RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Rock Valley going to be like Rock Rapids as a starting point?

(20 posts) (11 voices)
Started 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago by IAMBATMAN
Latest reply from Sandaltan 9 months, 1 week ago ago

Tagged: 

IAMBATMAN
  • I rode the week they started in Rock Rapids. Small town and lots of traffic congestion. Rock Valley looks like it will be the same way. Anyone remember starting in Rock Valley?

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #739526

“Bicycle Bill”
  • We’ve never started in Rock Valley before, but it doesn’t matter.  Rock Valley or Rock Rapids (or Onawa, or Akron, or Missouri Valley), if you take a town of a few thousand people and a couple of square miles and then bring in 20K more people (counting riders, support staff, and transients; that is, people just coming in and dropping someone off), you’re going to have congestion.  If the town’s committee recognizes this and plans accordingly some of the problems can be minimized, but you’ll never completely eliminate the situation.

-”BB”-    

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #739591

Sandaltan
  • What year was it that we started in Rock Ridge??? I remember the sheriff was very helpful.

RIDE RIGHTR

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #739936

“Bicycle Bill”
  • Sandaltan said: “What year was it that we started in Rock Ridge??? I remember the sheriff was very helpful.”

I’ve got a list of all the towns tucked right here under my belt, and I can tell you in just a moment.  ‘Scuse me while I whip this out…..

-”BB”-

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #740030

Sandaltan
  • Maybe Rock Valley could use the movie as their theme. The citizens of Rock Valley could dress as characters in the movie. I would hope that there would be several Miss Steins.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #740173

“Bicycle Bill”
  • Sandaltan said: “Maybe Rock Valley could use the movie as their theme. The citizens of Rock Valley could dress as characters in the movie. I would hope that there would be several Miss Steins.”

Phooey on that!  I’d hold out for Lilly von Schtupp.
        “Hello, handsome, is that a ten-gallon hat or are you just enjoying the show?”

-”BB”-

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #740455

Sandaltan
  • Iceman, I like it!!! The football rivalries of the South are fun to spectate. Beebs, we watched Blazing Saddles on the tube last week and the Little Stoker asked me if I knew what Lilly’s last name meant…I had no idea…she knew. Now I know. A great movie to watch again and again.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #742190

hallyhall
  • Rock Valley has talked about using Rivers Bend Campground as their main camping area. A quick looksie on Google Earth shows that’s going to be a headache. One way in from town. The campground is maybe a mile or two away connected by a trail but the only road that leads to the main campground is going to be a mess. People using charters or team-specific campgrounds that won’t need to go to the main campground will be much better off.

So, the one road into to the campground look has me thinking of Le Claire in 2008, and that’s not a pretty memory to have.

But, hopefully they can work out an ingenious plan to get all of those people in and around town.

Posted 9 months, 1 week ago ago #750244

jwsknk
  • that looks like a RV park. big open space across the rive along Kiwanis trail looks like a nightmare too . 2 dead end roads into it and one doesn’t look like it has much at the end only a turn around. Looks like some large open lots in the industrial park just south, at least that’s a loop road.

Posted 9 months, 1 week ago ago #750248

Pdiddly
  • And just our luck everyone will be packing an extra tent garage for their bike because they saw it on the “Forum”!

“Oh, the HUMANITY!!”…..

I just hope we don’t have to resort to eating the weak because they run out of food before the Sunday morning start.

Posted 9 months, 1 week ago ago #750256

Michrider
  • Pdiddly: I just hope we don’t have to resort to eating the weak because they run out of food before the Sunday morning start.

RAGBRAI don’t care bout NO weak or week!!!!!

Posted 9 months, 1 week ago ago #750261

jwsknk
  • pdiddly, don’t camp close to the Donner Party :-)

Posted 9 months, 1 week ago ago #750262

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy