Forums

Forums Categories

Members

"The Beer Town"?

(32 posts) (12 voices)
Started 1 year ago ago by mootsman
Latest reply from Michrider 6 months, 3 weeks ago ago

mootsman
  • I use to be on a team that referred to the last pass-through town of the day big enough for a bar or 2 as “The Beer Town”. Is this just a term that team used or is it RAGBRAI wide?

I recall our daily ride maps had a little beer mug on them to indicate the beer town but that was team specific I’m pretty sure.

Frequently the beer town was the 2nd to last pass-though town and the last pass-through wasn’t big enough. How do I figure that out in advance?

Posted 1 year ago ago #630593

jwsknk
  • must have been a team thing. get ahold of Team brewhaha’s guide or Team Good beer’s, they usually have them ready before the ride and have hard copies the first few days.

Posted 1 year ago ago #630594

Michrider
  • I love the term, “The Beer Town”. That could catch on!!!!

Posted 1 year ago ago #630596

mootsman
  • Then maybe we start an unofficial yearly research project to determine which should be officially “The Beer Town”.

Suggested criteria:

1) no more then 15 miles from the overnight town.
    2) must have at least 2 bars (is there a town in Iowa that doesn’t have at least 2 though anyway?)
    3) must be one of the last 2 towns before the overnight.

We’ll need local help to pic between the last 2 towns. Maybe some contacts on the pre-route inspection ride could help.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Avatar of mootsman mootsman.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Avatar of mootsman mootsman.

Posted 1 year ago ago #630715

gregonline
  • I was under the belief the last town big enough was called “The Party Town”. Just saying……….

Posted 1 year ago ago #630718

mootsman
  • gregonline

That would that imply non-beer drinkers are welcome too which is fine as long as they agree not to “harsh our beer buzz”.

Posted 1 year ago ago #630719

Michrider
  • mootsman: Then maybe we start an unofficial yearly research project to determine which should be officially “The Beer Town”.
    Suggested criteria:
    1) no more then 15 miles from the overnight town.
    2) must have at least 2 bars (is there a town in Iowa that doesn’t have at least 2 though anyway?)
    3) must be one of the last 2 towns before the overnight.
    We’ll need local help to pic between the last 2 towns. Maybe some contacts on the pre-route inspection ride could help.

MM, rule #4; Must have a beer garden with nice Kurbs!!!!

Posted 1 year ago ago #630721

“Bicycle Bill”
  • 2)  Is there any town in Iowa that doesn’t have two bars?

Cooper, Iowa doesn’t have any; and I believe Rippey (the turn-around point for the BRR Ride in February) has only one.

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year ago ago #630722

Michrider
  • Yeah Beebs but we can fix that with an outdoor beer garden!

Posted 1 year ago ago #630725

jwsknk
  • remember Packwood just this past year? yes some towns have 0 bars

Posted 1 year ago ago #630728

Sandaltan
  • I rely on Papa T and Team Brewhaha do the research for me on this subject and they work hard to get it right. Thanks Papa and Team B!!!

RIDE RIGHT (Beware of Team BuzzKill in the last town)

Posted 1 year ago ago #630804

SFC JKL2
  • I’ll second Brewhaha’s beer guide. It has saved us a few times from going into the last town (we use party town) and finding no alcohol.

mootsman- non-drinkers are always welcome. I’m one myself 98% of the time. I drink about 75% of my annual consumption on Ragbrai. (drunk w/guns!) The rest is saved for social functions and sporting events.

Posted 1 year ago ago #630807

mootsman
  • Sandaltan & SFCJKL2,

I think you’re on to something. We just look at the beer guides and publish a thread of the official “The Beer Town” list based on the day’s last pass-through town with bars.

Team Good Beer I think publishes a beer guide also.

Posted 1 year ago ago #631237

Pdiddly
  • It’s time to resurrect this thread because I think we can start making really good guesses at the “BeerTowns” for the ride.

Then after the Ninth we can officially designate them. Whoever guesses the most correct beer towns (according to the Mootsman criteria listed above) wins. What they win is up for discussion as well.

So I’m going to go work on my guesses and get back to you!

Posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago ago #750828

mootsman
  • It looks like Sunday March 9th we’ll get the route details. When I print out the daily ride maps to take on the ride I just draw in a little mug at the Beer Town. Mason City is such a short day though it would be either Clear Lake or Mason City itself. I wonder if the bars will be open that early. Maybe everyone will have to kill time in the 1st pass through town and designate it the “Bloody Mary Town”.

Posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago ago #750835

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy