RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Forums Categories

Members

what little piece of advice do you have, funny or important.

(107 posts) (50 voices)
Started 1 year, 9 months ago ago by Denise Fuller
Latest reply from Satman 1 year, 8 months ago ago

Denise Fuller
  • What little piece of advice can you give new riders and this could be silly or common sense information.

Mine would be to remember to check the pressure on your tires every morning, I was so excited my first year I just jumped on my bike and road half the day on low tire pressure. It was the hardest day I ever had on RAGBRAI.

Hide money on your bike for emergency, my mom lost her money out her pocket but didn’t have money hidden, luckily I was close with my emergency money and she text me for help.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474492

jake d
  • Never apply anything to your chamois or your back side in total darkness. It’s a lousy way to find out you grabbed the wrong stuff.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474539

“Bicycle Bill”
  •   If you need to enter a cornfield to answer a call of nature, remember that corn is tall enough to hide in.  Soybeans are not.
      Now that you know which one is the cornfield, walk in about six or eight rows, then look back towards the road.  If you can still see riders on the road, they can also see you — go on in a little deeper.
      Once you’ve found a location, use the back of your heel to kick a little cathole in the dirt and do your business there.  When done, kick the dirt back over it.  The next person to enter the field, whether it’s another rider or the farmer himself, will appreciate it.
      And always carry some tissues with you; one of those little purse-sized packs of Kleenex is perfect, because you never know when the need will strike.  You don’t want to use a leaf off a cornstalk to clean yourself up if necessary; I know firsthand what the farmers spray on their corn and believe me when I say you don’t want to to wipe that sort of stuff up against your dainty bits.  You also never know when the Kybos will be empty….

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474541

Jboz
  • Carry small, lightweight items that can serve a multitude of purposes. Small packs of baby wipes, a few zip lock bags, a garbage bag are just a few examples.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474542

Jboz
  • Bring LOTS and LOTS of rain gear…because the more you bring, the lower the likelihood we will get rain :)

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474543

Michael Laber
  • If you are easing past the flow of traffic in the extreme left, realize that a faster rider may soon be on your tail and that they might not be polite. If you are leading a pace line along the extreme left side of the road and you come upon traffic in your path, do not scream “on your left” expecting the lead rider to collapse into an already crowed lane to the right. Rather, be patient, and show some class.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474544

Michrider
  • Beebs brings up a good point about paper. Consider any KYBO to be a paperless zone!!!!! These girls found out the hard way that corn ain’t always tall enough!!!

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474545

Ragbrai Nation
  • Gold Bond Powder to the crotch area will seriously light you up if you apply it AFTER you’ve already begun sweating. After making this mistake I had to pour a full bottle of water down my shorts to put the fire out. :-x

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474609

SFC JKL2
  • Put everything in ziplock bags. If you have a group, beer from a gas station is much cheaper than from the beer garden. Microfiber towels work awesome and dry quickly.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474665

miller6
  • SING! Sing out Loud… Sing out CLEAR… and let the whole world KNOW…. that you are coming into the corn and if anyone else should hear… they’ll sing out “Hey! I’m over here!”
    One of my favorites:
    “Singing in the Corn!” (very simular to Singing in the Rain… and that also can be used depending on the weather!)

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474695

“Bicycle Bill”
  • As a general rule, miller, you’ll always know that someone is in the corn ahead of you; their bicycle will be lying in the ditch/leaning against the fence near the point they went in.

RAGBRAI virgins also need to know that by long-held custom, men use the cornfields on the left-hand side of the road and women use the ones on the right.

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474696

gregonline
  • RAGBRAI virgins also need to know that by long-held custom, men use the cornfields on the left-hand side of the road and women use the ones on the right.

Really Bill? Been on three Ragbrai’s and never heard that one??

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474715

“Bicycle Bill”
  • Obviously then, greg, you were not paying attention.  PM me for more info.

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474754

IA_paddler
  • I thought singing out was to alert the corn bears. They usually don’t want anything to do with humans, but can be quite nasty if startled.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #474755

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy