Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Small packable chair.

(14 posts) (13 voices)
Started 1 year, 6 months ago ago by getaclueblue
Latest reply from 10usstring 1 year, 6 months ago ago

getaclueblue
  • Does anyone have any ideas on a small,folding chair that I could purchase and take on RAGBRAI? It needs to be small enough to fit into a 32″ rolling duffle. It needs to have some back support and be lightweight.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #497178

not2old
  • Check Scheels. The Alps Moutaineering Rendezvous with its carry bag is 8″ X 28″ & weighs less than 7 lbs.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #497346

friday
  • The following chairs are usually reserved for ‘camping’ chairs, where weight and size are a concern. They would be great options for keeping the weight/volume down, but they might not offer enough back support (depending on what you need).

Crazy Creek folding chair (original, hexlight, etc.)

Alite Mayfly/Mantis.

check amazon/REI/Scheels for pricing on the different versions. They are what I would recommend if you want to avoid the bulkier metal frames that tend to plague ‘camp chairs’.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #497352

pmac
  • I used a alite mantis on a 10 day self-contained mountain bike trip last summer. It worked great for me and I’m 6’1″ and about 195. Packed up small, a bit smaller than a 2 liter coke bottle, very light (about 1.5lb), very good back support, sturdy and it got you off the ground. Didn’t try the 2 legged alite monarch, which is smaller and lighter. Depending on your size that may work for you.

The alite chairs are a tad pricey, but REI and Big Agnus have now come out with chairs similar to the mantis. If you have access to an REI store you can sit in a couple and check out what you like.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #497438

tjdale
  • I have a monarch. Not cheap but packs well. Thought sitting on a chair with only 2 legs would be tough but it really is not. I find I don’t use a chair much on RAGBRAI though. I am usually walking/riding around scoping out the town and people watching. Lots to do on RAGBRAI besides sit.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #498079

Pdiddly
  • I see that REI has its own brand of packable chair similar to the Mantis except it costs 1/2 of what the Mantis goes for. If you can afford the Mantis ($120+) it’s probably the best quality unit out there. The REI unit ($70) will probably work just fine. It’s the one I’ll probably get since I’ll only use it on RAGBRAI. Otherwise, I’m using the big Ole lounger chair that weighs who the hell knows how much!

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #498608

Michrider
  • I don’t have to worry about a chair because PBV has several hundred, set out under the big circus tent!!!!

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #498631

jsm
  • I remember having a blow up chair in the 70′s, on a hot day you would just stick to it, then slide off, yuck. I jut know the Princes is too cool to sweat so it might just work for her.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #498748

10usstring
  • I use an REI Flex Lite chair. Packs very small, easy set up and 1lb. 12 oz. Best I’ve found yet.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #498935

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy