RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Time to schedule vacation time, other rides?

(10 posts) (8 voices)
Started 1 year, 11 months ago ago by Greg I-Fly-Sky
Latest reply from KittySlayer 1 year, 11 months ago ago

Greg I-Fly-Sky
  • Taking the week off for RAGBRAI is a plan that I’ve pretty much laid in stone already, as much as one can when they are in the process of changing jobs too.
    2012 was my first RAGBRAI and while it was fairly challenging, I’d also like to do another organized bike ride. I was thinking about Ride the Rockies. It sounds like a good test of one’s abilities. I was looking at their website and they don’t have a forum at all, unlike the well-organized RAGBRAI site. Anyone reading this done it before? able to give some recommendations? just in general tell me your thoughts of what you think of your experience?

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #433671

Bartaped
  • RTR is a lottery and all rides in Colorado are capped at 2500 riders. You might get in you might not. I have not done RTR but have done 3 Bicycle Tour of Colorado and 2 Pedal the peaks( No longer done). These are just sign-up Rides. BTC is the week before RTR every year and a loop ride as where RTR is point to point most years. Down fall there is having to go back and get your vehicle at the start point. No shuttles provided. I liked the BTC ride, seemed like more dedicated riders and alittle safer riders. Here is the link to BTC………… http://www.bicycletourcolorado.com .

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #433754

Bartaped
  • Check into Bicycle Tour of Colorado………..I like it better.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #433755

Clayhill
  • There is a new ride this year, Cycle Greater Yellowstone. http://cyclegreateryellowstone.com/

It is in the third week of August, spectacular views. Last day goes up and down Beartooth Pass and it is a BEAR! There’s a YouTube video of the ride down Beartooth Pass that will amaze you since the video covers about 10 miles or so. The guys pass a couple of cars!

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #433756

jwsknk
  • couple years ago RAGBRAI had more total climb for the week than RTR

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #434686

mootsman
  • The Bicycle Tour of Colorado this year has a pass (Kebler) that has 26 miles on a dirt road. Not bad if its dry but real ugly if its wet. The paved alternative ride that day is 111 miles.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #434692

Clayhill
  • Here is one of the videos about which I posted. It is for the middle third (hey man – only one third!) of the downhill descent on Beartooth Pass in Montana. That will be on the last day of the new ride, Cycle Greater Yellowstone (you can easily find it on the internet). WATCH THIS VIDEO. Unreal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIqoTsm0izw&feature=plcp

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #435223

lgriffin
  • The second longest running multi-day cross state ride is in Oklahoma every year with number 35 happening in 2013. Set your schedule for the second full week of June and we’ll be going from south to north, sometimes starting in North Texas but always ending in either Kansas or Missouri. It typically averages about 65 miles per day. Since we stay in smaller towns every night we limit it to 850 riders. Each day’s route will have many surprises along the way and many of the overnights have entertainment setup in the evenings.

There are plenty of places to stop along the way but we do provide at least 2 rest stops (free) plus a lunch stop (minimal cost) each day. In addition if you don’t have family or team support you can throw your luggage on our truck each day.

It’s a laid back ride but since I have driven the Team Crude bus for about 5 years we try to bring a little more of a party atmosphere.

And yes, there are hills in Oklahoma. Depending on the route there are some pretty tough, hilly days and others are not nearly as hilly. Some days have rollers, some have tough long climbs. Some years we’ve had as much as 18,000 to more than 20,000 feet of climb for the week making it seem like there isn’t a flat spot in the entire state.

Our route announcement will occur in the middle of January and be on the website the next day.

Go to http://www.okfreewheel.com for more information or stop by our booth at the Iowa Bicycle Expo in January in Des Moines.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #435404

KittySlayer
  • Greg I-Fly-Sky: I was thinking about Ride the Rockies. It sounds like a good test of one’s abilities.

My wife, son and I have done both Ride the Rockies and Bicycle Tour of Colorado. Our preference is RTR. We are pretty low maintenance riders, feed us and get our bags to the next overnight and we are happy. RTR overall seemed to be better organized and supported. There were more vendors (bike companies and food) following along on RTR.

As far as either RTR or BTC testing one’s abilities I found both rides similar in effort. Being from the flatlands of northern Indiana we were not quite sure what to expect from Colorado but once there found it very rideable. I found the climbs similar to a heavy headwind on a false flat. Challenging and long but until you hit that last little steap peak at the summit of the climb not too bad. We have done both on singles and tandems and never ran out of gears or legs.

Some recent weeklong tours that we would do again would be Bon Ton Roulet in the Finger Lakes of New York. A very pleasant setting with plenty of winery stops each day. Well organized and good food. We also enjoyed riding the Shoreline of Michigan. Once again, well organized, the food was not quite as good, but filling and appropriate for a tour. Both rides are around 500 riders in size.

If you want to test your abilities there is always Texas Hell Week with plenty of early season miles to be ridden.

None of the rides we have done compare to the spectical of RAGBRAI.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #437462

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy