RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Trails?

(10 posts) (6 voices)
Started 1 year, 4 months ago ago by tjdale
Latest reply from tjdale 1 year, 4 months ago ago

tjdale
  • Looking at Google Maps there seems to be a trail running from Perry to Minburn, Dallas Ctr, and Waukee. Yes? Any information out there?

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #482539

bramasoleiowa
  • Raccoon River Valley Trail. That section is completed, but won’t be officially open and the maps updated until June 1st’s Grand Opening Ceremony.

There’s a day-use or annual fee ($2 for the day). The route also passes the RRVT section that parallels Hwy 6.

http://www.raccoonrivervalleytrail.org

From Waukee you can head east onto the Clive and DSM/WDM bike trails and lanes.

I’m debating if I want to ditch the route at some point and take the trail to my apartment before heading on to meet up with my team. Probably won’t decide until that day.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #482540

bramasoleiowa
  • Day 2 you could also take the trail from Yale to Perry.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #482541

jwsknk
  • depending on your DM campsite, could take trail all the way in. I see 3 routes that day, the official one, the RRVT one and I hear of a off route goint to woodward to pick up the High Trestle Trail and taking that into Ankeny then over to Neil Smith/Saylorville Trail into DM.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #482724

jwsknk
  • Going into Pella there is also a trail from the Red Rock dam into town but it’s been years and years sine I have done that trail so couldnt tell you the pros/cons on that one.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #482725

daninboulder
  • bramasoleiowa: I’m debating if I want to ditch the route at some point and take the trail to my apartment before heading on to meet up with my team. Probably won’t decide until that day.

I’m thinking the exact same thing. I’ll be staying at Clive Suites right on the RRVT. I’ll def. stop and grab a shower.

Mixing the Trail and the Route is fun, I did that when RAGBRAI overnighted in Jefferson. There was alot of activities and folks on the Trail that day

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #482755

lisa o
  • Similar question … is there a more direct/safe route/trail from knoxville to oskaloosa?

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #482845

jwsknk
  • could probably cut off about10 miles by not going all the way to Pella, I think it’s T15 you could go straight on instead of turning north and go a couple miles before meeting up with the southbound route on T17,but it’s a pretty short day and if you have never been to Pella it’s worth at least 1 visit.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #483232

tjdale
  • Sandaltan,
    Thanks for the links to trails. Lots of good information there. Will have to give trail riding a try this year.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #484232

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy