Forums Categories

• Categories

• Topics

Members

What Bike Do You Have?

(60 posts) (42 voices)
Started 2 months, 3 weeks ago by jpclark7
Latest reply from Alan_50501 2 months ago

This topic contains 59 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alan Alan_50501 2 months ago.

I’m very interested in seeing what kinds of bikes people ride, RAGBRAI or not. Please give specifics (type of bike, material, groupset, why you chose it, and other details).

• Profile photo of Michrider
    Michrider !!!
  • brian wallenburg: I agree RAGBRAI isn’t a racing event, that being said, I usually cook right along between towns. Spend to much time in the saddle your butt starts hurting and no one needs that! ….and you have to be in the overnight town to find some good grub before it’s gone.

Brian has some good points! That’s why I never pass up a chance to eat, beef and/or pie!!!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Michrider Michrider !!!.

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1229271

• Profile photo of Bruce
    Bruce Woodrow
  • Greenspeed GTO Recumbent Trike (tadpole). Purchased used last summer (2016) and I am enjoying cycling again.

I just turned 65 and will be riding in my first RAGRAI this year.

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1229349

• Profile photo of Kyle
    Kyle Durlam
  • I live in Denver, am 51, and a long-time year-round commuter and have done so for the last three years on an SE Bikes Lager single speed. About two years ago I flip-flopped from the freewheel to fixed gear and have loved every minute of it. I’ve never felt so connected to the road. This is what I’m doing RAGBRAI on this year.

For modifications, I replaced the stock stem with a Ritchey Comp stem that’s shorter and has more rise to it; I ditched the 700×32 Thickslicks in favor of 700×25 Continental Gatorskins; I got rid of the wide, straight handle bars and now ride narrower bullhorns on each side of which I slid two Cult Vans flangeless grips (very cushy, but not crazy thick). I plan to finally upgrade the saddle soon, so I appreciate the comments in this string regarding saddles.

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1229811

• Profile photo of Mark
    Mark Bundick
  • I ride an “old school” bike, a Trek 520. A steel touring bike that’s built like a tank and rides like your grandfather’s 1970 vintage Cadillac. It’s perfect for my 62 year old body.

Unlike my riding partner KenH, my Brooks B17 has been a godsend, once the first 350 mile break in was done. It’s now perfectly conformed to my butt, and apparently I’m not sitting on any of its rivets!

I’ve also come to believe it’s not the bike that makes the difference, but the quality and quantity of your training. More training = easier RAGBRAI across Iowa!

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1229873

• Profile photo of brian
    brian wallenburg
  • I’ve also come to believe it’s not the bike that makes the difference, but the quality and quantity of your training. More training = easier RAGBRAI across Iowa!

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1229891

Michrider !!!
  • Bruce Woodrow: Greenspeed GTO Recumbent Trike (tadpole). Purchased used last summer (2016) and I am enjoying cycling again.
    I just turned 65 and will be riding in my first RAGRAI this year.

I just bought mine last week.
    null

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1230390

• Profile photo of WILLIAM
    Sandaltan
  • Congratulations on the new Catrike 559 Michrider! Has Beverly made you sleep in the garage with it or has she accepted the new girl? Important advice follows: don’t ride it even around the block without clipping in. If your foot slips off those block pedals and gets sucked under the cross arms it will be snap…crackle and pop goes the ankle. The same goes for anyone who wants to just take it for a little trip up and down the street.

RIDE RIGHT and see ya in July

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1230779

• Profile photo of Kevin
    Gypsy Rose

This was my first RAGBRAI ride back in 1980. I bought that Dawes Galaxy as a freshman in high school and still have it today. That’s my daughter, Desiree, on her first RAGBRAI at age 14 months.

XC ride

Above, is my touring bike. I built it up around a frame that was made by Steven Woodrup in Leeds, England, back in the early 80’s. Campy Record and other random stuff not normally found on a touring bike, but it has served me very well for many, many thousand miles. The photo was taken as I dipped my wheels in the Atlantic at the end of my first transcontinental ride. I’m thinking of riding that bike this year at RAGBRAI, and am planning on taking it X-C at least one more time.

Trek Portland

Above is the Trek Portland that I’ve ridden for the past half dozen RAGBRAI’s.

Ogre

This is the bike (above) that I ride “around town”. In the town where I live (in rural Vermont), more than 90% of the roads are dirt, averaging about 1000 feet of climbing for every 10 miles traveled.

Cheers,
    ~ Kevin

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1230787

Michrider !!!
  • Sandaltan: Congratulations on the new Catrike 559 Michrider! Has Beverly made you sleep in the garage with it or has she accepted the new girl? Important advice follows: don’t ride it even around the block without clipping in. If your foot slips off those block pedals and gets sucked under the cross arms it will be snap…crackle and pop goes the ankle. The same goes for anyone who wants to just take it for a little trip up and down the street.

Thanks ST, I will remember that!!! I don’t have any legs to spare, LOL!!! BTW, RAGBRAI, and especially Beverly, don’t care!!!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Michrider Michrider !!!.

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1230837

• Profile photo of Doug
    soianewlee
  • 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite. It’s still bone stock with Shimano Tiagra groupset. I’ve added a Topeak trunk bag and rack for Ragbrai.

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1235129

• Profile photo of Cory
    Cory Rood
  • Right now I’ve got a 2014 Trek CrossRip and a 2016 Salsa Mukluk. After buying the Mukluk this last fall and experiencing hyd. disc brakes I’m trying to figure out how I can fund a Domane ALR 4 Disc. Either the Domane or CrossRip will be my RAGBRAI ride.

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1235132

• Profile photo of Curtis
    Curtis Moore
  • I’m trying to decide between my 2013 Orbea Orca Gold (carbon) or my 1986 Bradley custom built (steel). Both could do the job but the Orbea is already set up for long rides while I’d have to make adjustments on the Bradley since I currently use it as a commuting bike. During my training this spring I’ll be riding them both and make a decision by May.

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1235385

• Profile photo of Mike
    murphymp
  • I will be riding my Cervelo S-5 with Zipp wheels. Does someone need an all carbon bike and wheels to do the ride? No but it is cool if you do. Profile pic is me holding up my bike at the finish of Ragbrai.

Posted 2 months, 1 week ago ago #1235555

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy