Join Us in July - Register Today!

Strong legs, tender butt. Suggestions?

I’ve ridden some, but not as much as most of you here.  I’m pretty fit for a 53 year old guy.  70 to 80 miles per day on a nice road bike doesn’t concern me much.  The challenge is that I have spent way too much time in cushy office chairs, and I don’t care much for physical discomfort – especially in certain regions of the body.  Any suggestions for a really comfy saddle – and sorry, I’m not sold on the hard as a rock leather Brooks that you purists prefer.  I’ve heard people rave about them – but it simply doesn’t add up in my mind.  

43 Replies

Dan in Iowa, February 5, 2012 at 10:46 am

There’s no such thing as a truly comfortable saddle.  I have a Brooks too and love it.  RIDE!  It’s the only solution to getting your saddle muscles calloused!

Jboz, February 5, 2012 at 10:49 am

Also, I’m surprised that the word A** gets auto-censored here.  I can understand most other questionable words, but it seems to me that the A-word on a bike forum wouldn’t be used as an obscenity, but rather as a term that’s fairly germane to the general topic of riding a bike nearly 500 miles.

Paul, February 5, 2012 at 11:05 am

You might want to consider going to the dark side and check out some recumbents. No lotions nor potions needed and a good view guaranteed w/o pressure on your hands/wrists/arms.

Tony, February 5, 2012 at 11:19 am

A saddle fitted to your rear and lots saddle time.

RonB, February 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Jboz said: Dumb question – but would I need to get my sit bones measured via the ass-o-meter if I went with the Brooks B-17?  Or would the leather form to my sit bones naturally over time, negating the need for a precise measurement?

Well, I’m no bike fitter, but I don’t think you would need to get measured for a Brooks, or other all leather saddle.  They do mold to your azz.

And to your comment about dropping a few hundred $$, the standard B-17 does not cost nearly that much.  You can find them on line for $75-$85.  Of course if you are going with the titanium/fancy version, then it can get much more expensive.

Ragbrai Nation, February 18, 2012 at 10:14 am

Amanda: My pain is inbetween my shoulders and base of neck.

I’m almost certain there is a remedy for that :D

Anonymous, February 18, 2012 at 11:13 am

don’t forget leather handlebar tape and leather gloves..keeps the grip even when wet

mcpartla, February 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Johnson’s Baby Oil … cheap and does the job!

Toady, February 18, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Brooks doesn’t make saddles in different widths like a lot of makers do. I guess this is because the saddle will conform to your anatomy once it’s broken in.

I would also echo what others have said. A good saddle is very much a matter of individual preference. What works for you may not work for someone else.

Just have to keep trying ’till you find what works. But, as someone else said, a good bike shop should let you return a saddle if it isn’t right for you.

DallasBob, February 19, 2012 at 8:35 am

I’m going to throw my 2 cents in….my experience is that a well fitted bike will make a huge difference in saddle comfort. Improved core strength will improve your ride, and of course saddle time. On mobile right now, so if any of my comments were already mentioned, sorry.

jeffreydennis, February 19, 2012 at 12:31 pm

You are about to discover cycling is more than being “a bit fit”. There really is a mental part to it.

Jboz:
I’ve ridden some, but not as much as most of you here. I’m pretty fit for a 53 year old guy. 70 to 80 miles per day on a nice road bike doesn’t concern me much. The challenge is that I have spent way too much time in cushy office chairs, and I don’t care much for physical discomfort – especially in certain regions of the body. Any suggestions for a really comfy saddle – and sorry, I’m not sold on the hard as a rock leather Brooks that you purists prefer. I’ve heard people rave about them – but it simply doesn’t add up in my mind.

teamKG, February 19, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I have the answer. I have used this seat for about 6 years and have no problems. Even after a century ride. It’s called the Moon Saddle.

http://www.moonsaddle.com/

I will never use a traditional bike seat again!

Ken, February 20, 2012 at 1:37 am

Me too!! MOON SADDLE!! I thought my brother-in-law and I were the only ones last year!

Tony, February 20, 2012 at 3:20 am

I will say it again. Get your bike fitted to you. There are 5 contact points to a bike. Proper geometry of the body to the bike makes a big difference. Both in performance and comfort. There are many youtube videos and websites that explain bike fit. Go to your LBS and have a talk with them about it. Its more about how the saddle is positioned on the bike than the saddle itself. An excellent saddle like a Brooks, Selle, or Fisik are painful. If mounted improperly.

Csprint, March 4, 2012 at 10:23 pm

BillDana:
… They will measure the width of your sit bones. From that measurement you can insure that you are riding the correct width saddle. …
A top end bike shop will allow you to return a saddle that doesn’t work for you.

Trek/Bontrager also a saddle width bench sizer. Based on that their saddles are color coded in at least four road models. Trek has a full 30 day money back guarantee where you can bring the saddle back for a full refund for whatever reason. (I used to sell Trek, don’t anymore, thought it was a good policy).
Corey

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters