Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Things to do at overnight towns

(14 posts) (12 voices)
Started 1 year, 11 months ago ago by Todd Buechler
Latest reply from getaclueblue 1 year, 8 months ago ago

Todd Buechler
  • Looking to ride for the first time next year. Could someone tell me what some of the overnight towns have done in the past to “occupy” the riders?

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #429537

Sandaltan
  • If you scroll up to the top and hover “Route and Maps” and then scroll down to 2012 Host Communities and click….you will see links to the web sites of last year’s overnights. Some are still live and you can see what was offered last year.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #429771

knees36
  • Music!!! Bring your dancin’ shoes plus there’s always a host of other kinds of entertainment.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #429792

Jack in VA
  • After I get my test set up, showered, and fed, I like to just do some walking around to help loosen up the legs from a hard days riding. Make sure to rehydrate (fluid of choice is any “non-domestic” brand of your choice which is never available at any of the RAGBRAI sanctioned events like a beer garden. Never pass up an opportunity to talk with any of the “locals” from the town you’re a guest in – they have been working for months in preparation for your overnight visit, and just a few moments of conversation can be the beginning of a lifetime of friendships. There are several people I’ve met over the years that I still keep in touch with via email and Christmas Cards, not to mention meeting with them during later years when we come through the same town again.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #430158

ts
  • Think outside the box a little. Go swimming – most of the towns have community pools, and a swim is a great way to beat the heat. It also doubles as a shower (shower *before* you get in the pool). Walk around the downtown area and visit the stores and shops. Catch a movie (another great way to beat the hear). Go to a local restaurant – most people eat at the vendor stands so it’s often surprisingly easy to get a seat at a nice restaurant. Of course, many of the “inside the box” things like the church dinners, beer gardens, and concerts are fun also.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #431245

tjdale
  • Eat, rest, nap, drink, swap stories, tell lies, visit the local museum, people watch, watch the night time street entertainment, shower, swim, take photos, try to see how many new team buses you can spot, visit RAGBRAI friends in other camps, swing on the playground swings, throw a frisbee, take in the towns architecture, visit the bike shop venders, talk to the politicians,try to find the coolest spot to rest while you charge your cell phone, etc, etc, etc………….never enough time to do it all!

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #432734

Michrider
  • Don’t forget standing in the shower line, the food line, the beer line, and last buy not least, the Kybo line!!!!!!

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #433171

jwsknk
  • and you might be surprised just how long some of those basic things take, find a place & put up your tent, go shower, go eat and you might have just spent 2 hours, unless you use the town shuttle, then it could be 3 :-) But what everyong said, if you are looking to get out of the weather, a movie, the library where you may be able to recharge other batteries too, the pool if it’s hot, the mainstage entertainment or a local band in a smaller venue. there was a really good local band in a beer garden a couple blocks forn the downtown stage in one town a few years backwe thought better than the main one and a lot less crowded.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #433413

Greg I-Fly-Sky
  • Once I arrived at the next overnight town, my usual routine was:
    - find some shade, sit down and relax for a while (usually wrapping my head in a hand towel soaked in cold ice water. That REALLY gets the body temp back down after a hot day of riding.
    - Get the luggage situation sorted out.
    - A little more time with the cold towel on the head or swimming pool when available.
    - some massage time (could usually catch 5-10 minutes of snooze here)
    - find something to eat (high protein oriented) and more water
    - nap
    - second round of food (carb loaded and healthy)
    - go have some beer, margarita, moonshine, what ever the choice was for good beverage
    - almost always asleep before 9:30 (sorry, not a partier and my group was usually on the road between 6:30-7am)

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #435359

Pdiddly
  • Check out the local church dinners. Then hit the beer tent for music and, you guessed it, beer!

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #484951

Pdiddly
  • Oh yea, shower, swim, set up camp all that stuff too! LOL

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #484952

SFC JKL2
  • Eat great food and drink beer (just like in every other town you go thru all day.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #485085

getaclueblue
  • Ride thru the water sprayers that people setup for riders.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago ago #485159

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy