Forums

Forums Categories

Members

training hampered by rain anyone else

(64 posts) (26 voices)
Started 1 year, 5 months ago ago by ramblingman
Latest reply from CyclingRoberto 1 year, 2 months ago ago

ramblingman
  • April showers bring may flowers but no time for training i guess if i was kayaking across iowa i would be set i think i have logged more miles in my kayak this month than my bike lol

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498071

drgeorge1
  • Between really cold weather in the mornings when I have tome to ride (teach evening graduate classes) and rain I am about 400 miles behind schedule….thank god for the indoor stationary recumbent.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498074

jwsknk
  • if there is any silver lining in this, maybe just maybe it be such a blast furnace the last week of July this year. I know still 3 months away but last year temps were running well above average and this year a little below.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498597

CyclingRoberto
  • First, rain won’t hurt you or your bike, so get off the trainer and get some real miles. Second, it will be HOT not matter how much you dream otherwise.

I rode 27 miles in 50′s temps in the rain yesterday. 3500 miles so far this year, and I live in Pennsylvania.

See you on the road.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498598

Sandaltan
  • Now we don’t roll out of the driveway if it is raining but neither do we not ride if rain is in the forecast. We have fenders and rain jackets so let it rain, we have been rained on about three or four times this year, no big deal, it sometimes brings a smile to our faces.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498600

trek15rider
  • Once again everyone has differing opinions, but as for me I ride for enjoyment (as well as the many other benefits that accompany riding) and I DON’T like riding in the rain! I’ve done it but if given the choice I’ll choose NOT. Nothing wrong with training miles, just not as much fun. :)

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498602

Cyfan
  • I don’t mind riding in the rain when it is 70 degrees or above and I have ridden in temps close to 32 degrees but withe the temps below 40 and rain I stick to my stationary bike indoors. If the current forecast holds I will be riding outdoors tomorrow morning.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498609

Amanda
  • We have almost 5 inches of snow . . I do not ride in the snow. I do not ride if it’s under 50 degrees. That how I roll. If it’s not fun riding, I don’t do it. That’s how the Princess trains and it woks for me!! :wink:

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498612

KC
  • I’ll ride in rain if I have to, but I’d rather not. Riding a bike on public streets can be dangerous enough without rain (Georgia drivers are bad enough when it’s not raining) – I don’t really see the need to increase those dangers by doing so in the rain.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498628

Michrider
  • Amanda said: “We have almost 5 inches of snow . . I do not ride in the snow. I do not ride if it’s under 50 degrees. That how I roll. If it’s not fun riding, I don’t do it. That’s how the Princess trains and it woks for me!! :wink:”

To my friend Princess Amanda, I love your attitude!!!!

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498633

“Bicycle Bill”
  • Train in the rain — at least a little bit.  You have no control over the weather during the week of RAGBRAI, and there’s always the possibility of a rerun of “Soggy Monday”.  Heck, there’s even the chance of an entire *WEEK* like Soggy Monday!

Besides, with the exception of the Princess, there’s no one on this board that is sweet (or salty) enough that they are going to melt if they get wet.

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498634

Cyfan
  • “Bicycle Bill”: Besides, with the exception of the Princess, there’s no one on this board that is sweet (or salty) enough that they are going to melt if they get wet.

BB I am an old sailor so I am salty enough that I melt in the rain.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498714

CyclingRoberto
  • Did it ever dawn on some of you fair weather riders that somebody else might enjoy foul weather, even savor the idea of going out when nobody else ventures out to enjoy the elements? Fine if you prefer sunshine and warm temps, but for me it’s about the bicycle, moving from place to place, mileage in whatever nature throws my way.

Most people in the world use bicycles for transportation. Weather isn’t a factor.

See you on the road.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498715

KC
  • When it rains, I’m glad I own a car and don’t need to use a bicycle for transportation. I’d rather try to impress people with my dry clothes than my biking prowess, I guess.

Good advise, Bill. I will consider making an effort to find a safe place to ride my bike in inclement weather. The streets here are simply too dangerous to purposely make me get off my trainer when it’s raining, but maybe a trail somewhere will allow me to cycle safely in the rain. Fortunately, I think I get caught enough in the rain as it is that I’m at least prepared for it.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #498717

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy