RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Young DSM Couple Looking for Team

(9 posts) (7 voices)
Started 1 year, 4 months ago ago by Ash
Latest reply from Here4TheRide 1 year, 1 month ago ago

Ash
  • My husband and I are looking for a team! We live in Des Moines, were recently married, are 23 and like to have a good time. We’re avid cyclists and in good shape, but we don’t do pace lines etc. on RAGBRAI. We’re looking for some likeminded folks who need some team members! If you can help us let me know!

Things we like: craft beer, cycling, the environment (both work in environmental sector)
    My husband is a vegetarian and I am a vegan–just a forewarning.

Ash

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #478537

Ash
  • Also! We have never done all of RAGBRAI. We have done about three days each for the past two years. We HAVE done long distance touring though.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #478538

Reed
  • Saw your post and had to tell you about my vegan daughter last year. My 18-year old daughter and I did the Okoboji triathlon on Saturday and then drove down to Sioux Center on Sunday early for the first day of Ragbrai 2012. We were joining a couple of my friends from San Diego. My daughter partied like a rock star Saturday night and barely made it to the start line in Sioux Center. She insisted on sticking to her vegan diet on the ragbrai route. We normally eat all organic foods at our house but I was eating pancakes, pork chops, pies and ice cream. Finally, after a couple hours of 100+ degree heat I talked her into a few Clif bars and bananas. She snarfed them down like a ravaged POW. She made it to Cherokee but was in no mood to stick around for the BBQ. My advice, give up the vegan diet during ragbrai! Take care and God Bless.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #479853

jill
  • I have to disagree!
    No need to give up the vegan diet! I’m a vegan (9 years & counting) & if you plan accordingly then RAGBRAI & vegan needs mix fine. :)
    primal strips (vegan jerky = 10 grams of protein/strip), peanut butter packets, fruits, nuts, dried fruit, bean pastas (I packed a lot of my own food), oatmeal etc. let me know if you want ideas!

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #482374

Reed
  • Come on Jill, those goodies sound great but you still have to live a little. Why do vegans want the world to know how long they have been vegan? I am just teasing you because I hear the same from my daughter. LOL. I do understand that Nebraska and Iowa is the home of processed everything, meats with antibiotics, polluted water, yadda yadda yadda. Factory and industrialized farming is only going to continue to make America sick. I just love the people in Iowa. Eat organic Jill, but have some grass fed organic beef and organic chicken along with the nuts and veggies.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #483026

Drew Fayram
  • I know the owner of the “carbo hut” vending stand that travels along the route all week! They are a family of vegetarians and vegans themselves and you can trust that their ingredients are as fresh as possible. Look for them on the route!

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #487628

Tommy
  • We are a diverse group of riders with a wide age range. The vegetarian/vegan thing is your choice and we’ll drink any beer. Have a great bus, camp at private homes and based in D.M. Very fun but not stupid! So much more to share. If interested replay and we’ll work a way to talk.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #494695

Here4TheRide
  • The world needs more vegans… they’re delicious grilled to a medium turn and served with a garlic and white wine sauce! :-P

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #506602

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy