Teams makeing the lottery

(15 posts) (10 voices)
Started 1 year, 7 months ago ago by HillsAngels1
Latest reply from Cyfan 1 year, 6 months ago ago

HillsAngels1
  • Just wondering if a team has never made the lottery

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #486963

Davy Sprocket
  • I can’t name one, but I would feel confident in saying that there have been smaller teams, which can consist of just 2 members, have been on the short end of the lottery.

Davy

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #486970

jwsknk
  • been 2-3 over the years that have missed a few but I don’t think that was because a name wasn’t drawn in the lottery but because of something that happened to tick off the people in charge.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #487225

Steve
  • In an online chat with T.J. earlier this year I touched on this topic. The response was that there are a number of teams that have been with RAGBRAI for a very, very long time, and those teams are “guaranteed” to always be accepted as long as they follow the rules. However, newer teams are NOT guaranteed to always get in. I’m far from an expert on this but I’m wondering if the fact the best known teams cannot lose in the lottery might cause a false impression that every team will have the same luck. If the above is accurate the next question is, does a team get in if any one member is selected, which I have heard and which would give an advantage to larger teams? Or is the results of the first member of the team that is run through the process the deciding process for all the other members of the team (which would be more “fair” to everyone else)? All things I would like to know, but I can’t see under the hood.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #487295

Sandaltan
  • I do not remember EVER reading a post on this forum that said something like “my team of 3, 4, 5 (pick a number) was not selected in the lottery and we need “X” number of tickets. Neither have I talked to anyone who told me that their team did not make the lottery.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #487353

gatorboss
  • I think it is pretty unlikely. Teams are by nature organized and thereby provide their own support. They have their own transportation and usually do not camp in the campground so it is a burden off of the Register at the campgrounds and the baggage trucks.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #487461

Davy Sprocket
  • It is pretty well documented that if one team member is selected in the lottery, the entire team gets in as well.

Davy

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #487496

Papa T
  • Think aabout it! If 3 are on a team, they have 3 times the chance of being picked. I agree, the Register could no longer do the ride without teams.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #487788

David Nelson
  • My daughter and I plus a friend are riding this year and we all registered as individuals and not as a team. By looking at these posts our chances in getting wrist bands looks slim. Is that true?
    Also…since I didn’t register as a team our RV driver can’t register as a non-rider. Help!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #491361

jwsknk
  • I think they say a 95% chance of being drawn, plus after the lottery there will be a lot of people on here selling rider & non-rider bands.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #491363

David Nelson
  • Just got off the phone with the RAGBRAI office and they fixed everything. We are in and ready to go. Scott was a big help.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #491364

Sandaltan
  • TJ and his staff are amazing!!! Be sure to look for him and thank him David.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #491494

Davy Sprocket
  • Well the Happy Campers team and the Bloodmobile just registered for the ride again this year and we sure hope we get the golden ticket.

Davy

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #492530

Cyfan
  • Our team has been down to 3 riders that last couple of years and we have made it each year. Once one person is drawn the whole team is in.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #493656

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy