Forums

Forums Categories

Members

XLIII – 2015 route

(31 posts) (16 voices)
Started 4 months ago ago by jwsknk
Latest reply from Clayhill 1 month, 3 weeks ago ago

jwsknk
  • The route area hasn’t been as easy to predict the past few years. the north, middle south pattern seems to have been broken. So this next one I was going to say south.

Glenwood/ (last start 39), Clarinda/(last stay 31), Creston (last stay 25), Leon (last stay 9), Centerville (last stay 9), Ottumwa (last stay 37), Washington (last stay 28), and Muscatine (last finish 34).

But then thinking, maybe they owe Perry and Marshalltown a redo.
    Missouri Valley (last start 36), Audubon (last stay 34, hot hot hot), Perry (last stay 41 rain out concert), Ames (last stay 37), Marshalltown (last stay 40, also rain out), Montezuma (pass through on 29 and 34), Washington and Muscatine.

For sure south of Hiway 20, probably mostly south of Hiway 30 (Perry-Ames Marshalltown drift 10 miles north for awhile).

anyway, it’s been way too quiet around here :-)

Posted 4 months ago ago #900471

Sandaltan
  • The Williamsburg city council is interested. • “The council also empowered council member Bunge to begin an application for Williamsburg to become a host town for RAGBRAI 2015. The council is considering submitting the application to the organization to be considered to be a host town or pass-through town for the event next year.” “The application is due on Aug. 15, 2014.”
    Camanche City Council wants to be the end town in 2015:
    “RAGBRAI – the city sent an application in last year to host the final day of RAGBRAI. Fahlbeck stated it will be a lot of work. He has had good feedback from the community. He would like to see if there is support from the council. Roth has heard a lot of people in favor of hosting the final day. He will check with the school to see if they are still on board for using their grounds for parking.
    Moved by Wruck, second by Varner, to authorize Roth to submit an application on behalf of the City to host the final day of RAGBRAI 2015. On roll call – all ayes.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 3 months, 4 weeks ago ago #900733

wrj
  • If Davenport was picked for the end town, Muscatine could be used for an overnight town. Two towns on the Mississippi, and an end town could benefit from being an overnight town.

Posted 3 months, 4 weeks ago ago #900782

Daniel Kramer
  • Riding along the Mississppi would add miles. I think three towns come to mind, Missouri Valley, Washington, and Musatine. Connect the dots.
    DK.

Posted 3 months, 4 weeks ago ago #901955

Sandaltan
  • Ending with a ride along the river: Glenwood to Clarinda 55 miles, to Greenfield 67 miles, to Norwalk 49 miles, to Oskaloosa 63 miles, to Mount Pleasant 75 miles, to Muscatine 56 miles, ending in Bettendorf 42 mile. These are minimum mileage between town. Bike routes will be farther.

RIDE RIGHT (The Magic Napkin was not consulted for this route)

Posted 3 months, 3 weeks ago ago #910229

wrj
  • The Muscatine Journal reported that the city council would be discussing having Ragbrai in 2015 but I have not found the result of their discussion. So I do not know if a Ragbrai invitation was approved by Muscatine city council. Maybe some day?

Posted 3 months, 3 weeks ago ago #910724

Clayhill
  • Muscatine – another mid-Iowa route. Nothing wrong with Muscatine, but probably would cap off another central, I-80 route.

Posted 3 months, 3 weeks ago ago #911497

T. Gap Woo
  • Ahhhhh the speculation begins!

I like the idea of riding between two towns along the Mississippi River, one as an overnight town on Friday night and the other as the end town on Saturday. In addition to adding miles to the ride, the overnight town on Friday would certainly reap the economic benefits that they would otherwise miss as an end town. Pass-through towns would also benefit.

There are several city pairs that have been end towns and they know how to organize for our rolling Mardi Gras. These pairs come to mind: Dubuque-Clinton; Clinton-LeClaire; Burlington-Keokuk; Ft. Madison-Burlington; Dubuque-Iowa’s portion of the Quad Cities I’m sure there are other pairs as well.

It’s been said many times by many people that “Money is like manure. If you let it sit around, it starts to stink. It doesn’t do any good unless you spread it around.” Let’s share the wealth that RAGBRAI generates!

See you along the I-O-Way!

Posted 3 months, 3 weeks ago ago #912200

mootsman
  • 1–Make the shortest day the last day please
    2–Make the end town not so small it creates traffic jams for team vehicles.

Posted 3 months, 3 weeks ago ago #913447

Clayhill
  • Mootsman – Council Bluffs would make a great end town. Plenty big, close to a major airport.

Posted 3 months, 3 weeks ago ago #913549

Sunflower
  • Its been a while since the last day has been short and I think there is an obvious reason for that: avert hooliganism created by the “tomorrow is a short day” mentality.

60 seems to be the number they don’t want to drop below now. Still easily covered before noon if you are motivated.

Posted 3 months, 3 weeks ago ago #916510

SFC JKL2
  • Two things I’ve had on my wish list. A true century day (not just the loop) and a ride along the river at the end.

Another thing to note is the ride tend to zigzag north and south. No matter where it starts or ends, it will hit the I-80 corridor sometime. Hard to avoid when it goes down the middle of the state.

I would like to start in the south corner diagonally up to the northeast.

Posted 3 months, 3 weeks ago ago #917425

Clayhill
  • SFC – I’d like that south corner to north corner diagonal route. I’d also like north corner to south corner diagonal route. And I’d like an east to west route, maybe once every six or seven years. Mostly the same RAGBRAI we all know and love, but with a twist in the route every so often.

Posted 3 months, 3 weeks ago ago #919152

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy