Forums Categories

• Categories

• Topics

Members

What did you do this week?

(12 posts) (10 voices)
Started 3 weeks ago by Cory Rood

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Geoff Geoff Butland 3 days, 21 hours ago.

I think this could be fun. Post what you did on a bicycle the last week. Update it every week, could be a good convo and motivation.

Got a new bike this week, 2017 Trek Domane ALR 4 Disc.

March 26th-13.5 miles 302ft of climb
March 27th-7.8 miles 297ft of climb
March 28th-25.2 miles 853ft of climb
March 31st-14.4 miles 713ft of climb
April 1st-30.9 miles 1615ft of climb

Yesturday’s ride turned into a longer than planned ride as the weather for the next 5 days here looks to be rainy so I figured I’d get an extra 10 miles in.

What did you do on a bike?

• Profile photo of Cory
    Cory Rood
  • I think this could be fun. Post what you did on a bicycle the last week. Update it every week, could be a good convo and motivation.

Got a new bike this week, 2017 Trek Domane ALR 4 Disc.

March 26th-13.5 miles 302ft of climb
    March 27th-7.8 miles 297ft of climb
    March 28th-25.2 miles 853ft of climb
    March 31st-14.4 miles 713ft of climb
    April 1st-30.9 miles 1615ft of climb

Yesturday’s ride turned into a longer than planned ride as the weather for the next 5 days here looks to be rainy so I figured I’d get an extra 10 miles in.

What did you do on a bike?

Posted 3 weeks ago ago #1256478

• Profile photo of Ken
    KenH
  • Slow week for me. A couple of 8 mile bike/train commutes and then an 18 mile ride to test out my new Five Ten Freerider shoes. I ditched the SPDs for platforms in January, the Freeriders are the last piece of that puzzle. I’d have to say that so far I am enjoying having pedals that are well and truly clipless!! Also put a new chain, brake pads, and one brake wire on the folding commuter bike. The old chain was soooo rusty that the chain breaker could not push any of the pins out and I had to cut it to get it off….

Posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago ago #1256790

• Profile photo of Lewis
    T. Gap Woo
  • Last week, Mrs. Woo and I trained in the high heat and humidity of SOUTHERN COSTA RICA. I won a week’s vacation to an eco-resort nestled between the mountainous rain forest/jungle and the Golfo Dolce (Sweet Gulf, “sweet” meaning “calm waters”) 25 miles north of the Panamanian border at approximately 8 degrees north latitude. Thank you, Pat Sajak, Vanna White, and Wheel of Fortune!!

There were no roads and no bicycles where were stayed, so we “settled” for hiking up and down steep, muddy mountain trails with grades close to 50% every day. Temperatures were in the mid-to-upper 90’s with a humidity level to match, EVERY DAY. Every afternoon between 3:00 and 7:00, we were treated to torrential downpours of 2-3″ off the Golfo Dolce. So much for the “dry” season! I also worked on building up my Iowa tan in the blistering sun.

Hopefully, the heat, humidity, and rain in Iowa won’t be as bad as what we both experienced last week. At least, we will be prepared. I definitely won’t complain about the heat, humidity, and rain on the route this year.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Posted 2 weeks, 5 days ago ago #1256885

• Profile photo of Kevin
    Gypsy Rose
  • Thirteen inches of heavy wet snow last Friday. Warmed up to 50 today, though. More snow forecast for tomorrow. The roads are six inches to a foot deep in mud. Got the truck buried to the frame crossing the water bar en route to work last week. Hustled back to the barn, debating whether a come-along was enough, or if I should bring a tractor. Opted for the winch, tied to a nearby tree. Got to work on time. Today, I looked at my bicycles, under cover in the barn. It’ll be another few weeks before I’ll be out riding.

For those of you who are already on the road, Enjoy!

Cheers,
    ~ Kevin

Posted 2 weeks, 5 days ago ago #1256951

• Profile photo of Cory
    Cory Rood
  • Gypsy, Ever considered a fat bike? I love mine, allows to me get some saddle time in when otherwise i’d be staring out the window.

Posted 2 weeks, 5 days ago ago #1257030

• Profile photo of George
    George A
  • My son and I took a trip to CA to visit colleges then went to Lake Tahoe and skied for the week. Skied Heavenly and Kirkwood for the week and took many climbs to the Ridge at Kirkwood and to the highest peak at Heavenly. We like to hike and get lines that very few others want to work for. Got home Saturday and then took a 17 miles ride on Sunday. Legs felt great but definitly not used to spinning. The cycling season has officially begun for me.

Posted 2 weeks, 5 days ago ago #1257080

• Profile photo of William
    W Fanning
  • March Weather in Charlotte NC can be all over the place.. Overall I did 217 miles in March, last week was decent..

Saturday 3/25 14.4 Miles with 531 elevation
    Sunday 3/26 21.58 Miles with 879 elevation
    Monday 3/27 14.1 Miles with 502 elevation
    Tuesday 3/28 7.15 Miles with 315 elevation
    Wednesday 3/29 25.61 Miles with 820 elevation

then on Saturday 4/1 went to Charleston SC to run Cooper River Bridge Run 10k..
    need to find mores hills to train on..

See you in Orange City..

Posted 2 weeks, 5 days ago ago #1257091

• Profile photo of WILLIAM
    Sandaltan
  • Congratulations on your “Wheel” winnings Mr. T Gap Woo!! A former traveling companion put me on to the show many years ago and I watch it nearly every evening, often thinking of her, she gave her life for others……… RIP.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 2 weeks, 4 days ago ago #1257141

• Profile photo of Cory
    Cory Rood
  • Didn’t get much on the bike the last two weeks due to weather and to 145 retaining wall block that needed to be set during the good weather. I’m gonna count building the retaining wall as training.

April 7-20.2 miles 395 ft of climb
    April 8-35.1 miles 755 ft of climb
    April 15-14.1 miles 441 ft of climb

between the 8th and 15th the weather was good but I needed to get 4 retaining walls built during the good weather instead of spending time on the bike. Hoping for good weather and getting back on the bike!

Posted 1 week ago ago #1260006

• Profile photo of Nick
    gringonick
  • Yesterday I rode only 10 windy miles here in south FL. Then went to brewpub and shared two flights of craft beer with wife, found out the bartender is a transplant from Omaha, so Ragbrai was mentioned. Met a wonderful couple next to us that has Ragbrai on their bucket list, so I chatted all things Ragbrai like a born again, glowing and in rapture, for about 2 hours. I hope to see them join us this year or certainly for 2018! Ate pork ribs while drinking craft beer and talking Ragbrai. A perfect day of training (except no pie).
    Preach Brother, Preach!
    Ride On!

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Profile photo of Nick gringonick.

Posted 1 week ago ago #1260150

• Profile photo of Barin
    Barin Beard
  • I don’t carry a phone or computer on my bike so not sure what my totals are.

A usual week here in SE China is M-W-F meeting up with colleagues at 5:15 AM and riding a 18.5 mile circuit. I do it on a single speed, so back home around 6:30 AM. Need to be at work at 8:00.

Yesterday, April 16, did a 130 km (81 mile) Gran Fondo. I was slow compared to my buddies. I used my geared mountain bike because of the mountains in the middle of the route.

The first third was mostly flat but following a valley upstream, so a gradual climb. The big Colorado-like climbs in the middle third of the ride. Not sure the elevation, but it was an 10+ mile climb and high enough for my ears to pop a couple of times. The descent down was crazy steep! Lots of 90 degree and 180 degree turns. So fun! The final third was more flat riding back to the starting point.

The ride was difficult, and made me think about bicycle set-up in regards to RAGBRAI, mainly taking off the clipless pedals and going with flat pedals and using ergonomic handlebar grips.

Back to the routine M-W-F morning rides and Saturday/Sunday 2 – 3 hour rides.

Posted 6 days, 8 hours ago ago #1260358

• Profile photo of Geoff
    Geoff Butland
  • I am averaging 65 miles a week so far, 71 last week. I started on a trainer in February – the roads didn’t really clear until the end of March here in Connecticut. Two weeks ago I rode a (very) flat 50 miles with no trouble. This is my first year on a recumbent and it’s been slow-going building up any kind of speed or hill climbing power. I am roughly following the training schedule from the RAGBRAI blog and I am definitely noticing steady improvement. Now if I could just shed a few pounds those hills might not be quite so tough!

Posted 3 days, 21 hours ago ago #1260778

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy