Forums

Forums Categories

Members

RV ?

(8 posts) (8 voices)
Started 1 year, 9 months ago ago by altoonahawk
Latest reply from kicks9 1 year, 9 months ago ago

altoonahawk
  • Thinking about roughing it in an RV this year. Where do RV’s park in each town? Do I need a pass? What are the pro’s and con’s from your experience?

thanks

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #473274

Papa T
  • get a vehicle pass when you register the team. If there is a non-riding driver get him/her a non rider pass.this will get you into the RV camping area. on the other hand, you can park it leagaly on almost any street.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #473323

Scott
  • Altoonahawk-

I asked that question a few months ago and started this thread: http://ragbrai.com/forums/topic/rv-usage/ It should have some helpful info for you. I will be doing the RV thing this year. No direct experience, as this is my first RAGBRAI in 25 years. Each town will have a separate RV camping area that allow generators to run all night. (tent camping area does not) There are no electric/water/sewer hookups, although each town will have a dump station and, i assume, a place to take on water.

You will need a pass and in order to get a pass you need a team of at least three people. I assume that your non-riding driver can count toward the three, but I didn’t look into that closely, as I already had three riders.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #473676

RoyBoy
  • Not all overnight towns will have a dump station or a way to take on water. If you do find one in an overnight town, it will probably be busy. You can also look for state or county parks along the route for dump stations and pay the daily fee to dump and get new water. Interstate rest stops have dump stations too.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #473677

jwsknk
  • Des Moines might try
    http://www.iowastatefairgrounds.org/camping/off-season-camping/
    they usually close mif July for fair prep but enough people contact them they may be open through that day. 3 miles from maingate to river, about 4 from the middle of the campgrounds.

knoxvill raceway campgrounds,might be official spot won’t know for a a couple more months on any of them though.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #473678

“Bicycle Bill”
  • altoonahawk: “Thinking about roughing it in an RV this year.”

LOL.  Only on RAGBRAI would bringing your own personal support vehicle be considered “roughing it”.

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #473679

Denise Fuller
  • benefit to staying at the rv spots (usely have to have a RV sticker) there is usely shuttle stops close by, showers are close because they are usely in schools parking lots, which also means you can plug phones in sit in the AC while your phone charges or even take a nap in the AC, you can use generators (most of our team tent it and most of the rv areas have had areas that you can put tents up)

As far as water my dad just ask someone if he can fill the water tank with there garden hose and pays them a few dollars. sewer he dumps at towns they have it marked on the town maps you do have to pay, but we don’t have to dump that much because we use the portapotty or the schools restroom and showers when ever possible.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474356

kicks9
  • Thinking about roughing it in an RV this year. Where do RV’s park in each town? Do I need a pass? What are the pro’s and con’s from your experience?

Park where ever you can find a spot (there are designated spots, but they do fill up). Yes you need a pass.
    Pros:
    AC, food storage, beer storage, cook your own food, use your water, always a shower (although we use public ones when we can), bring your own Gatorade or drink of choice (sometimes 3-4$ on route per bottle). Sleeping on a RV bed is better than on the ground in a tent. TV when you want (at least in the RV I ride in)
    Take whatever gear you want (no 1 bag limit)

Cons
    Where is the RV today (you never know where to find your RV)

That’s all I can think of for cons.

Kicks9

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #475123

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy