Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Vendor Ideas?

(32 posts) (24 voices)
Started 1 year, 10 months ago ago by Tish
Latest reply from buttercupdog 1 year, 9 months ago ago

Tish
  • We are looking at setting up along with route between Fairfield and Fort Madison and am curious as to what you like to see as a vendor set up? These will be young kids raising money for our PTO organization. We have heard BLTs and hard boiled eggs… What else? We plan on having ice and water available for riders and though many have said “Oh you should have beer”, reality is these are kids who will be selling/serving the riders.

So my question is, what would you like to see? Help us help you

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475454

jwsknk
  • something you can do fast on the last day people are in more of a hurry and bypass long lines. Which end are you closer to, early for breakfast or later lunch?

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475467

kmethling
  • Tish,

PBJ and chocolate milk is always a winner with some pretzels / potato chips or any other salty snack!

K

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475468

Tish
  • We are split right in the middle, but prepared to be there at sunrise if not before hand for riders and then there through lunch also. Thank you K. Salty snacks are now in the folder of notes. Had no clue chocolate milk was a winner

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475469

petra
  • You mentioned ice and water. These are always good especially ice. Last year one stand had fruit kabobs. These were really great! Good luck.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475470

jwsknk
  • choc milk is said to be a good recovery drink, pbj could go fast once you get into a rhythm and left overs are easier to deal with, the hard boiled eggs on sticks did go over well last time too. fruit cups possible, one place had a make your own fruit cup statand, the gave you the cup and kept busy cutting up and refilling the trays, that way I could avoid the bananas. pies always sell too, any local specials?

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475471

jwsknk
  • mich, mich, mich, they are kids, no barley pop there from them at least. :roll: :)

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475505

Lawrence
  • This is a hard question.
    Depends on alot of variables.
    You say “right in the middle” – yet how close the the days “meeting town” will it be? (we don’t know yet)
    Are you in a town where there will be other vendors? or will you be just set up along the roadside with no other vendors nearby?

IF YOU ARE ALONG THE ROAD, MAKE SURE IT IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE…. people will not usually stop on the left.

Hardboiled eggs on a stick sounds like a winner – IF early in the day.
    Gatorade all hours of the day.
    BLT sounds good to me…. If you are late enough to be a lunch stop.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475518

tjdale
  • I always stop for chocolate milk and usually for water melon. Being a vendor on the last day is tough as some folks have already called it quits while others need to get to the end to pack up for the long drive home. And if the weather is bad, your chances of raising any money get worse.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475521

Michrider
  • jwsknk: mich, mich, mich, they are kids, no barley pop there from them at least. :roll: :)

OOPPS!!! Sorry, I did not read the kids part!!!!

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475531

Tsnap Xip
  • This is a “strange” RAGBRAI. Last day is one of the longest. The charters are always in a hurry to get everyone out of there on the last day. Whatever you sell, its got to be FAST.

Set up the sales side of things efficiently. Don’t make the riders wait for little johnny to make change. Let multiple adults take money and make change. The faster you are, the more sales you’ll get.

Chocolate Milk, Bananas, Sweet Rolls (easy to carry, no waste), Water, Gatorade (but not a lot).

Just think FAST. Get your riders in and out quickly. Thanks.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475593

Sandaltan
  • A good size frozen fruit cup for two bucks is quick to serve and will sell about any time of the day.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475597

bikejohnston
  • as for the part about getting riders out fast, price things at an even $. I dont want to deal with change. I’ll throw a buck at you and move on quickly. Bananas are always easy, nice to have and can eat anytime of the day. sell those for $1. Watermelon slices, that kind of thing.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475604

Ed Kanitra
  • a BLT would make me stop!

In addition to that 2 things that popped into my head, was bananas, and (if you can get it at a good price) sports drinks.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475722

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy