Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Virgins unite!

(39 posts) (28 voices)
Started 1 year, 10 months ago ago by Ed Kanitra
Latest reply from lisa o 1 year, 6 months ago ago

Ed Kanitra
  • Any other RAGBRAI virgins here?
    Are you as excited as I am? (If you are friend me on FB)
    I am obsessed with the thought of RAGBRAI this summer. Since it is highly unlikely that I will be able to get a vacation for the time of the ride, I’ll have to save up all my sick and personal days for RAGBRAI. For the record, I usually use all 10 up by May! LOL

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #401940

Here4TheRide
  • I’m right there with you, Ed. I’m more jazzed about this ride than I can tell you!

I’ve wanted to do RAGBRAI since first hearing about it, nearly 20 years ago. But life and its many complications (not to mention my own laziness) always seemed to get in the way.

But not this year! I bought a roller trainer, I’m riding in my attic most every day, and I’m determined to be fully prepared and young-buck-strong by mid-July. Viva los Virgins! :)

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #410279

Michrider
  • Welcome to the RAGBRAI Party! It’s habit forming!!!! :)

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #410280

daveflyer
  • In 2005 my eldest son and I rode RAGBRAI to see what it is like. We have not missed a year since. Enjoy the year of anticipation, and the wonder of RAGBRAI will keep you going through the winter of 2013/2014.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #413941

Amanda
  • The first year I rode was 1999. I said NEVER AGAIN. Well I have gone every year since . .it is addicting! :)

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #414024

Jack in VA
  • My 1st was in “97 – it was disgustingly HOT all week long but I still had the best time of my life. On the bus ride back to Des Moines at the end, I just totally lost it; all of that energy and excitement of the past week was suddenly over- just like someone turned the switch OFF. I knew at that moment I would be back the next year. Other than 2011 (because of work) I’ve been there for the last 13 rides, and as long as my legs are still beneath my butt, I’ll plan on being there till I take the dirt nap. I hope to see YOU there too Ed!

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #414339

Ed Kanitra
  • What is sad is that I KNOW that I will enjoy myself, but I worry about finding the time of to ride another year. To ride this year I am going to have to use all my sick and personal days. Saving them that long is going to take a Herculean effort on my part. 21 years on the job and I am only 1/2 way up the seniority list, which means a summer vacation is impossible to get.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #418097

Greg I-Fly-Sky
  • 2012 was my first year. I had friends who have tried to get me to do it for several years and I did not jump at it until just this past year. I feel like I cheated myself out of years of fun now. It is painstakingly hard at times with the heat and humidity but WOW WAS IT FUN! Hope my shoulder injury heals in time for me to do it again.
    I know what you mean with the vacation time. It will be worth the struggle.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #424423

Greg I-Fly-Sky
  • 2012 was my first year. I had friends who have tried to get me to do it for several years and I did not jump at it until just this past year. I feel like I cheated myself out of a lot of fun now. It is painstakingly hard at times with the heat and humidity but WOW WAS IT FUN! Hope my shoulder injury heals in time for me to do it again.
    I changed jobs this past year so I know what you are feeling when it comes to scheduling the time off, it’s worth the struggles.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #424427

Pdiddly
  • 2012 was my first as well. It was sooooo hot/humid. Despite that, I can’t wait to do it again this year. I’m taking my time this year and eating more pie. Just bring plenty of chamois lube and advil! :mrgreen:

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #472221

Bagtown
  • I’m in for the first time also. I’ve never been on as a rider, just a driver about 15 years ago. I’m or will be ready.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #472625

Jboz
  • I was a Virgin last year – class of ’12. That was a heck of a year to get deflowered :wink: ! I’m definitely back in for XLI. The beer, the pork, the cornfields, the music, the people and of course the riding. Can’t wait! And I guess I’m lucky with vacation time – I get 23 vacation days per year and can take them whenever I want. RAGBRAI automatically gets allotted 5 of those 23 days!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #472635

“Bicycle Bill”
  • My last full year on RAGBRAI was 1998.  Given that the ride has changed so much in the last ten to fifteen years or so, if I were to show up again this year would I be a “born-again virgin”?

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #472660

Bill Penland
  • RAGBRAI virgin here also, making my first ride this year. I cannot TELL you how excited/pumped I am.

I think that the easier route this year, which apparently is to the chagrin of many, will bring out a bigger virgin class this year than most years. But I’d already decided I was going to do it well before the route announcement – 406 miles or 606 miles! :)

Looking super forward to it…and a quick hello to everyone here, I’ve been lurking in the forums for a little while & finally signed up today…

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #472775

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy