• Profile picture of Edwin
    active 16 minutes ago
  • Profile picture of Sheldon
    active 24 minutes ago

Reccomendation for bike seat-Mens Road Bike

(11 posts) (11 voices)
Started 11 months, 1 week ago by bradcss
Latest reply from gringonick 2 months, 2 weeks ago

This topic contains 10 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nick gringonick 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

I am considering changing out the seat on my 2014 Cannondale Synapse 5C but I don’t know anything about what are the best seats for an endurance ride like Ragbrai…any seats that are regularly recommended in the biking community?

• Profile photo of BRAD
    bradcss
  • I am considering changing out the seat on my 2014 Cannondale Synapse 5C but I don’t know anything about what are the best seats for an endurance ride like Ragbrai…any seats that are regularly recommended in the biking community?

Posted 11 months, 1 week ago ago #1155660

• Profile photo of Matt
    Matt
  • A well set up brooks saddle is your best bet. You should have plenty of time to break it in. With a brooks saddle, there’s nothing hard under the padding. And the weight wont make any difference for Ragbrai.

Posted 11 months, 1 week ago ago #1155693

• Profile photo of paul
    ppayne1959
  • My brother and I have this debate all the time. He is old school and loves his Brooksie. I am more a speed demon and like modern saddle technology. A lot of this is personal preference but I think it is a sin that he has placed a Brooks saddle on his Carbon Madone. If you trend towards old school Brooks is certainly the way to go. If you are more new school my personal opinion is Fizik or Selle Italia are tops. Selle San Marco makes some very good saddles as well. To get one you are truly happy with you would plan on spending more than $125-$300 retail. That being said I have found great deals on Ebay onlce you know what model you want, but you need to be patient.

Posted 11 months ago ago #1156348

• Profile photo of dc7603
    dc7603 Cunningham
  • I had the same dilemma last year and sought out recommendations on this site. After a thorough review of the seats recommended and some of my own research, I settled on a Selle Anatomica all leather saddle. I will without exception say that it was the best decision I made for RAGBRAI 2015. I had previously only ridden modern looking road bike saddles that left me sore at the end of a long ride but this very simple all leather saddle with a anatomically designed cutout for male riders made each day on the bike a pleasure. I never once experienced saddle fatigue, no constant shifting as I rode to find the ever elusive comfy spot. I was just plain comfortable every mile of every day. Recommended break in was 500 miles I believe but I only managed 300 or so prior to leaving for Sioux City and it wasn’t a problem at all. Paid about $180 on amazon.

Posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1161370

• Profile photo of GORDON
    GORDON BROWN
  • I just ordered a Selle Anatomica X. I’ll have to work quick to break it in.

Posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1161545

• Profile photo of Geoff
    Groeny82
  • I know RAGBRAI is over but I have heard good things about the Brooks Cambium. It’s a rubber saddle, “supposed” to be as comfortable right out of the box as a leather Brooks is once it’s broken in according to many reviews. I don’t have any firsthand or secondhand experience with these but I have been very interested in them and trying to find one to demo. I really like the accolades that Brooks saddles get but for my personal preference I don’t like the looks of leather saddles with the “apron” (or whatever it’s called) that comes down on the sides of the saddle. The nice thing about the Cambium is that it still has the look of a modern saddle. You can get it with or without a cutout, and can also get it with either a metal rail or a carbon rail. Just looking on the Brooks website and the Swallow is leather and has a pretty nice modern look to it as well. Also heard many good things about the Selle Anatomica.

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #1165151

• Profile photo of Lewis
    T. Gap Woo
  • When I bought my Trek 7300 four years ago, I switched out of the stock saddle that came with the bike after a few months and many miles of riding. It was too narrow and never broke in like I hoped. My LBS installed their “house brand” saddle, which was about 11″ across at the widest point and well-padded. As a supplement, I bought a padded saddle cover a few months later. I’ve ridden in comfort ever since, including three RAGBRAIs and many local rides. There is only way I could be more comfortable: install a fully-padded tractor seat! Are you listening, John Deere?

See you along the I-O-Way in only 51 more weeks!

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #1165184

• Profile photo of Francois
    francoisvanzyl
  • The very best saddle for RAGBRAI is the one you don’t know you have.
    I have shortened the stem and added a Brooks saddle and 25 mm tires to my Litespeed Tuscany (curved seat stays) and it is now the perfect century ride for an old guy like me.

Posted 3 months, 1 week ago ago #1215003

• Profile photo of "Bicycle Bill"
    “Bicycle Bill”
  • I would definitely recommend a bike seat on a men’s road bike for RAGBRAI.  It can be an awfully long ride if you have to stand up on the pedals all the way across the state otherwise.

-“BB”-

Posted 3 months, 1 week ago ago #1215240

• Profile photo of Curtis
    Curtis Moore
  • I’ll be on a Cobb Cycling Randee’ saddle. It’s designed for these longer rides and tours. This will be my second saddle since I’ve already worn out the first Randee’ I got! You can read up on it at http://www.cobbcycling.com/product/randee/

I’ve ridden Brooks before and if they’re broken in right they are fantastic saddles.

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1225688

• Profile photo of Nick
    gringonick
  • I swapped out the stock saddle for an ism Typhoon. ism has discontinued the Typhoon so its replacement is the PR 3.0. The ism line has many cutout saddle options.
    Ride On!

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1225833

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy