Forums

Forums Categories

Members

When you say head winds ….

(25 posts) (15 voices)
Started 1 year, 6 months ago ago by Ed Kanitra
Latest reply from Ed Kanitra 1 year, 6 months ago ago

Ed Kanitra
  • …..how many mph are you talking about?

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494679

jwsknk
  • under 5 probably wont notice much, sustained 6-12 you’ll notice that after awhile , 13-20 with gusts 20-25+ peddling up and downhill and sometimes uphill is easier. those can be loong days if we head into it for 40-50 miles

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494680

John Arnold
  • Although I am a new commer to longer distant cycling, I’ve been able to get in quite a few miles this year, considering I live in a cold state (Iowa). One thing is for certain, riding into a headwind is WAY more difficult than I imagined it would be. As a former enthusiastic but not very fast distance runner, I sometimes enjoyed riunning against the wind because it had a cooling effect.

And while riding a bike against the wind has the same coolong effect, the extra effort required just isn’t worth it, IMO. On the other hand, when I turn around and ride with the wind, I feel like I am flying. And that is very much worth it.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494681

John Arnold
  • . . . and it’s always windy here. Des Moines ranks as the 4th windiest city in America. The good news is that there is typicall more wind out of the west and southwest in Iowa in late July. So that means more super hero time. :)

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494682

rjjensenia
  • Whenever possible I try to ride into the wind for the first leg of a distance ride, so when I am returning (and a bit fatigued) I will have tail winds that will help with the ride home .

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494683

CyclingRoberto
  • Not out of the question to experience sustained winds of 15-20 MPH. A blessing when it’s hot, but a curse for the effort required.

See you on the road.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494687

Peter Lake
  • Headwinds are a brutal life sucking natural phenomenon that frequent the dessicated plains of the great state of Iowa. Although some claim that they are random in nature I theorize that they are the souls of former slain vampires that come forth, called by the heat to swoop down and suck the very life’s blood from the casual rider. They lay low at night and only slightly stir at the rising of the sun but as the heat rises and the road heats up they are drawn like a moth to a flame to the heated asphalt. The rise up like an oncoming tsunami to hit the unsuspecting full on in the face with an unrelenting frontal assault which rapidly depletes water, energy and will power from all but the most diligent riders.They are a scourge across the land and should have been systematically wiped out like the buffalo and the passenger pigeon. I curse them and the horse they rode in on

…..I really don’t like them

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494696

lisa o
  • All I know is that I noticed on the windy day last year that I was peddling DOWN a significant hill going 14 miles an hour! Downhill! Peddling! Yep – me and SAG wagon had a date later on that day. No shame in my game!

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494701

Michrider
  • Wednesday 2012, that was one tough headwind! However when we made those turns out of the headwind, the heat (105 deg) coming up off the pavement was brutal!!! Heat or headwind, tough choice but luckily, we don’t get to choose!!!!

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494716

Jack in VA
  • Peter – I just might try riding at NIGHT and sleeping during the day next time!

Have done 13 RAGBRAI’s and the most memorable (in the worst way) were those days with a relentless headwind and a route that had us traveling straight into it for MANY MANY MILES! Last years’ Century day sits freshest on my mind. I’ll never forget heading straight east into Coralville (Iowa City) for over 30 miles with a 15 – 20+ wind in our face.

THAT WHICH DOES NOT KILL US – WILL ONLY MAKE US WISH IT HAD!
    When you do find yourself in a really bad headwind condition,
    Repeat over and over – “I’m Not At Work… I’m Not At Work… I’m Not At Work”.
    An occasional “I paid for this crap” helps too.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494718

dpackboy
  • Wind in Iowa are just like hills in Iowa or the Loch Ness Monster or Bigfoot (the critter not the truck) are just the spurious rambling of a demented mind.

Let me say this for the record, there are no hills or winds in Iowa!

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494801

Ed Kanitra
  • I have to chuckle at the direction this thread has taken. The only reason I asked was I was out riding yesterday, what I thought was going to be a nice, easy 30 mile ride. When I reached the 1/2 way point the winds started to pick up, and I was really struggling. As I was riding my thoughts were of ragbrai. “Please don’t let them be this strong” When I got home I checked the weather on line and the winds were 23mph gusting to 28. So is that what lays in store for me in Iowa?

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494823

John Arnold
  • Ed, no the winds are not usually that bad. Who knows, maybe we’ll have very little head wind. Either way, with the mileage your putting in, it will be no problem. I can’t believe how excited I am and it’s still 100+ days away.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494824

Ed Kanitra
  • John Arnold: I can’t believe how excited I am and it’s still 100+ days away.

I know what you mean!
    I don’t think an hour passes that I don’t think about it!

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494827

CyclingRoberto
  • I beg to differ with the idea that the winds in Iowa are “not usually that bad.” Last year, and in previous years, I’ve experienced headwinds in the steady 20 MPH range. Given the lack of TREES or any other type of shelter (mountains, buildings, etc) this can be daunting. Training helps big time, but you have to be prepared for the punishment psychologically as well.

See you on the road.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #494836

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy