active 1 minute ago
  • Profile picture of Lauri
    active 2 minutes ago
  • Profile picture of dan
    active 3 minutes ago

What Bike Do You Have?

(60 posts) (42 voices)
Started 2 weeks, 4 days ago by jpclark7

This topic contains 59 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alan Alan_50501 10 hours, 13 minutes ago.

I’m very interested in seeing what kinds of bikes people ride, RAGBRAI or not. Please give specifics (type of bike, material, groupset, why you chose it, and other details).

• Profile photo of lawrence
    knees36
  • I’m working on going “retro” this year by rebuilding my old Trek 728 touring bike….friction shifting, pedals with the old toe clips, granny gearing, 6 speed freewheel, etc., “the works.” It needs a paint job as well, but maybe I’ll get that done next year. Hoping to ride it to the starting town, Orange City, as a way to be sure it’s working well and to get in the mood. Hope to see you all on the road.

Posted 4 days, 23 hours ago ago #1235896

• Profile photo of WILLIAM
    Sandaltan
  • Keep us informed of your progress with that bike knees36, maybe a photo later. Are there a group of Dodgers riding to the start?

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 4 days, 14 hours ago ago #1236016

knees36
  • Hi ST. Working on my special Trek 728 (original) cable housings for the derailluers (sp) right now. More on that toward the end of the week. I’d lay odds that one of our bikers will leave his home in Duncombe on the Saturday before RAGBRAI starts and ride straight through to Orange City and then climb on his bike to speed on to Spencer the next morning. (By way of comparison I usually load up my bike with tent, clothing, etc., and take three days to ride out to the starting town.) He’s been doing his one day’s ride to the start town for years AND he’ll probably work on getting centuries in for a few days of this year’s ride as is his tradition of doing RAGBRAI. We also have a possible new rider, a young lady who works for my optometrist here in Dodge who is thinking about doing the first day of RAG and to see if she really likes our famous Iowa ride. She appears to be very new and a wee bit scared to doing this type of riding so please (riders) say a heartfelt prayer for her. (I’m predicting she will go bonkers over the ride.) Hope to see you on the road this year. Cheers, knees.

Posted 3 days, 22 hours ago ago #1237062

• Profile photo of John
    flymoore6149
  • I have a BMC SL01 Road Racer, but my preferred ride is my Bianchi Pista single speed track bike. It was a blast last year so I can’t wait to take it through the driftless zone this time around…

Posted 2 days, 23 hours ago ago #1238168

• Profile photo of Brian
    Brian Englert
  • Hi!

I just bought my first road bike from a local gentleman last May after casually mentioning to him I’d like to try a road bike. Looking forward to taking it across Iowa this summer!

2003 Lemond Tourmalet 853 Steel Frame
    Shimano Tiagra/105 Groupset
    I’ve replaced/upgraded to Mavic Wheels and Tires, Look KEO pedals, Selle SMP saddle, Cateye Padrone

Posted 2 days, 12 hours ago ago #1238445

knees36
  • Yep, that’s my baby with a couple of changes and a worn original paint job. Thanks, ST, for the pic and the description. Makes me like it that much more. Knees.

Posted 2 days ago ago #1239168

• Profile photo of paul
    ppayne1959
  • My brand new fresh out of the box 2016 Orbea Orca with Ultegra Di2 electronic shifting. Test rode one last fall. I am giddy I am so excited to ride this baby! One serious road bike.

Posted 1 day, 12 hours ago ago #1239605

• Profile photo of Barin
    Barin Beard
  • Road tripping the USA this summer (live overseas) so I am probably going to show up on my Coconino mtn bike because my car is small and I can carry 1 bike in the trunk. Currently it has a 1×9 set-up. Will probably keep the knobby tires on it. But maybe I’ll bring my old Bridgestone (2×7) road bike along too…I don’t know yet.

Posted 1 day, 12 hours ago ago #1239615

• Profile photo of Kevin
    Gypsy Rose
  • Knees,

That 1982 Trek 728 is the same year as my Woodrup frame was made (and the year I built the bike around it).

Good to see the classics still on the road!

Cheers,
    ~ Kevin

Posted 1 day, 11 hours ago ago #1239633

knees36
  • Hello Kevin. I’ll keep an “eye out” for your Woodrup on the ride this summer.
    Cheers…Knees

Posted 1 day, 3 hours ago ago #1240161

• Profile photo of John
    jelly0317
  • 1972 Raleigh Super Course, TA triple, Phil Wood bb/hubs, Campy shifters/skewers, Brooks Pro saddle, Woody’s fenders, camo panniers

Posted 1 day, 3 hours ago ago #1240198

• Profile photo of Craig
    czysk
  • Kevin,
    The picture of you with your touring bike reminds me of Doug Clifford, the Credence Clearwater Revival drummer on the Cosmo’s Factory album cover

Posted 1 day, 1 hour ago ago #1240283

• Profile photo of Kevin
    Gypsy Rose
  • The picture of you with your touring bike reminds me of Doug Clifford, the Credence Clearwater Revival drummer on the Cosmo’s Factory album cover

czysk,

Yep, I’ve got that raggedy “I’ve been on the road for months without a haircut” look goin’ on in that photo (1985). CCR was a band I listened to a lot back then (and still do occasionally now). They even have a bike on that album cover.

Cheers,
    ~ Kevin

Posted 15 hours, 37 minutes ago ago #1240473

• Profile photo of Alan
    Alan_50501
  • Last year was my wife and I first time doing ragbrai,,,we both had trek 820’s in till last year we brought 2 road bikes she got a trek lexa I got a 1.2

Posted 10 hours, 13 minutes ago ago #1240789

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy