The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Trails?

Looking at Google Maps there seems to be a trail running from Perry to Minburn, Dallas Ctr, and Waukee. Yes? Any information out there?

9 Replies

Profile photo of Joel
Joel Taylor, March 10, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Raccoon River Valley Trail. That section is completed, but won’t be officially open and the maps updated until June 1st’s Grand Opening Ceremony.

There’s a day-use or annual fee ($2 for the day). The route also passes the RRVT section that parallels Hwy 6.

http://www.raccoonrivervalleytrail.org

From Waukee you can head east onto the Clive and DSM/WDM bike trails and lanes.

I’m debating if I want to ditch the route at some point and take the trail to my apartment before heading on to meet up with my team. Probably won’t decide until that day.

Profile photo of Joel
Joel Taylor, March 10, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Day 2 you could also take the trail from Yale to Perry.

Profile photo of jim
jwsknk, March 11, 2013 at 8:28 am

depending on your DM campsite, could take trail all the way in. I see 3 routes that day, the official one, the RRVT one and I hear of a off route goint to woodward to pick up the High Trestle Trail and taking that into Ankeny then over to Neil Smith/Saylorville Trail into DM.

Profile photo of jim
jwsknk, March 11, 2013 at 8:32 am

Going into Pella there is also a trail from the Red Rock dam into town but it’s been years and years sine I have done that trail so couldnt tell you the pros/cons on that one.

Profile photo of WILLIAM
Sandaltan, March 11, 2013 at 8:44 am

http://raccoonrivervalleytrail.org/ An excellent trail. http://www.dsmbikecollective.org/ More trails.

RIDE RIGHT

Profile photo of daninboulder
daninboulder, March 11, 2013 at 10:24 am

bramasoleiowa: I’m debating if I want to ditch the route at some point and take the trail to my apartment before heading on to meet up with my team. Probably won’t decide until that day.

I’m thinking the exact same thing. I’ll be staying at Clive Suites right on the RRVT. I’ll def. stop and grab a shower.

Mixing the Trail and the Route is fun, I did that when RAGBRAI overnighted in Jefferson. There was alot of activities and folks on the Trail that day

Profile photo of lisa o
lisa o, March 11, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Similar question … is there a more direct/safe route/trail from knoxville to oskaloosa?

Profile photo of jim
jwsknk, March 12, 2013 at 8:08 am

could probably cut off about10 miles by not going all the way to Pella, I think it’s T15 you could go straight on instead of turning north and go a couple miles before meeting up with the southbound route on T17,but it’s a pretty short day and if you have never been to Pella it’s worth at least 1 visit.

Profile photo of tjdale
tjdale, March 13, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Sandaltan,
Thanks for the links to trails. Lots of good information there. Will have to give trail riding a try this year.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLI – 2013’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013

Training

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Gatherings & Meetings

RAGBRAI XL – 2012