RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Where are the Hills?

(36 posts) (18 voices)
Started 1 year, 1 month ago ago by KC
Latest reply from Michrider 1 year ago ago

KC
  • So, where on the route are the hills I need to dread?

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #482747

jwsknk
  • day 2 until past Springbrook’s Mockingbird Hill. Maybe a little longer than Lehigh last year, starts off with a nice little grade going around a curve, then a little more grade before the next curve, then the real part of the hill

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #482777

Jon Harman
  • Last year, someone posted a link to a mapmyride or googlemaps that outlined each segment of the trail, except the Karras loop that was exceptional in reviewing the elevation changes. Near June, the Iowa Geological Society(?) posted a wonderful expose on each day’s features, topology, and natural history. Looking forward to both these posts this year. Day 2 Mockingbird hill near Springbrook SP has been mentioned as well as many rolling hills. I bought a DeLorme IOWA Atlas & Gazatteer to preview XL’s route and I am remarking and studying it now! It’s a little warmer here in east central Missouri, so I have started training already. I love the anticipation of Ragbrai!

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #482780

Duane Huesers
  • If you haven’t found it yet – think it was just posted yesterday – check out the Geobike Profiles under the Routes and Maps tab above.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #482781

jwsknk
  • http://www.geobike.com/geobike/gbmain.shtml
    they have all the past routes with the profiles, Eventually they will get this years up too. Don’t know what kind of detail the Register will have this Sunday when they are publishing it in the paper.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #482782

pmac
  • From the geobike profile, it looks like the biggest, or one the biggest, hills for the whole week will be about 5 miles from the start on the first day. My guess is that it will be a bit of an early morning reality check for some riders!

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #482806

Bill from Panora
  • Hey jwskunk, is mockingbird hill east side of Springbrook or on hwy 25?

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #482832

Sandaltan
  • I concur with Stuckinmizzou, Iowa is flat, there are no hills of consequence.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #482837

jake d
  • ….And the wind is always at your back.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #482853

getaclueblue
  • Every time I turned a corner last year, the wind was in my face. How can that be?

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #482877

jwsknk
  • Yeah Bill, east of the creek and the road to the group campground on 25, winds around the edge of the park then flattens out about at the Bagley turn then pretty flat to Yale.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #483337

Dan in Iowa
  • DO the century loop! That is pretty much nothing but hills! I live in the area and ride it all the time. South out of Kimballton is the infamous Creamery Hill. Mockingbird Hill is just a bump! That loop is pretty country!

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #483353

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy