Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Rode the route. Roller-coaster hills

(18 posts) (8 voices)
Started 1 year, 4 months ago ago by Mike Hemen
Latest reply from Mike Hemen 1 year, 4 months ago ago

Mike Hemen
  • A friend and I took our motorcycles and rode this year’s route to see what we’re going to be up against. I know it’s the “second flattest” RABRAI in history but we’ll be going in and out of a lot of valleys. Smaller elevation differences between overnight towns doesn’t translate to a flatter RAGBRAI. Train well, my friends!

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #520132

Michrider
  • You rode the route on motorcycles? Now that is interesting!!! It’s the second flattest in history??? That might could be a mistake!!! This will be my 9th ride. According to my crude Kentucky math, 1997, 2010 and 2007 all had less climbing that this years route!!! But then what do I know, I’m from Kentucky!!!! I suggest we all sit on an Iowa Kurb and discuss this matter over a few old Budweisers! BTW, I’ll buy!!!!

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #520135

David
  • Second shortest, sixth flattest.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #520139

Mike Hemen
  • You’ve got a deal, Michrider. I just kept thinking, for every uphill there’s gotta be a downhill. Somebody’s hiding those descents!

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #520140

Michrider
  • Michrider: But then what do I know, I’m from Kentucky!!!! I suggest we all sit on an Iowa Kurb and discuss this matter over a few old Budweisers! BTW, I’ll buy!!!!

I meant cold Budweisers, not old Budweisers!!!! As we all know, Budweiser has a born on date, LMAO!!!!

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #520142

Clayhill
  • Quote: “I just kept thinking, for every uphill there’s gotta be a downhill.”

No, you have that wrong. For every uphill, there’s another uphill. And just when you turn out of a headwind, the wind turns with you.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #520146

Mike Hemen
  • Kinda like when we walked to school everyday barefoot uphill both ways, right?

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #520150

kwog
  • I backtracked from Fort Madison to see what we would deal with the last day. That hill out of Bentonsport is just evil. What I mean by that is it looks like it ends about 3 different times then curves to reveal some more. The little seismograph line doesn’t reveal what the ride will really feel like. By the way after that climb there is a 4 or 5 mile strip of blacktop that is dead flat.

Kwog

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #520791

Mike Hemen
  • Kwog, nice looking recumbent. What brand is that? I ride an older Rans Stratus. Have built several TourEasy clones but finally bit the bullet and bought a factory-built bike. Can’t ever go back to sitting on a coke bottle all day!

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #520863

kwog
  • Homebuilt touring bike based on a Cruzbike geometry.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #521384

Clayhill
  • Perhaps this year you will not be inducted into the “Four H Club.” Heat, hills, headwinds and humidity.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #522320

Scott J
  • Bring it on – heat, humidity, hills and headwinds – we are ready! :-P

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #522537

jake d
  • The hill out of Bentonsport is a climb. I’m not sure how it ranks among the RAGBRAI classics, but it deserves some mention. I like the “evil” description. The last time we rode up that hill you could see vultures circling over the last half of it. Perrrfect.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #522539

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy