The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

2009 RAGBRAI

Condolences to the Myers Family

The Des Moines Register and RAGBRAI are saddened by the death of Professor Donald D. Myers.  Our thoughts are with his family, his extended family at Missouri University of Science and Technology and his RAGBRAI team.  Dr. Myers was a registered rider on RAGBRAI and had been a part of the ride for several years.

12 Comments

Reed Black, Jul 27, 2009 at 5:35 pm

I was immediately behind Dr. Myers on Saturday as we went down the hill onto the damn. He was in the right hand lane and I was approximately 20 feet behind in the left lane. As we approached the bottom of the hill, he hit a bump and lost control of his bike, went over his handle bars and hit the pavement, crossing in front of me. I swerved to the right and barely avoided hitting him. I had just looked at my speed-39 mph. I yelled “biker down” and slowed, but there were already several bikes stopped to aid him and I had seen an ambulance at the top of the hill before we went down. I told my wife, who was a few hundred yeards behind that I had narrowly avoided going down myself and we both hoped that he would recover. I am sorry that he did not.

Sheila Merrell, Jul 28, 2009 at 7:54 am

Don rode his first RAGBRAI as a member of Team Recycle back in the ’90s. What a pleasant and sincere man he was. Our team was enhanced by his calm and generous manner. We are heartbroken that he died but know he was doing one of the things he truly loved to do – bike in beautiful Iowa.

Karen Kokesh, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:28 am

Great memories of Don from years back when he did a lot of in St. Louis. He was a really good person and will be missed by all who were fortunate to know him.

Jim Cubit, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:41 am

Don was a running buddy of mine when we both worked at what was then called the University of Missouri-Rolla in the 70’s and 80’s. I remember him fondly as a kind, thoughtful, and generous man with a wry sense of humor. We had lost touch over the years and I wish I had known we were both RAGBRAI participants.
My sincere condolences to Don’s family.

Mark Spoo, Jul 28, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Saw the commotion going towards the Dam Saturday morning.

Sincere condolences to the Myers Family.

Jeff Busby, Jul 29, 2009 at 6:51 am

Don Myers was my teacher, advisor, Fraternity brother and friend. His plan was to take a year off teaching to move to DC and work for 1 year. He was participating in this ride and then to DC. At age 69 Don Myers accomplished more than most in one life time and he was not done. I am deeply saddened by this tragedy. Don impacted me in many ways but most of all, he always did the right thing and was continually forward thinking. He once showed me his log of the 38,000 miles he had run from the end of law school till his knees wouldn’t allow him to run. I believe he had a similar log for biking. Don has impacted so many individuals in only positive ways, he will be missed by so many people. Rest in peace, Don.

Barb bents, Aug 3, 2009 at 8:02 pm

I didn’t know Don personally,however,everyone on Ragbrai is considered family at least for that week. My sincere thoughts go out to all Don’s family.

Tim Hill, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:36 am

I have the same deep respect for Dr. Meyers that Jeff Busby has. He and I had Don as both a faculty advisor for our degree and advisor for other campus organizations. He was incredibly brilliant and an excellent instructor and guide that had a lasting impact on me and I will be forever greatful for that. My condolences go out to his family and may he rest in peace.

Joseph Schlau, Aug 7, 2009 at 11:01 am

Myself and another rider from my team were just entering the downhill stretch toward the dam. A Conservation Police Officer had just pulled to the left shoulder and he was out of the car actively warning riders of the rider down and to stay right.

His quick action probably prevented a number of secondary crashes.

Jon Delano, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:46 am

I just came across Don’s death notice on the St.Louis Track Club website and can say that my life was blessed by having known this wonderful person.Don ran all the runs that I directed both in St.Clair & St Louis,MO for many years and I found the man to be ephitamy of what everyone strives for in life- to not only love,but to be loved and respected, by his family, friends, colleagues and the community at large. Don, I know you and your perfect hair will be watching over those of us you left behind – much too early.

Edmund, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Considerably, the post is in fact the freshest on this notable topic. I concur together with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward for your next updates.I will immediately grab your rss feed to keep abreast of any updates.

Kristanna, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:43 pm

What an awesome way to explain this—now I know evetrhiyng!