RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Standing on the bike

(13 posts) (13 voices)
Started 1 year, 8 months ago ago by Ed Kanitra

Ed Kanitra
  • Hi,
    A am reading a discussion by a group of randonneurs in another forum talk about the need to stand on the pedals to stretch out the body’s muscles. These ultra marathoners suggest doing so about every 1/2 to one hour. It sure makes sense to me. Does anyone do this? I think I want to try to do this more often (especially with my crumby back)

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #413232

jwsknk
  • in a way, lot’s of times on RAGBRAI you will be in the next town after about an hour.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #413322

Tony
  • Randonneurs ride against themselves and the clock. Brevets are from 200km to 1200km. There are shorter forms too. Riders have to be completely self contained. Bikes and riders have to meet equipment specs. There are control stops. Riders can rest/eat at the stops. They must arrive at the stops within a control window. As an example at 200km would have 3 posted and one random control stops. You must get your control stop card signed and stamped. A 200km must be completed in 13.5 hours. With long times in the saddle. Shifting body position greatly helps fatigue. Standing on the pedals helps with lower back issues. Randonneuring is a whole lot different form of riding. For RAGBRAI its short hops. You can stop anywhere. Go as fast or as slow as you want. If you need to stretch. Just stop and get off the bike for a while and have a piece of pie.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #413922

Michrider
  • Tony, I love your logic. “If you need to stretch, just stop and get off the bike for a while and have a piece of pie.”

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #413935

Jack in VA
  • Not if you’re riding a fixie- stretching on it consists of “standing up and pedaling”! It’s all about getting a smooth, even pedaling stroke, whether you’re on the flats, downhill, or climbing – sitting or standing.

I’d still recommend taking your stretches on a freewheeling bike though- it helps stretch out the legs and hips, and feels so good when you sit back down. Kinda like hitting yourself over the head with a cast iron frying pan – it feels SOOO good when you stop!

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #414305

RonB
  • Unless you have a super comfy seat (and I don’t think they exist), any time you get the chance to stand or just take the weight off your seat, do it. Your butt will thank you later! I’m sure I stand and stretch more often than every 30 minutes, but just for a few seconds at a time. Also, I usually atand a little when climbing hills. Although this would certainly not be thought to be resting and stretching, it does relieve the strain/pain in certain muscles! You can stand (actually just take the pressure off your butt) on the downhills too.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #415289

CyclingRoberto
  • My rule of thumb is to stand every 10-15 minutes for about 30 seconds. This helps with blood flow and keeps you from the dreaded “numbness.” I ride a Rolls saddle and it’s comfy. Quality Pearl Izumi bib shorts and Nubutte chamois cream keep me comfortable too. But all that being said, you should relieve the pressure on the perineum and the best way to do that is to stand up!

BTW, this thread reminds me of the guy who did RAGBRAI without a saddle on his bike. Was raising awareness for colon cancer if I recall. Anybody else remember that guy? Mountain bike without a seat. Stood the entire route. Saw him a couple of years.

See you on the road.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #501648

petra
  • I think I saw him or at least the bike last year,

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #501664

SFC JKL2
  • Stop and walk thru every town. 1: You don’t have a choice but to stop and get off your bike in many of the towns. 2: By slowing down, you get a chance to explore. You will find the most memorable things of the week when you least expect it. 3: Support the people who took the time and effort to come out and support you (Ragbrai). Even if you don’t buy anything from them, a little good will goes a long way.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #501667

indianafrank
  • If it feels good to stand up, stand up. If you’re on a fixie, well, that’s your problem. I stand up when I feel like it, sometimes every 15 minutes, sometimes every half hour. There is no rule, as far as I’m concerned, other than do it when you feel like it.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #513648

S
  • It takes forever for me to find it, but there’s a sweet spot in seat height where you can actually be standing on your pedals (not obvious to outside observer) and your butt is just enough off the seat to give it a rest. Once you find that spot, mark it with a marker because invariably someone will adjust it and it will take two years to find it again.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #518023

• Avatar of "Nice Brass" Alicia Rau
    “Nice Brass” Alicia Rau
  • Man without a seat is Bareback, he’s the best (proud to say he’s my friend!). He rides with loads of tubes and tires and stops and helps every flat along the way, all while standing the entire time.
    And yeah, on Ragbrai, most pass through towns get so bottlenecked, you’ll have no choice but to get off the bike and walk, which can be good for a change of position. Some of the pro riders I “try” to keep up with in training taught me to stand regularly when slowing or coasting, just to stretch and get the blood flowing.
    Shoot, almost time to start packing!

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #520027

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy