Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Video Camers

(7 posts) (7 voices)
Started 1 year, 4 months ago ago by Ed Kanitra
Latest reply from Tony 1 year, 4 months ago ago

Ed Kanitra
  • I was thinking about buying a GoPro White to bring to RAGBRAI. I was wondering if any of you have used this and hearing your reviews on it. Also if someone has a camera in the same price range that like I’d like to hear your comments.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #501980

Steve
  • Amazon has inexpensive handlebar and helmet mounts for a regular compact camera. Although GoPro has some nice features (mainly waterproof & image stabilization) you don’t need to spend that much.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #501982

Pdiddly
  • EK,

I use a Drift HD and like it. The Go Pro is also an excellent unit. You will need extra batteries or an external battery pack if you plan to shoot all day during the ride. Whichever one you get play with the resolution when you record. I have found the hi res (1080p) setting creates huge files while the lower settings (720) create video of good clarity but smaller file sizes allowing you to film all day w/o filling a 32gb sd card.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #501984

CyclingRoberto
  • As much I love RAGBRAI, I couldn’t think of anything more boring than a video of the ride. Remember, you’re riding hours a day, so unless video editing is your thing, most of what you record will be redundant.

My son owns 3 GoPro’s, including the 3. Great cameras. But limited to time recorded. You will need extra memory cards for sure.

See you on the road.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #501985

Browner
  • Our team has a GoPro Hero 1 and a Hero 2 that we took last year. The Hero 1 we used as a Point and Shoot for team pics in towns and other short clips.

The Hero 2 I mounted on the back of my bike and set it to take photos every 60 seconds for random shots during the ride. Out of several hundred photos, only a few were worth saving. Most were of people I did not know, or the shot was out of focus, or there was just nothing interesting in it. As an FYI, the battery life for timed photos is exactly the same as for continuous video. I had hoped photos would extend the battery life, but all it really does is save a still image once every 60 seconds instead of saving the entire video. So your going to need multiple batteries and battery BackPac doors to get through an entire day of recording, plus several video cards.

I also have a Contour+ 2 which is in the same price range and has similar features, with the addition of GPS tagging. I have not used it yet so can’t say how it compares to the GoPro. I do know the photo mode works just like the GoPro and won’t extend battery life anymore than just shooting video. The contour is a smaller, sleeker design. And the lens rotates, so it makes mounting and aligning the image much easier than the GoPro. But the GoPro does have a lot more mounting options.

The GoPro, Contour and Drift are all good cameras.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #501998

Clayhill
  • Cycling Roberto is right. Video is generally boring. Home movies on steroids. I was forced to endure my friends underwater video from our scuba trips. Think – hour of bubbling noise with periodic glimpses of angel fish and moray eels.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #502168

Tony
  • Ed I have been a commercial Broadcast Engineer for +30 years. The GoPro is the live action camera of choice by broadcasters. It has excellent optics and electronic gyro stabilization. Because of all the mounting options available. You can mount it on about anything. It is also very durable. My station has 2 of them. Our photogs love them for action and beauty shots. You will want to get extra micro SD cards (Tflash). I would get at least one for each day. Or a means to dump the flash drive to a mass storage device. Make sure you only use SDHC or SDXC cards. These are high capacity and have fast data rates needed for HD video. The more you shoot. The more raw video you have to select from when editing. Its the editing process that will make your video interesting or boring. There is also allot of confusion about frame rates, resolution and storage capacities for amateur videographers. If you want some further suggestions PM me and I’ll give you some pointers and recommend editing software.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #502182

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy