
  • This is my first RAGBRAI, and it’s interesting that they chose to overnight in Des Moines. My father worked for Coke and was being transferred out of state when my mother was pregnant with me. They waited until after I was born, at Mercy hospital in Des Moines, before moving us all to Illinois). I’ve never been back to Iowa, but I’m something of a native son.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470885

gas gas
  • The average RAGBRAI is 468 miles .

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470886

Michrider
  • Ed K: 406 miles? I feel cheated :wink: At least I won’t have to do any training for this little ride! Seriously, I think it is a great way for a virgin to break into the ride, and I cannot wait!

Ed, It might be short but we’ll still be doing lots of climbing. I think it will be a great week. I’m glad it will be south, going thru the Loess hills of Iowa!!!! :)

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470889

Jboz
  • Easy route = more riders

Short, easy days = longer stays in pass thru towns, and earlier arrivals in overnight towns.

Longer stays in pass thru towns and early arrival in overnight towns = more time off the bike

More time off the bike = more money being spent by riders

More riders spending more money = bigger economic footprint and much more revenue to the communities

I don’t know what all factors into route selection, but I have to assume that $ is a big component, maybe the primary component of the equation. Last year, I was too exhausted in Webster City and Marshalltown to spend as much cash as I would normally spend.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470971

Michrider
  • It will be hilly but the shorter mileage will days easier! Plenty of time to take it easy, enjoy pass thru towns and drink a few beverages on the Kurbs of Iowa!!!! Last night TJ did say that last year’s heat was a consideration in picking this route. Jboz, I agree about heat and exhaustion! Looking forward to this year!!!!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #470985

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy