RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

San Diego RAGBRAI Training

(12 posts) (8 voices)
Started 1 year, 6 months ago ago by villis85
Latest reply from Josh 1 year, 2 months ago ago

villis85
  • Just checking to see if there are an7 RAGBRAIers in Southern California who would be interested in meeting for some casual, RAGBRAI style rides. I moved out here last summer and have noticed that there are a ton of cyclists in the area but they all seem to be of the Lance Armstrong wannabe variety. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…but cycling is a social activity for me and I enjoy the pit stops along the ride almost as much as the ride itself.

-Eric

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #479433

buttercupdog
  • Hi Eric.

Hopefully there are a wide variety of bike clubs near San Diego? I live in the IE and work in Temecula. I would love to. Are you doing the ride in June out of Encinitas? I am thinking of signing up for that one. Another thought, bike shops usually offer all kinds of rides.

Christine

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #479435

Pdiddly
  • Eric,
    I’ll be in sd next weekend visiting my son, bringing the bike too. If you’re near Mission beach I’d be happy to put a few miles in with you! I’m a NorCal rider going back for no. 2 Ragbrai

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #479438

villis85
  • Christine – I haven’t heard anything about the ride out of Encinitas in June. What’s the destination for that one?

Paul – I’d be down to ride on Saturday if you want. Maybe meet near Mission Beach mid morning or something?

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #479442

Zinger
  • I’m flying in to San Diego tomorrow to spend a week. Can’t wait to explore sunny California for the first time especially since we are due to get 4-8 inches of snow here in Iowa tonight!! We’re mainly there for the San Diego Half Marathon on the 10th, but hope to do a little biking around the bay also. It’s always a small world where RAGBRAI is concerned!!

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #479596

villis85
  • This is a perfect time to escape to San Diego for a week. I’ll be running the half marathon on Sunday as well. If you’re interested in riding on Saturday let me know. I think 10 am or so would be a good time to meet at Mission Beach.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #479618

Pdiddly
  • So sorry, my trip got post-poned. Let me know if you’re up in the Bay Area (Vallejo/Napa) and we’ll ride.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #479793

Reed
  • Eric: I can relate. I am more into touring than competitive cycling. I moved to North County San Diego 4 years ago from Iowa/Nebraska. I am 52 years old and ride mostly with guys and gals in their 60′s. I enjoy the ride and views more than grinding it out. I am going back for Ragbrai 2013 with two of my friends from here in San Diego. We rode about 32 miles today. I also periodically ride with a group of seniors on Thursday mornings from Carlsbad or Swamis. I live near Swamis Beach and ride up and down Highway 101 on a regular basis.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #479851

buttercupdog
  • Eric,

Look up San Diego Century tour. I am debating whether I will ride. There are three mileages to choose from. Goes along the coast. (and the longer go up some good climbs.) Well put-together event.

Christine

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #481107

Kevin Mickey
  • If you’re looking for group rides, UCC (Across I-5 from the Mormon Temple @Nobel) has a Saturday morning ride starting from their parking lot. The Trek Superstores sponsor weekly “get ready for the century” rides, also on Saturdays, starting in various places around the county. I think their ride is about 50 miles this week.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #494384

Josh
  • Hi Eric – I am also training for RAGBRAI in SD and am open to rides on the next few weekends as the time is getting closer. Send me a message if interested, and I can ping over my email.

Josh

Posted 1 year, 2 months ago ago #509919

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy