RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

solo riders

(26 posts) (19 voices)
Started 1 year, 7 months ago ago by Ed Kanitra
Latest reply from bevelyn382 1 year, 6 months ago ago

Ed Kanitra
  • Any idea what percent of the riders in RAGBRAI show up for the ride on their own?

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #416605

Michrider
  • Nobody rides alone on RAGBRAI!!!! Ride and just start talking to other riders and you’ll find new friends!!!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #416640

daveflyer
  • Ed,if you find yourself alone in the evening, stop by my RV and we’ll provide you a beer, a chair and some friendly conversation. People are very friendly on RAGBRAI and most will welcome your visit.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #416719

Ed Kanitra
  • Oh believe me! I am not shy! LOL I am sure I will be busy talking to people and enjoying the week.:mrgreen: Better be careful, Dave. I may take you up on the offer. Goodness knows I’ll never pass up a beer! I was just curious!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #418068

RonB
  • Just a guess, but I’d say 10% to 15% go as solo riders. I’ve been on 2 Ragbrai’s solo, and 2 other week long tours in a group. Personally, I enjoyed the solo rides better. No expectations or obligations….just do what you and only you want to do, when you want to. And as others have said, there really is no alone on Ragbrai (well the Kybos being the exception). You will either talk to others, or they will talk to you. Even a severely introverted person would have trouble staying that way!!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #418623

jwsknk
  • RonB, MOST KTBO’s, the double wides can easly handle two, you just don’t find them often.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #418624

RoyBoy
  • I do RAGBRAI with a team but I can’t keep up with them so I am usually riding alone. I just strike up a conversation with whoever is near while or while taking a break. Sometimes you end up riding with the same people all day long and then see them again on another day. You’re never really alone.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #418625

mootsman
  • RonB,

I’ve ridden on 2 different teams and the 2nd one was much more like what you describe as solo. Sure, we had a team bus and a luggage truck but everyone did their own thing or formed a few smaller groups. No club jerseys, designated ride start times, etc. But with the ease of dealing with a smaller group then the central camp. Plus people to hang with only if you choose. Some early birds and some night owls. The other team I tried was just a little to tight knit for me although many people like that approach too.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #418861

Michael Hoenig
  • Teams are good when you feel you need a support group — or just one person — to stake out your campsite, meet you for lunch at the halfway town, and so on. I’ve enjoyed the experience…

I’ve been on a team every year I’ve ridden, but not 2013!

I’m renovating a perfectly good, barely-used Schwinn kiddie trailer over the winter. When it’s finished, it’ll be perfect for carrying my camping gear, Amateur Radio equipment, cooler, idunno…

Baggerland, here I come!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #421250

mary frances ponder
  • could someone tell me what is next after I enter this race? I am solo….untill I get there and have no clue what to do about eats,places to stay,etc?thxs,mfponder

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #421459

Michrider
  • Mary Frances, RAGBRAI is mainly a camping event. Motel rooms are few and hard to find. However, food can be found everywhere. Every passthrough & overnight town will have food vendors. Check out RAGBRAI information, http://ragbrai.com/about/
    You may also want to check out my favorite charter, Pork Belly Ventures (PBV) at http://pkbelly.com/ Look me up and I’ll buy you a beverage!!!!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #421668

Sandaltan
  • Mary Frances, if you go to Youtube and type in RAGBRAI and spend a couple of evenings viewing the results you will have some of your questions answered. Then if you go up to the top of this page and click “About RAGBRAI” and read the official info you will have more questions answered.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #421669

Amanda
  • Has anyone mentioned this is not a race? It’s a ride to be enjoyed. How you want to enjoy is entirely up to you!!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #421790

jsm
  • I always thought it was a race to see who had the most fun. A complicated point system accounting for how much pork, pie, ice cream, pie, pancakes, pie, corn and roadside homemade goodies you can eat. Points are awarded for style, ability to laugh at adversity, rain, wind, heat and yourself. Points are lost for complaining about hills, accommodations, internet service, or lines. Disqualification results from rushing through towns, not stopping at the local high school fund raiser, taking part in pace lines, failing to wave as you ride past the locals, not giving high fives to the kids with their arms stretched out and failing to ride right. The winner is always too modest to allow their name to be published.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #421791

Amanda
  • You are right jsm! I never thought of it that way. It is a race~!! :-D

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #422534

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy