The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Registration Lottery Q

I’m part of a team that’s looking forward to our first RAGBRAI this year, and I’m curious about the registration lottery – does every year field the full 8,500 riders? How many registrations are rejected? Do teams have a better chance than individuals? Should I be worried?

7 Replies

Profile photo of Michrider
Michrider !!!, January 29, 2013 at 1:55 pm

No, you should not worry! Get your registration completed, properly, and submitted on time, you’ll get in! Anyway, about June of each year, the Forum is swamped with people selling their ride bracelet. Worry Not!!!!

Profile photo of WILLIAM
Sandaltan, January 29, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Register as a group (team) of three or more and you will be in. In the lottery, if one member of a team is chosen all are in. I have yet to read or hear of a team not being selected in the lottery as long as they have met the deadlines for registration.

RIDE RIGHT

Profile photo of John Blackman
John Blackman, February 7, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Great thanks for asking this question , my wife and I are Canadian Newbies and now I will brag it up as if I know I am in!

Profile photo of ISUTubbs
ISUTubbs, February 12, 2013 at 7:17 pm

John Blackman: one of my fellow teammates is also from Canada…living in Cincinnati now. He’ll be thrilled to know there is another Canadian along for the ride. 🙂

Profile photo of Lisa
Lisa Gawlik, March 1, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Oh, I am so glad I looked at your post. I was worried also whether i would get in, I am entering by myself. Sure hope I can do the whole week1 I fear being in a heap at the side of the road on the 83 mile day!!!

Profile photo of CyclingRoberto
CyclingRoberto, March 1, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Lisa, there is only one way to guarantee that you will enjoy the entire week on your bicycle: train hard. Do lots of miles, and RAGBRAI will be so much more fun. Make sure to get out for several 50+ mile rides before the event. Have fun!
See you on the road.

Profile photo of Michrider
Michrider !!!, March 1, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Lisa, listen to CR’s advice. You’ll never hear anyone complain because they rode too many miles. However, you’ll hear many people complaining about sore butts!!! Don’t be one of the sore butt people, get in lots of saddle time!!!!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLI – 2013’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013

Training

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Gatherings & Meetings

RAGBRAI XL – 2012